Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Caribbean Rice and Beans

When I make regular red beans and rice, I often get groans of "not beans!"  from my older sons.  I am not sure if they are worried about the bean side-effects and the success of their social lives or if they just don't like the flavor of the dish.  So I did a little creative mixing.  I combined two recipes, added a few other ingredients, renamed the entire dish and Voila!  I had boys shoveling these beans into their mouths like there was no tomorrow.  I think I have my answer.  The ham flavored beans just don't light the kids' fires like these do.

So what's different?  First off, there is no ham, only sausage in this dish.  I used aborio rice for a creamier texture.  Then I added some unexpected herbs and spices: cinnamon, allspice and cumin.  Actually, the boys only complaint about this dish was that there was no flat bread to eat with it.  Next time, I will take the time to make a nice soft naan-like bread. 

Caribbean Rice and Beans
1 pound sausage or ground pork
2 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp cumin
2 cups chicken broth
1 14 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (about 2 cups)
1 cup aborio rice
salt & pepper to taste 
In a large Dutch oven, brown the sausage and drain all but 1 Tbsp fat.  Add the onions, peppers and garlic and cook until tender.  Add the herbs and spices along with the broth, beans and rice.    Bring to a boil and then cover and cook at medium low for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender.  Serve plain or with a wrap or some sort.

27 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

So sausage is the secret. Awesome.

Kim - Liv Life said...

MMM! MMM!!! MMM!! I'm with the boys, this one I would love! I can guarantee my husband would clean his plate. Nice!

Ann said...

Wow - that looks amazing! Who knew that such a small change would bring about BIG results!

Blackswan said...

What a simply one-dish meal perfect for week nites! Bet it's delicious :)

Angie's Recipes said...

I am very sure my husband will love this! Looks so tasty.

jillconyers said...

Hi Kristen. Stopped by to follow via GFC and realized I'm already a follower. Glad we're in touch again.

This looks especially delicious this morning because I woke up hungry! I love Caribbean flavor. I'd tweak it a bit with turkey sausage and brown rice. I'll let you know how it works out :)

Blog: Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

FB: Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Delicious - going to make this tonight!! Love the idea of using the sausage - I'lll bet it makes all the difference!
Mary

Valerie @ My-2-cents said...

Well my kids love beans and rice but this sounds like a delicious change we'll have to try. I was sent over from Voiceboks Members to remember. Please visit me back at My 2 Cents Thank you.

Michelle @ The Willing Cook said...

I have put sausage in my beans & rice before but not the spices you've mentioned. I can't wait to make this recipe!

briarrose said...

Such a neat flavor going on here....definitely must give these a try as the hubby would love them.

Kelly said...

This looks delicious! I'm no cook and I never would have considered allspice and cinnamon with beans and rice before. I would love to get my family to try this. I have a hard time getting my kids to eat anything with beans, but I love them. Thanks for the recipe!

Monet said...

Now I have to try this! Beans that don't make kids run in the other direction? These sound delicious, my friend! I hope you are having a wonderful week. I've been busy baking a cake for my grandparent's anniversary. Much love...and thanks for making me smile.

Kenny said...

This is great! Your blog is great! :) Visited from VB :)

Prathima Rao said...

Yumm...yummm!!!! This looks so good & inviting!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Emily Malloy said...

Oh how DELISH

Michelle said...

That sounds really yummy! I love Red Beans and Rice! Any way they come.
Stopping in from vB Members to remember!

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen said...

The title just doesn't do this dish justice. It is so much more than beans and rice. Yum!

Sue said...

So gratifying when the kids gobble up the meal:) This bean dish sounds perfect for fall.

Jacqueline said...

THAT is a great dish! We frequently do beans and rice in our home and I think this recipe would be a good vegetarian option as well with the right spices. Thanks for stopping by Nurtured Beauty and following you back from VB!

Sandra said...

I love this dish looks like something we had in the Bahamas.

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful. Love rice dishes.

kita said...

lol, I'm mean and just let Handsome complain about beans. He can always pick around them! These beans and rice sound awesome! And with some bread, Im sure some beans would be eaten without complaint as well!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

This looks fabulous! I love rice and beans!! Yours sounds delicious!

Kim Bee said...

This looks absolutely amazing. Such a great recipe. I love kidney beans.

Viviane Bauquet Farre said...

Kristen, what a creative way to get the boys excited about beans again. The pleasant dark colors of this dish could accompany a really bright entree very gracefully. Thank you for sharing this delicious and versatile recipe!

mywanderingspoon said...

Kristen, no matter what kids say, you dish is super:)
Looks tasty and delich:)

Lynne said...

A nice hearty meal for guys! Looks delicious-the allspice lends a bit of a "jerk style" to the dish. A great combo of flavors!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.