Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Caramel Thumbprints with Chocolate Glaze (12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies)


Can you believe that Christmas is just around the corner???  Last year, I saw so many of my blogging friends participating in the 12 weeks of Christmas Cookies linky.  I was thrilled to find out how to join just in time this year.  Brenda over at Meal Planning Magic is hosting this event and you can still join in the fun.
I wanted to start out my series with a gloppy, decadent cookie.  After all, the holidays are the time to serve fancy, sugary treats.  Thumbprints are one of my family's favorite cookies.  Normally, I put jam in them, but this time, I filled the little wells with caramel and topped them off with a chocolate glaze.  I also switched out regular sugar for brown sugar, giving the cookies an extra butterscotch flavor.

Caramel Thumbprints with Chocolate Glaze:
for the cookie
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
for the filling
14 caramels
1 1/2 Tbsp milk
for the glaze
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening
Cream the butter and brown sugar.  Add the egg and vanilla, mix thoroughly, scraping down the bowl.  Add the flour and mix well.  Place teaspoon sized balls of dough onto a cookie sheet.  Make an indentation with your thumb and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 8 minutes.  Cool on a rack.  Place caramels and milk in a small microwavable bowl and heat for 1 minute.  Stir until smooth.  (If not completely smooth, heat for another 30 seconds and stir).  Spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling into each cookie dent.  In another small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and shortening.  Stir until smooth and then spoon into a plastic bag.  Cut a tiny hole in one of the corners and pipe the glaze over the cookies in a swooshing motion.  Let sit for at least 20 minutes before serving to set (and to cool because that filling will be quite hot).

37 comments:

Prathima Rao said...

Oh my Kristen...I just can`t stop from staring at these super tempting cookies!!!! Caramel is one of the most delicious filling you can use for cookies :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Jay said...

wow...I'm incredibly impressed dear..:P
Tasty Appetite

Nisa Homey said...

I wish I had these for tea today....filled with caramel.... YUM!

Lizzy said...

Oh, what a delicious cookie! I make a similar one but with nuts. My family would love your nutless version!

Pam @ From Apples To Zucchini said...

Oh wow do these look amazing! You can't go wrong with caramel and chocolate in this house! Happy to be baking along with you this year!

RavieNomNoms said...

I love thumbprint cookies. So cute and SO delicious!

Three-Cookies said...

Nice cookie, and this is the first reminder that Xmas is coming!

kita said...

These thumbprints look so yummy! I am super excited to see you are participating in the 12 weeks of Christmas cookies! I just joined and am pumped!

onewetfoot.com said...

Delicious-looking cookies. I love the 12 weeks of Christmas cookies links I've been seeing. It's scary that the year's gone by so quickly, though!

Erin said...

I don't often make thumb print cookies, but these look amazing! Most of the time I see them filled with fruit, and I love that these aren't!

Tiffanee said...

Oh WOW! Those look so delicious! I really want one or two, ok maybe more right now!!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

I LOVE thumbprint cookies and this is a brilliant twist! They look incredibly good!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Wow everything looks amazing!! :)

Pamela said...

These cookies are everything a Christmas cookie should be, in my humble opinion. Caramel! How could you possibly go wrong! :)

Jen at The Three Little Piglets said...

Thinking about Christmas cookies always gets me excited too! Even if it's still September...

Jessica said...

I will definitely be making a version of these... I *love* caramel!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I am dieting this season for my daughter's spring wedding but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy your cookies vicariously! I love the caramel center in your cookies!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Oh my! These look so amazingly good!! Bring on the Christmas cookies!

Martha said...

Have you seen these? they're making my mouth water...

http://bakememore.com/2009/02/15/sorry-kelloggs-these-pop-tarts-will-make-you-crumble/

Joanne said...

The caramel center definitely makes these way better than your run-of-the-mill thumbprints!

Tiffany said...

You can NEVER go wrong with caramel!

Trisha said...

I can only imagine how amazing this cookie tasted with the caramel and the chocolate topping! Lovely recipe to start of the 12 Weeks series!

Ann said...

These look delicious and decadent! Caramel and chocolate is a favorite! I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Mary said...

These look wonderful, Kristin! I adore thumbprint cookies and caramel is an awesome change.

ping said...

Christmas?! Already?! I'd better get my act together ...
Those cookies look mouth watering! I like the word "gloppy" ... sounds ooey gooey nice!

Erin said...

Oh my heck! YUM!!! These look amazing!

Miz Helen said...

Glad to know where to go to find the Christmas Goodies. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

Kalyan said...

Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

Cathy W said...

Your cookies look amazing! I like that you did caramel instead of jam. I'm thinking these will be a hit for me to bring to work--just copied the recipe--thank you! :)

Amy said...

Thanks for linking up this week!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Quay Po Cooks said...

Kristen, got to make some cookies after seeing those yummy photos.

Susan Lindquist said...

Haha! Kristin! It's never to soon for Christmas cookies! Your carmel thumbprints look pretty awesome! I always love it when the cookies are decorated with a little dash of chocolate - makes everything look so decadent and special!

Jamie said...

These look so yummy. I love the caramel center and chocolate drizzle. A very pretty cookie.

Drick said...

very nice thumbprint, I have not made a caramel one before, I like it... wish I had time to join in this hop, it looks to be a great one... hope your weekend is going great...

Beth said...

Christmas baking already? I can't believe how organized you are!

Sue said...

Great idea to switch out caramel for the jam, and with chocolate to boot! YUM!

Patty H. said...

These look awesome! I've been thinking about getting started on deciding what cookies I'm going to make for Christmas; it's hard to believe it's not that far off!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.