Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sophisticated Foil Dinners

 One of the saddest parts of my last move was leaving the grill behind.  Not that I think I'd like to be standing over a hot grill in August in way! But the idea of being able to just head out to the patio to grill up some kabobs or some vegetables starts me hoping to purchase a new one soon (of course the stores have already cleared out this year's supply, so it will have to be next spring!)  Luckily, foil dinners can be made in the oven as well as on the grill.
These particular foil dinners were created for the adult palates in the house.  They contained artichokes, pea pods, asparagus and tomatoes, so I had no trouble saving the extras for my own lunch later in the week.  Now if I had filled them with potatoes and ham, it would have been another story altogether!

 Chicken Foil Dinners (adapted from The Sonoma Diet) (Makes 4 dinners)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, in 1/2 inch slices
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 cups trimmed pea pods
1 can artichoke parts, drained and cut (hearts or bottoms)
1 cup tomatoes, sliced
In a medium bowl, combine the oil, oregano, thyme, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Add chicken slices to bowl, toss to coat and let stand (I actually let mine marinate in the fridge for a while) while preparing veggies.  Prepare four large pieces of foil (I like to tear two sheets and lay them on top of each other criss-cross so there are four long sides to fold over the food -- so that would end up being eight pieces of foil).  Arrange 1/4 of the vegetables on each of the four pieces.  Divide the chicken up between them and lay that on top.  Crimp the foil closed.  Grill on a medium barbecue or bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.  (Carefully open one to peek and see if it's done before removing from heat).


Martha said...

As a kid at camp I learned to make foil dinners too. We used a hamburger patty, carrot sticks, sliced onions and chunks of potato seasoned with salt and pepper. We wrapped it up in foil and tossed them into the hot coals of a campfire. Mmm!

Drick said...

love that dressing you got going on in there, it sounds so good, bet it wood make a great kabob marinade too... kind of what this reminds me of, all wrapped up, great idea

Ann said...

This sounds fabulous! I have to say - I'm a mid-summer griller....heck I grill anytime of the year! I hope you're able to find a's worth it!

In the mean time - WOWZA - this looks incredible! I agree with the previous poster - fabulous dressing!

Prathima Rao said...

I so love piping hot foil meals...This looks so comforting, somple & a memorable (for the palate!!) combo!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Three-Cookies said...

Sounds awesome. Give it a French name and the sophisticated dinner becomes ultra sophisticated:) Have a great weekend

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

wonderful idea - I love just wrapping it all up and popping it in the oven and it's done - great flavors too!

Miriam said...

Foil dinners are SO perfect for camp outs. Great recipe! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Lizzy said...

Oh, I love your adult version of foil packets...mmmmmm.

Roxana GreenGirl said...

I love foil dinners. it was the only way I could cook fish without overcooking it. Hooray to the foil!

Christine's Pantry said...

I love foil dinners. Yum!

Sue said...

I am so going to make this! We call them hobo dinners:)

Clayton Thomas said...

Visiting from Voiceboks. Your recipe looks delicious. Following you on Twitter as well!

twitter: @claylauren2001

Kathy said...

I love foil dinners but have not really done them since I had my kids 12 years ago!! I will have to try it again!! What a fun site!! So glad to find you on VoiceBoks!! I'm now a happy new follower!!

Baking Serendipity said...

I love your fancy take on foil dinners. So easy! And even though it's warm to be grilling outside in the Phoenix heat, it's worse to turn on the oven I think! Will have to give this a try :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.