Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Low (almost no) Sugar Peach Crisp

 I have a thing for peach crisp.  Maybe it's the oatmeal in the topping.  Maybe it's the peaches.  Probably it's the fact that I can make it with very little sugar and still feel like I am eating a sweet dessert.  Peaches, when they are ripe, are like candy to me.
 So, you will find more than one peach crisp recipe on my blog  There is one that uses crystallized fructose.  That was Formula 1.  Then I made one with coconut oil.  Formula 2.  This one, Formula 3, has just a bit of agave in the filling because the peaches I used were not ripe enough.  The topping is completely sweetener free.  The peach is the star of the show all the way.
 See, I make the gloppy, sugar laden desserts for my family.  I would much rather have a piece of cheese and a fruit of some sort for dessert.  A few times a year, I indulge and make something like peach crisp just. for. me.  My kids respect that...because they know that I will get up extra early and make them donuts for breakfast.
Low Sugar Peach Crisp (adapted from I Can't Believe This Has No Sugar!)
4-6 peaches, peeled and sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 1/2 Tbsp agave nectar
Combine the peaches with the cinnamon, tapioca and butter in a bowl.  Place in a 8X8 greased pan.  Drizzle with agave nectar.  Sprinkle with topping and bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Serve with whipped cream.
Topping:
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
4 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup flaked coconut (I used unsweetened, but use what you have)
In a bowl, mix topping ingredients together with a fork.

18 comments:

Ryan said...

I share your great love of peaches! They are the best and the season is over way too quickly! I love the idea of a low sugar crisp!!! This sounds and looks wonderful! I have some ripening peaches that would be perfect for this. :)

Tina said...

This is a recipe that really lets the lovely taste of the peaches shine though and sometimes that is just what I crave. I just used up the last of my peaches and I will be on the lookout for more. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe.

The Better Baker said...

What a peachy-keen recipe!! Love that it's low sugar...looks awesome. Thanks for sharing your creativity. Wish I could be there to help you enjoy this one. *_*

Something Swanky said...

Coming to you from vB! This looks delicious-- I just did a cobbler last week :) I'm following you on GFC, FB, Stumble, and Twitter! Would love a follow back when you get a sec to check out my dessert blog :)

Also stumbling this post!!

Ashton
http://www.somethingswanky.com
{Sweet Treats Thursday} Thu-Sun

Three-Cookies said...

Great to include coconut in the topping, awesome.

Prathima Rao said...

A healthy, mouthwatering treat!!! Loved the crunchy topping :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Mommy LaDy Club said...

Yummy! I love peaches too, and I'm allergic to most fruits, but peaches don't bother me as much. Less sweet just like you have it sounds perfect! Thanks for a good one, and thank you for coming by Mommy LaDy Club:)
Courtney

Monet said...

What a great way to showcase one of my favorite summer fruits! I love using agave nectar in place of sugar. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm eager to try it out on my own. I love visiting your blog before my work day. I need to begin with a smile :-) Have a wonderful rest of your week!

Drick said...

I know what you mean about fresh peaches, when they are juicy and ripe, ain't nothing better, no sugar needed really... like peach anything esp a good dessert like this one...

Tiffany said...

I, too, can't believe there's no sugar! AWESOME!

Claudia said...

For me, the grandest thing about summer fruits - is - you don't need sugar! Perfect and luscious for the season.

Happy When Not Hungry said...

I love crisps and this looks delicious! Love that it's low sugar too!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

I love peach crisp and this sounds great with the agave syrup, great alternative to lots of sugar!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this is so creative:) thank you for sharing this version. i would love to try this soon.

Tiffanee said...

Oh I love peaches this is the perfect dessert!! Thanks!

Erin said...

I love crisps. I have never made one with peaches, just apples. This sounds great though!

Ann said...

Kristen - this is stunning! I'm with you - ripe peaces are like candy! What a great idea to use alternative methods to sugar...

Curt said...

That looks delicious. And almost no sugar. Just goes to show you can eat your sweets and still keep it healthy!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.