Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Beef Taquitos: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

My family has always loved Mexican food of all kinds.  Our two years in Arizona only reinforced that love affair.  Now that we are in Florida, there aren't Mexican restaurants on every other corner. When I  find myself craving South-of-the Border flavors, I have to head to my kitchen.  Luckily, there are still good Latin sections in the grocery stores in this area.
I found a recipe for Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos on The Kitchen Witch's blog.  The only problem I had on the day that I decided to make them was the fact that I had thawed hamburger instead!  So, with a bit of tweaking, I came up with a beef filling instead.  My kids had a friend over who joined us for dinner that night.  He went home and told his mom that she had to get the recipe from me....so I think it was a success.  I loved the fact that these babies are nice and crunchy without frying.  A little olive oil on the baking sheet and a squirt of cooking spray on top was enough to form a lovely crunch.

Beef Taquitos (adapted from the Kitchen Witch)
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, minced fine
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried cilantro
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp bulk taco mix (if you only have the envelopes, save the rest for another dish)
5 ounces cream cheese (because that's how much I had...I might increase it to 8 oz next time)
1 cup salsa (I used a lime and garlic variety)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8 flour tortillas (I used burrito size)
Brown the ground beef with the onion and spices.  Drain off any fat, turn off the heat and put the cream cheese in the pan to soften.  After about 5 minutes, you should be able to stir it all in.  Add the salsa and cheese, too.  Divide the filling equally amongst the 8 tortillas, roll up and place on an oiled baking sheet.  Brush the tops of the taquitos with more oil or spray them with cooking spray.  Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes (start watching them at 15 minutes if your oven cooks hot).   My kids enjoyed these dipped in Ranch dressing.  I thought they were great by themselves.


All right folks, it's time to show off your stuff.  What did you make this week?  Please be sure to link back to this blog in your post.


19 comments:

Chaya said...

I came over to link up while I had time but your linky is not open but it says that it should be. Just in case you did not know.......

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

These look really delicious!! I am really glad that I found your blog!

Belinda @zomppa said...

That crunch is the perfect touch to this delicious-looking meal!

Lisa~~ said...

Your Taquitos look wonderful, I bet that my daughter (and the rest of us) would love them.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Ann said...

Wow - Kristen - these look amazing! I'm a taquito fan, but it never occurred to me to make them...I always purchased them! Glad you found some good Latin foods...

Marelie said...

Wow!I love your taquito!I will have to try this one.I brought my cookie.Thanks for hosting..

Drick said...

such a great recipe, ya know I we have Mex at lease once a week, this is going on plates next time... so glad you tweak it with beef, like it better I think... glad things are settling in over there, friends being made and school starting is hopefully going fine.... your days should be getting back to routine, wait, don't, start a new one...

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
Your Taquitos look so good, we would just love them. I am sharing my Summer Squash Quiche today. Thank you for hosting and have a wonderful week!
Miz Helen

Michelle O said...

I've yet to try and make my own taquitos or enchiladas. You've inspired me though. I wish I had this for lunch today. Yum

Claire said...

Mmm those look great

Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures said...

I found you from the <a href='http://www.facebook.com/pages/Healthy-Blog-Carnival-Alert/148426998572837">Healthy Blog Carnival Alert</a>.

I shared my <a href="http://www.naturalfamilyawareness.com/health/index.php/2011/08/12/leas-pretty-perfect-pizza-recipe/">pizza recipe</a>, <a href="http://www.naturalfamilyawareness.com/health/index.php/2011/07/25/leas-easy-pancake-recipe/">pancake recipe</a>, and my yogurt popsicles.

Lizzy said...

Oh, boy, I think my boys would love these! Love a new recipe to try :)

mywanderingspoon said...

Love them....everybody would munch them in no time, good food:)
http://mywanderingspoon.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/seafood-lunch-the-beach-smores-real-taste-of-summer/

Happy When Not Hungry said...

These taquitos look amazing! What a great recipe :-)

Erin said...

Great recipe! We move mexican food, and recipes like this are great to have around!

Rosemary said...

I never would have thought of making these at home! And if a little kid told his mom to get the recipe, well, you're a hit!

Peggy said...

Oh these look so good - perfect for an appetizer or entree! =)

Sandra said...

These look seeriously crunchy!

ButterYum said...

Mmmm... we love taquitos, but I've never made them at home. Looks simple enough, so no more excuses for me.

:)
ButterYum

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.