Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Southern Style Yellow Squash

I recently got to cross off another item on my bucket list.  I met another food blogger in person.  Ann from Cooking Healthy for Me just happens to live within ten miles of my new Florida home.  She welcomed me with open arms.  We met for a lunch date and with wonderful Southern hospitality, she graciously made sure that I would be soon cooking "Southern" by giving me a cookbook, My Southern Food by Devon O'Day.  What fun I have had reading it!  The very next day, I was ready to make something from it.
For our Sunday dinner, I made a cheater beef bbq in my oven and served it with baked beans and Southern Style Yellow Squash.  I think it's the cooking in bacon drippings that makes this dish southern.  Boy oh boy was this ever the way to make squash!  We thought it was so much more tasty than normal. Of course, cooking in bacon drippings isn't the healthiest, so this won't be my everyday way of making squash, but for special ~ this is it!.  Thanks again, Ann!!

Southern Style Yellow Squash (from My Southern Food)
6 yellow squash, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 Tbsp bacon drippings
1 scant Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
black pepper to taste
Heat the bacon grease over medium heat.  Layer the squash and onion.  Sprinkle with salt and sugar and stir a bit.  Let cook until the vegetables caramelize, stirring every 5-7 minutes to prevent burning.  Sprinkle with black pepper.

14 comments:

Ann said...

Oh - that was the nicest thing! I'm SO glad you liked the book and it was wonderful meeting you! I can't wait to go to the spice store & grocery shopping with you soon! You have absolutely, positively made my day!

The Harried Cook said...

Bacon drippings! Oh my... I bet this tastes divine! As you said, this can't be an everyday way of making squash... Must make this for a special dinner... Thanks for sharing! So glad you met a fellow blogger! Sounds great! :)

The Better Baker said...

I love yellow squash this way and could eat it every day during the summer. I just got our first squash from the local farmer's market this week and have yet to try it...but am so glad for this nice reminder.

Joanne said...

I love meeting bloggers in person! They are some of the most sweetest, kindest, and generous people out there.

This squash sounds super delicious!

SARAPLICIOUS! said...

Yellow squash and bacon drippings...yum! Where in FL are you? I'm also in FL and up to meeting fellow foodies and bloggers.

Drick said...

now I know you have arrived when I see 'southern style' in your post title... and with bacon grease, girl, you are one quick learner...

Emily Malloy said...

Yummm!

Martha said...

Bacon drippings sound like the perfect way to cook squash! Maybe this Northerner will have to try it sometime too.

Monet said...

We have so much summer squash right now. This is perfect timing! And I so wish I could meet you and join you for an evening meal! Thank you for sharing, my friend. I'm hungry and wishing I could have THIS for dinner. Blessings and love from Austin!

Lisa~~ said...

I make this all the time but I now need to swap out my butter for bacon drippings...YUM!

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks great! Yum! Must try this. Thanks for sharing.

Christine's Pantry said...

I can't wait until the day comes when I get to meet a food blogger. Great post and recipe.

elisabeth@foodandthriftfinds said...

Such a coincidence. Just posted my zucchini, and squash recipe with ziti pasta.
I can hardly wait to try your yummy squash recipez:D

Devon O'Day said...

Thanks for the kind words about my family recipe - might I suggest turkey bacon for a healthier alternative? Much love - and happy skillets! devon o'day/my southern food

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.