Tuesday, July 19, 2011

S'mores Cupcakes and a Cookbook Review (Sweet Chic)

Just as I was getting ready to leave Arizona, I was contacted about receiving and reviewing a copy of Sweet Chic by Rachel Schifter Thebault.  Considering that I had already packed SIX boxes of cookbooks, how could I say no to one more?? I am really glad that I said yes, too.  The author, owner of Tribeca Treats in New York City, employed a very creative way to organize her book.    Each chapter ties a piece of clothing to food.  For example, the scooped cookies are the white t-shirts, the chocolate cake is the little black dress and the vanilla icings are the ballet flats.  
 I chose to make the S'mores Cupcakes.  They were mini sized devil's food cupcakes topped with a marshmallow butter cream frosting and sprinkled with graham cracker crumbs.  The cake was moist, the frosting was amazing.  My family was more than happy to be the taste testers.  
I had a hard time frosting them because all of my pastry bags were still packed.  I used an inferior no name brand of zip close sandwich bags which kept splitting out the side as I squeezed it.  I went through two or three bags, layering them on top of each other as I attempted to make cute swirls on top of the cakes.  In the end, I gave up and just used a knife to spread the rest.  I didn't take pictures of those, but they were eaten just as quickly.

S'mores Cupcakes (from Sweet Chic)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Grease 3 12 count mini muffin pans.  Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.  Add the buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.  Scoop into the 36 mini muffin cups and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for12-15 minutes or until done.  Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Marshmallow Icing: 
2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup Marshmallow Fluff
Beat butter and sugar until incorporated.  Add the Marshmallow Fluff and mix on medium high until smooth.  Pipe it onto cooled cupcakes (watch melts in the heat, so refrigerate afterwards!)
Crush two or three big graham crackers and sprinkle over the iced cupcakes.

(other than the cookbook, I received no remuneration for this review)


Ann said...

These look delicious and I'm so glad you were able to view such a cool cookbook! I love the way they did the organization!

Vimitha Anand said...

These cupcakes look so cute and delicious.. Love the cookbook review too...

Sue said...

What a unique idea for a cookbook! The cupcakes look wonderful! Hope all is well in your new home, Kristen!

Rosemary said...

I love the concept of the book! And I love how you desribe your efforts at topping your cupcakes! It worked!

Three-Cookies said...

Very creative to sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs, looks great, and adds flavour and texture. Such simple things can make such a big difference

Emily Malloy said...

Oh this looks divine!

Prathima Rao said...

Cupcakes look so heavenly and divine!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Drick said...

T-riffic cupcakes and sounds like a nifty cookbook too ... I think those sandwich bags are the same ones I use when icing - hey, I am sure there are some sort of joints that peddle Cajun style food over there, but why not make your own, with a good recipe (if you find one, let me know)

Susan Lindquist said...

You're back at it! Congrats on making it East with the carload of kids and in such hot weather! I look forward to hearing about unpacking and finding all the needed kitchen gear ... pastry bags , included! You did a great job on these sweet treats! Necessity is the mother of invention ... nom, nom!

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

Oh I collect Cook Books can never have enough!

These cupcakes look great!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

These look SO delicious - and I have a cookbook addiction!

Roxana GreenGirl said...

Look at these delicious cupcakes! Oh my goodness, they are just so cute!
The book sounds like a keeper!

Monet said...

Beautiful! I made similar cupcakes a few weeks ago and they were so good! These are making my stomach growl. Thank you for sharing another delicious treat with me, my sweet friend. I hope you are having a happy afternoon. Much love!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I always enjoy reading cookbook reviews and these cupcakes look mouthwatering.

Mother Rimmy said...

Who doesn't love S'mores! Even better in a cupcake you can have year around.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.