Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cheddar Black Pepper Pie Crust Salmon Pie: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

I wanted to make a pantry meal the other night.  Salmon pie sounded really good.  I found a few that had puffed pastry crusts, but that wasn't an option.  Finally, I decided to punt and combine a crust from somewhere else and my own filling.  I found a great Cheddar Black Pepper pie dough on Coconut and Lime.  Originally, the author paired the crust with a fruit filling, which sounds fabulous, but it lent itself so well to a savory pie, that I couldn't resist.  I think I would actually add a bit more black pepper next time.
I am going to give you some options for this pie because I used an ingredient that not too many people may have lying around in their pantry: dehydrated potato slices.  I also used canned salmon, but fresh in both instances would be easy and delicious.  I used more potatoes than salmon because it was cheaper as a filler, but depending on your budget and the amount of people you are feeding, you can change the ratios.

Salmon Pie
2 7 ounce cans salmon (I used Costco's Kirkland brand, it is the most "real" looking salmon I have found)
3 cups rehydrated potato slices OR 2 large potatoes, boiled and chopped OR 2 cans sliced potatoes, drained
1 can cream of celery soup
1 tsp dill weed
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
Mix the ingredients in a bowl and pour into an unbaked pie crust.  Top with another crust, seal and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Cheddar Black Pepper Pie Dough (adapted from Coconut and Lime)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup lard (or butter or shortening)
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
5-8 Tbsp cold water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients, except water, in a a bowl with pastry blender or in a food processor.  Slowly add water to form ball.  Divide in two and roll out to form two crusts.  Place one in pie plate, reserving second for top crust.

Okay, your turn.  I cannot wait to see what great foods you have been baking and cooking in your kitchens this week!



24 comments:

Three-Cookies said...

Really interesting to use cheddar and pepper in the crust, never heard of it before, now I am curious

The Harried Cook said...

I like this... It sounds really interesting - especially the crust! Thanks for sharing, Kristen! :)

Drick said...

love that crust, made one similar for a beef pie a while back, never did post about it.... this salmon one sounds great...
are ya'll settling in, finding folks neighborly?

Lisa~~ said...

Sounds like an interesting pie.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Vimitha Anand said...

Loved that crumbly and yummy crust... wholesome nd tasty pie

Miz Helen said...

What a great looking Salmon Pie, it looks delicious. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week!
Miz Helen

Ann said...

I love the pie crust! I bet this would be good with chicken, too! So creative! The little fishy cut out on the crust is too cute!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I especially love that pie crust! Thanks!

Beth said...

I'm trying to get more fish into our diets, and this sounds like a great way to do it.

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

Your salmon pie sounds wonderful. I had a similar recipe I have been meaning to try but yours sounds sounds even better. Love the crust idea.

Sue said...

We love salmon and my husband puts pepper on everything, so I know we would love this recipe. Such a unique pie crust.

Emily Malloy said...

Yum!

Christine's Pantry said...

Looks wonderful! Yum!

Magic of Spice said...

The pie dough alone sounds amazing :) Wonderful savory pie!

Erin said...

The pie dough sounds delicious! You could use this in so many ways! Great dinner!

Lizzy said...

Yummy crust! It would be fabulous with so many savory pies~

Steph said...

A savory pie!! Sounds delish!

Deborah Dowd said...

This sounds really delicious and thanks for the tip on Kirkland canned salmon. I love your crust it really ups the appeal of this pie.

Sandra said...

Salmon pie..what a great idea! I never made that before, sounds incredible!!!

Marelie said...

Thanks a lot for hosting and sharing.Salmon Pie! I think this is unique and delicious.

Miriam said...

Now that's a beautiful meal!! I love pie meals :), Miriam@The Pioneer Cookbook

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

I LOVE this recipe - the salmon pie sounds delicious - I can't wait to make this - and the pastry wonderful!
mary

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

I love savory pies and am a huge fan of pepper and cheddar together. I don't think I've ever used salmon before so this is the perfect opportunity to give this a go! :)

Susan Lindquist said...

This pie looks sooo good! I'm saving this recipe Kristen! A fish pie! Yum! The crust is just such a cool idea too! My goodness!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.