Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wheat Berry Spinach Salad: Your Recipe, My Kitchen


This week, I am taking a recipe from Joseph's Grainery and changing it up a bit to fit into the "diet" I am on (in hope of not embarrassing myself on the Florida beaches) and what I had in the refrigerator.  Have you been to Joseph's Granery?  You will find so many wonderful recipes using whole grains and the photographs are gorgeous!

For my version, I used goat cheese because my feta was spoken for.  I eliminated the Craisins and added some walnuts, grilled summer squash and a strawberry vinaigrette that is out of this world.  I have been on a pseudo-Sonoma style diet for the last three weeks.  I have lost a healthy 2 pounds per week and have loved eating so many fresh vegetables.  Usually, my salads include grilled meat from the night before, but using wheat berries was a nice change.

Wheat Berry Spinach Salad (adapted from Joseph's Grainery)
For 1 serving (adjust for more)
1/4 cup cooked wheat berries
1 1/2 cups torn spinach leaves
1/2 grilled zucchini (cut lengthwise in quarters and then sliced)
1/2 grilled yellow squash (cut lengthwise in quarters and then sliced)
8 walnut halves, crumbled slightly
1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp strawberry vinaigrette (recipe below)
Layer ingredients in a bowl, ending with cheese and vinaigrette.

Strawberry Vinaigrette (from the Sonoma Diet book)
1 cup strawberries
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
sugar substitute of your choice to equal 1/2 tsp sugar
Combine ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.  Chill and store up to 1 week in the fridge.

Okay.  Your turn.  What's cooking in your kitchen?

31 comments:

Susan Lindquist said...

There are those wheatberries again! You mentioned them once in a commment on one of my posts and I have meant to explore them! Thanks for the reminder! This salad looks so healthy and crunchy!

Fallon said...

I love wheatberry salads! The strawberry vin sounds fabulous!

I like goat cheese too ;)

Ali said...

Your salad looks so delicious. Great combination of flavors. Thanks again for hosting for us :)

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

So fun to see your take on then recipe! The strawberry vinaigrette sounds wonderful!

Vimitha Anand said...

Lovely and refreshing salad... Would love to have it anytime...

Three-Cookies said...

I have never tried wheat berries, sounds like an interesting grain.

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

The salad looks and sounds delicious! I don't think I've had wheat berries before, but now I'd like to try them. Thanks so much for hosting :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love that salad, especially the dressing! Thanks!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
Your Salad looks very fresh and delicious. I just love a good fresh Salad this time of the year. Thanks for hosting today and hope you have a wonderful day!
Miz Helen

Erin said...

Your salad looks delicious! I might be able to stick to a diet if I got to eat like this! I don't think I have ever heard of wheat berries.

Ann said...

Looks delicious! I promise you (I'm a Floridian) you won't embarrass yourself on the beach....I'm positive I've seen worse! It's not like California where everyone is there to be seen (unless you're going to Miami). Everyone is just there to have fun in the sun!

Greenderella said...

I found you over Monday Maniacs. You have a lovely site! And thank you for hosting! :-)

Denise said...

Salad looks great!!! Thanks for hosting.

Tina @flourtrader said...

There are some days when I crave a healthy salad and this one foots the bill-so I have bookmarked it. I will need to get wheatberries first, but it should not be an issue. Thanks for posting!

Drick said...

good for you and nice way to lose pounds, 2 pounds a week is certainly good - and eating good too, like vinaigrette too, it sounds just great

Sue said...

I love this kind of salad~hearty, filling and healthy!

Jill@MadAboutMacarons said...

I adore how your feta was already spoken for. :-)
Gorgeous combinations - goat cheese with strawberry dressing and all the other yummy ingredients. So healthy, too. Fantastic!

Prathima Rao said...

Wheat berries?? WOW!!! The salad looks so filling, healthy & colorful!! Good one Kristen!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Emily Malloy said...

This must taste soo delicious!

Hester Casey - Alchemy said...

Wheat Berries? Must try these. Love the strawberry vinaigrette, Kristen. I'm going to have to revert to feta because my goats cheese has been spoken for. 2 pounds per week sounds like a good healthy rate of weight loss and this certainly doesn't sound like "diet" food, just delicious and healthy!

danasfoodforthought said...

This sounds so over the top delicious... and all the healthy ingredients don't hurt either! great choice!

Heavenly Housewife said...

What a beautiful and delicious salad. I am in love with the combinations of flavours you've used.
*kisses* HH

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That sounds like a perfect summer salad!

mywanderingspoon said...

Love the salad and dressing too...yum with strawberries....summer perfect:)

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Lots of goodies in salad and I love it. Strawberry dressing! I need to bookmark this one to give it a try! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Lizzy said...

Congrats on your weight loss! What a gorgeous, delicious and healthy salad!!! YUM!

Joanne said...

I am always in the market for new salads, especially those with wheatberries! I am so trying this. Congrats on your weight loss! I'm trying to get back into it...this week is the week!

Monet said...

How perfect. I was just talking to a friend about how much I loved wheat berries. Now I have another fun salad to try. Thank you for sharing another recipe. I'm always looking for more whole grains! I hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday, my friend!

Baking Serendipity said...

This looks fantastic! I love salads in the summer, but have never tried wheat berries before. Clearly, this is a great way to introduce them at my house! :)

Sandra said...

So pretty with the added bonus of being healthy.

kita said...

We are addicted to spinach salads in this house! Love them! And the strawberry vinaigrette, Mmmm!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.