Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sugar Cookie Bars: Your Recipe, My Kitchen



This is one of those recipes that has made its way all across the blog world and back again.  I first saw it on Munchkin Munchies, one of my favorite places to visit.  Sue, the author, is one of the most talented and creative bakers I know.  She found the recipe on Real Mom Kitchen who in turn got it from Tastebuds.              
Cut out sugar cookies are one of my family's all time favorite cookies.  They are one of my least favorites to make, though, because of the time and work they involve.  This recipe manages to make a large batch with little effort.  Bar cookies are, after all, a baker's dream when it comes to fast and easy.
I had a little trouble getting the baking time right.  The bars didn't look done at the prescribed time limit, so I left them in an extra few minutes...mistake.  They were too dry.  Next time, I am going to take them out and let them sit in the pan to cool, assuming that the heat from the pan will continue to cook them.  There will definitely be a next time.  The taste, with 3/4 pound of butter in the cookie and frosting, was spot on for a sugar cookie.  
 Sugar Cookie Bars (lately taken from Munchkin Munchies)
2 sticks butter, soften
2 cups sugar 
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Cream sugar and butter.  Add vanilla and eggs and mix until smooth.  Combine dry ingredients and then add.  Spread into a rimmed jelly roll pan (18X13).  Bake 375 for 10-15 minutes.  Remove to counter and let cool.  Frost, cut and serve.
Frosting:
1 stick butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4-5 Tbsp milk
With a mixer, combine butter and powdered sugar.  Add vanilla and milk.  Color if desired.  Spread over cooled cookie bars.

Now what about you?  What have you been up to in Your Kitchen?


25 comments:

Angie A said...

Your bars are so PRETTY! I hope you are able to get the baking time nailed down next time!

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Yum, your bars look great and what a good idea! Wish I had a recipe to join your party! (too lazy ;)
Best,
Gloria

Ali said...

I've always wanted to try that recipe but I didn't have a big enough pan for it, and I was too lazy to buy a pan or rework the recipe. hah. :) They look great though.

Thank you for hosting!

SnoWhite said...

I love the taste of sugar cookies, but I too, struggle with finding the effort needed to roll out those cookies! This recipe looks delicious.

The Harried Cook said...

I love sugar cookies too! This recipe sounds like breeze to make too :) No chilling, rolling, cutting... excellent when you want a quick sugar cookie fix :) they look colorful & pretty too! Thanks for sharing, Kristen!

Prathima Rao said...

Oh my...these look so cute & adorable...Fantastic presentation Kristen:)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
Your cookies bars look so good. Thanks for hosting today and have a great week!

Marelie said...

Thanks a lot for hosting and sharing.Its always nice to be here.I brought my Filipino Bar

Rita said...

How original! I've never seen this kind before.
Rita

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

I love sugar cookies but I LOVE the idea of sugar cookie bars! These look soooo good. I can't wait to try these out.

Emily Malloy said...

Why-oh why- am I on a DIET?!?!

This looks like the only thing I want to consume at this moment.

This and nothing else.

Maybe bon-bons.

Joanne said...

I love the idea of sugar cookie bars! And that neon green frosting is fabulous.

Rae said...

these sounds fantastic, they'll probably be ou cookie friday treat this week! Thank you!

Tiffanee said...

I have made these before. They are addicting!!

Jenn said...

I love sugar cookie bars! So yummy!

shopannies said...

love sugar cookies and love how these are decorated

Sue said...

Kristen, Your sugar cookie bars turned out fabulous! I love the green frosting too. Thanks for the link-love and the kind words! :) You and your blog are awesome:)

Carolyn said...

Great tip about them not looking fully baked but being too dry if cooked longer. It can be tough with tender baked goods like this! The green icing is something my kids would go wild over! ;)

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

wow this looks so yummy and super addictive! thank you for sharing this.

Kate@Diethood said...

Those sound soooo good! I love the color! :))

danasfoodforthought said...

I love this idea! I never make cut out cookies because I'm too lazy, but this is the perfect solution!

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

How cute and delicious. :-)

briarrose said...

YUm! I'm going to have to try this. I usually avoid sugar cookies since they can be a high effort treat.....this is right up my alley though. ;)

Sandra said...

Irresistable!

kita said...

Im guilty of loving a sugar cookie a little too much and these look awesome. I can't wait to try this :D

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.