Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Torte and Kelapo Coconut Oil Review

The good folks at Kelapo Coconut Oil offered an opportunity to review some of their wonderful product.  I  love Virgin Coconut Oil.  It smells so good and has such a nice flavor.  I have used the processed stuff made by other companies and frankly, if I am going to use coconut oil, I want the flavor and aroma to go with it.  They also included two capsules of their oil.  I broke them open and used them as a lip balm for a week.  What a great way to soften chapped lips!! You can find all sorts of recipes on their blog.
I, however, went with a recipe of my own.  I decided to make a refreshing cold dessert with the oil.  Coconut just screams for chocolate, so the idea for a mounds candy bar like dish was the direction I took.  This dessert has a fudgy brownie layer on the bottom and a cream cheese/whipped cream combo for the top.  Add a little chocolate syrup and toasted coconut and Voila!  An amazing dessert was born.
 Of course, it didn't cut as pretty as I'd have liked.
Chocolate Coconut Torte
brownie layer:
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup flour
cream cheese layer:
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 8 ounce tub whipped topping
1/2 tsp coconut extract
chocolate syrup (for garnish)
toasted coconut (for garnish)
In a bowl, stir the cocoa and coconut oil together.  Add the sugar and stir, add the eggs and vanilla.  Pour into a greased 9 inch springform pan.  Bake for 18-20 minutes in a preheated 325 degree oven.  Remove from oven and let cool on the counter for at least 30 minutes.  Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar with a mixer.  add the extract and whipped topping and mix well.  Spread over brownie layer and refrigerate for an hour or more.  When serving, remove the outer rim of the springform.  Drizzle with syrup and sprinkle with coconut.  (For a prettier presentation, cut first, then drizzle each piece individually).

Tasty Tuesday

35 comments:

Rita said...

What a beautiful presentation and a great recipe. My husband loves coconut in any form; this is a must try for me.
Rita

Ali said...

I love the way you decorated this Kristen, it's adorable. Coconut is so delicious, I'm gonna add this to my recipe box. Thanks! :)

Beth said...

What a beautiful torte! I'll have to make this for my husband who loves Mounds bars!

The Harried Cook said...

That's an absolutely gorgeous tart, Kristen! If you asked me, I think that slice looks pretty awesome, too! Thanks for sharing that fabulous recipe :)

Emily Malloy said...

My mouth is literally watering.

Three-Cookies said...

Sounds great, I love coconut. Virgin coconut oil has a fantastic aroma.

Kim - Liv Life said...

coconut and chocolate!! MMM!! What a wonderful combo, I'm eager to try coconut oil, I've been reading more about it lately and these posts have me intrigued!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That pie looks amazing. What a perfect summer dessert.

Vimitha Anand said...

Looks creamy and gorgeous... Slurp slurp...

briarrose said...

Wow this looks good....if only had a slice of this right now. I can totally get behind this wonderful mix of chocolate and coconut. ;)

Beautiful pattern across the top.

Susan said...

This is just so beautiful to look at, Kristen! I know the cool creaminess is really tasty, too! I have bookmarked this dessert for my son's birthday. he loves all things chocolate and brownie with a cool 'pudding-like' approach! He's gonna mow through the whole pie! haha! I can see it now!

Drick said...

just a beautiful combination of flavors, everything seems to compliment the other so nicely... and I think is looks perfect...

Julie said...

Wow! Anyone would be amazed and impressed to be served that for dessert...very nice indeed :)

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Whoa...beautiful Torte! If this cake was served in front of me, I would be just totally impressed! I don't know anyone around me who can make a beautiful dessert like this...I love coconut and chocolate. Both my favorite!

Prathima Rao said...

Thats a perfect, yummilicious torte!!!! Lovely presentation Kristen :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Lizzy said...

It looks darn pretty to me!!! Coconut and chocolate are a perfect match...and I'd love a slice, or two, of your decadent pie...mmmmmm....

Chaya said...

This is a beauty. The only problem with showing these luscious desserts is that I want to make them all.

danasfoodforthought said...

A mounds inspired torte is a genius idea! This sounds great... I'll have to try out that coconut oil!

spcookiequeen said...

You and my husband would get along well, he loves those candy bars. I love the torte uncut it's so pretty. I've never tried coconut oil, I should give it a try. Hope you are having a great week.
-Gina-

Monet said...

I adore coconut (and I wish Ryan liked it more!) This looks like such a lovely torte. I wouldn't have a problem eating it myself :-) I hope you are having a wonderful day. Thank you for sharing your heart and this fantastic recipe. I'm hungry now!

Dan said...

My favourite use for coconut oil is for making popcorn. I used to work at a movie theatre in the early 90s and I remember the switch from coconut to canola oil. It went from a sweet, delicious smell to "who's making fish and chips?!"

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, my! YUM!

jill@madaboutmacarons said...

My first reaction on seeing your gorgeous photos and recipe for this torte? Sheer Tort-ure, first thing in the morning, as I need this now. Coconut oil with the oozing chocolate. Pass me a fork!

Joanne said...

This sounds like some good quality coconut oil! And the dessert is amazing. can't go wrong with coconut and chocolate!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Gosh, that looks amazing! With a combination like chocolate and coconut, you can't possibly go wrong! YUM!!
*kisses* HH

LDH said...

Oh, Kristen... what a fabulous looking dessert! YUM!

Sue said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Just beautiful!

Kim Bee said...

This looks so delicious. I must make this. Hope you don`t mind me bookmarking this. Great post.

Sandra said...

I love Kelapo coconut oil and your cake looks gorgeous! I adore this kind of desserts..wonderful!!!

Foodiva said...

Looking at your photos, I'm imagining how wonderfully the flavors of coconut and chocolate will meld on my tongue. I've got to get myself some Kelapo coconut oil!

Erin said...

Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try coconut oil, everyone has such great ideas for it! And I don't know, chocolate running down the side is pretty to me!

TheChocolatePriestess said...

I'm not a fan of coconut but the rest looks great!

Elyse @The Cultural Dish said...

I love coconut so much and this looks amazing! Mmm... the chocolate and the cheesecake are calling my name!

Sandra said...

This is so pretty Kristen. Chocolate and coconut are a great flavor combination. I have a friends who loves it I'll have to make this for her.

Hester Casey - Alchemy said...

Wow Kirsten, this is a stunner. Bookmarking this one! Hope the move went well. It sounds like you have hit the ground running!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.