Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Aussie Bites: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

Because I am not on my laptop, I don't have the regular title photo to add to the weekly Your Recipe, My Kitchen.  That has not stopped me, though, from making a wonderful new-to-me recipe: Aussie Bites, from The Bad Girl's Kitchen.  These little mini muffins are a homemade version of a treat that Costco used to sell years ago. (if they still sell them, they don't sell them in Arizona!).  They are filled with coconut, dried fruit and sunflower seeds.
I substituted spelt and dark rye flours for the all-purpose flour.  Other than making the muffins browner and more fiber-y, I don't think there was any flavor change.  Rye flour tastes much like wheat flour.  Rye bread, however, with all of those strong tasting caraway seeds, is a different kettle of fish.  Please don't discount all rye products if you hate rye bread.
I also used agave instead of sugar, cutting the amount down a bit, too.  For the dried fruit, I used cherries.  I used the last of my Kelapo coconut oil in place of the butter.  These muffins are so moist.  It was hard to eat just one or four or ten.

If you want to make these into regular muffins, just bake them longer...maybe 18-20 minutes.  Watch them to make sure they are done or not too done!!

Aussie Bites (adapted from the Bad Girls Kitchen ) (makes at least 48 mini muffins)
2 cups instant oats
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup dark rye flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 + 1/3 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1 cup chopped dried cherries
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp warm water
Combine the agave, oil, applesauce and eggs in a large bowl.  Mix in the oats, flours and salt.  Combine the baking soda and warm water and add.  Fold in the coconut, sunflower kernels and cherries.  Spoon into greased mini muffin pans.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Let cool for 2-3 minutes in the pan and then dump out onto a wire rack or counter to cool.  

Your turn!  What great stuff have you cooked or baked this week?


33 comments:

Fallon said...

Yummy! I love baked goods that are nutty and grainy. I usually can't stop myself from just 1 or 2 at a time. ;)

The Better Baker said...

I 'DITTO" Fallon's comment...just what I was thinking after I read the post. =)

jastembo said...

DITTO the above comments. those muffins look tasty. i would love to try them but i don't have a mini muffin pan - how do mini's translate into regular muffins &/or a bread pan?

Angie {Successful2gether} said...

Yum! I be these would freeze great too! Thank you for sharing!

Three-Cookies said...

I am guessing these are called Aussie bites because of oats and coconut - like ANZAC cookies. Sounds like an interesting muffin

Emily Malloy said...

Oh, yum! This looks so good!

Foodiva said...

I've never baked with rye flour but I definitely like spelt. The nutty taste would translate well in muffin form, I'm guessing. Btw, is this a blogging event that you're hosting? It looks interesting, I'll see if I can link something up here.

Carol@easytobeglutenfree said...

Thanks for hosting. I'm linking up with Pasta with Basil Tomatoes and Mozzarella.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those aussie bites sound good. I've never baked with rye flour, but I'd like to give it a shot :)

Jeanette said...

What a nice healthy muffin recipe - I've never used rye flour, so I'm glad to hear it is just like whole wheat. What a fun link-up too. I linked up my Korean Spinach Salad recipe but meant to put the name of the dish not my name - can you please rename this? Thanks!

Lizzy said...

I love muffins chock full of fruits/nuts/grains, too...these look wonderful!

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

I really should be eating this kind of healthy muffins! As I don't bake..usually when I go to stores...my hands tend to reach those sweeter and fruity muffins or chocolate... These look really delicious and would go well with my cup of coffee now... yum.

Holly said...

These muffins are calling my name. They sound so satisfying and healthy! : )

Drick said...

so much fiber, good thing to have as we get older - me, I mean as I get older...

Susan said...

It seems that my friends have been giving me the BEST muffin options of late! First those snickerdoodle muffins and now these MUCH healthier high fiber treats! I'll have to exchange the spelt flour, but I have all the other ingredients! Yippee!

Lisa~~ said...

My Costco still sells them and my husband loves them but now I can can make them at home, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Julie said...

These look delicious. Muffins are such a great treat!

Lori said...

I am always looking for good muffin recipes, that are healthy and delicious.

briarrose said...

What a tasty, filling muffin. This would so hit the spot for a snack.

Mikaela Cowles said...

Oh man, these sound amazing and healthy! I can imagine you not feeling terribly guilty about one or two, or perhaps the whole batch ;-)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

How interesting! I have never baked with rye flour, or really any type of grain, but these certainly look both delicious and doable. Thanks!

Shumaila said...

These look great and healthy too! Thanks for sharing!

Sue said...

Your muffins sound like guilt-free tastiness! :)

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I have never baked with rye flour either...this sounds interesting and looks delicious!

Joanne said...

I just got rye AND spelt flour from my CSA! Perfect timing! Can't wait to make these...they sound like they're chock full of some awesome mix-ins!

Jill@MadAboutMacarons said...

I adore rye and here with the oats and spelt and all your yummy ingredients, these look a real treat. Fabulous! Off to make 200 macarons for a school bake sale this weekend for the end of term. Why does everyone expect me to make just macarons? I'd love to turn up with your Aussie bites!

danasfoodforthought said...

I am a sucker for anything "mini" , and all the flavors in this sound great! Love this week's choice!

Tessa said...

These muffins look awesome! Excited to find another AZ blogger!

Joy said...

The muffins look wonderful. The recipe is great.

Erin said...

These muffins look wonderful! They sound hearty and delicious!

Christine's Pantry said...

Yummy! Looks wonderful!

Kate@Diethood said...

Those muffins are gorgeous... and they sound really tasty!

kita said...

Im a sucker for muffins!

Good to know not to exclude all rye products if you don't like rye. Sometimes I love it - sometimes I don't but I am always up to try new things!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.