Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Shrimp Fajitas

These fajitas almost didn't make it into this post.  I had been meaning to make them ever since I drooled over Jennifurla's post  on her blog Indigo's Sugar Spectrum back in April.  Then, when I finally did, it was a comedy of errors on my part.  First of all, I neglected to read the package of shrimp in full detail.  Yes, they were deveined.  No, they weren't shelled.  That little bit of information would have saved me quite a bit of frustration a few hours later if I had paid attention.  So not only did I learn that I should read shrimp packages very, very carefully, I learned that marinating shrimp in the shell is a little like salting an unpeeled egg.  Yeah.  Doesn't really work.
After mixing up the marinade and placing the impervious shrimp in the fridge for a few hours, I brought them out to cook them.  I place about twelve in a pan with oil, tossed them around, smiled as they turned pink and then looked at them.  I mean really looked at them.  Egads!  Shells!  How awful to bit into a fajita only to have to spit out the yucky parts.  Paaa-tooey!  It was nearing dinner time and what was I doing?  I was shelling the uncooked shrimp with marinade all over my hands.  
Luckily, it all ended up okay.  There was enough marinade in which to cook the shrimp.  I added caramelized onions to the cooked shrimp and served them in warmed tortillas.  I served the cilantro lime sauce on the side, but ended up opening up the fajita and pouring the sauce inside.   They were delicious.  I can only imagine how well they would taste if I had done everything right.   I am still working on that.

Shrimp Fajitas (adapted from Indigo Sugar Spectrum)
2 pound shrimp (carefully shelled as well as deveined)
1/4 cup chile flavored olive oil
3 Tbsp dried cilantro
4 cloves minced garlic
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
Mix marinade and place shrimp in it.  Refrigerate 2 hours.  Cook in olive oil in a single layer over medium heat until the shrimp turns a lovely pink color.  Remove to a bowl and continue cooking the rest until all is done.  Pour the remaining marinade in with the last bit of shrimp to be cooked so you can use it in the tortillas.  Serve with sauted peppers and or caramelized onions and the following sauce.

Cilantro Lime Sauce (also adapted from Indigo's Sugar Spectrum)
2 cups sour cream
3 drops Tobasco sauce
juice of 1 lime
3 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp dried cilantro
Whirl all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Homemaker Monday
Mouth Watering Monday

Now it's your turn.  Please be sure to link back to this blog as well as to link directly to a post on your side of things.  



26 comments:

Angie A said...

mmm Yum! Love shrimp!
That is too bad about the shells :( at least you will know for next time. Thank you for sharing :D

Jacqui' said...

Thanks for hosting =]]] Great recipe..Im a newbie around here. Love the blog

Lizzy said...

Ooh, your shrimp fajitas look marvelous!!!

Elisabeth said...

Wonderful shrimp fajitas...love the sauce that goes with it, as well. Yumm!

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Kristen! I had Shrimp Fajita for lunch today (restaurant) but yours look even more delicious.. nothing beats homemade dish! Fabulous!

The Harried Cook said...

I'm terrible at reading packages... just recently I bought what I thought was a can of tuna, only to find it was Tuna Tom Yum soup in a can! I just saw the can & the word 'tuna' and grabbed it!

Your shrimp fajitas sound great... They look yummy and I am glad it all turned out well in the end! :)

Denise said...

These sound great, not much of a cilantro fan, but sometimes I substitue flat leaf parsley for it.

Marelie said...

Thanks a lot for hosting.The shrimp fajitas look so good!

Joanne said...

these sound exactly like the type of shenanigans that occur in my kitchen on a regular basis! Looks like it all turned out deliciously though!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
Great recipe, it looks yummy! Thank you for hosting and have a great week.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Oh yum! Kristen, those shrimp fajitas are making my mouth water over here! They look fantastic especially with that tasty sounding sauce!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Love Jennifurla, I bet this is incredible!

Bev said...

That looks yummy. I would have to leave off the sauce because cilantro taste like soap to me lol! Thanks for stopping by.

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} said...

Goodness - you really had to work for these guys! I bet it was worth it though- they look so flavorful :)

Pacheco Patty said...

I love Jennifurla too;-)
This looks like a wonderful recipe, glad it all worked out in the end and you were able to enjoy the shrimp. Honestly, I need to wear glasses when I cook so your problem sounds familiar!

Tiffany said...

Fajitas are such a great weekday meal! Thanks for sharing!

aipi said...

Looks so tempting ~ yummy to the core :)
US Masala

ryann2 said...

This is definitely going on the to do list! The sauce sounds REALLY good!

Tiffanee said...

Those do look amazing!! I really want one right now! Bookmarking it to make soon. I have done the unpeeled shrimp thing before. No fun! Glad it worked out for you though!

Ali said...

Those look delicious. I love shrimp and cilantro/garlic. Stumbling this and adding it too my bookmarks. Thanks!

Rachel said...

øh noes!!!!! ;-(

Yes, reading shrimp packages carefully is a BIG and important thing. I've learned that the very, very, very hard way.

Your dish, however, looks amazing.

Sue said...

I LOVE fajitas~shrimp, beef and/or chicken! It's what I always order at a Mexican restaurant. Kudos to you for sticking with it:)

The Mom Chef said...

Oops. At least you're getting lots of smiles of recognition. We've all been there (some of us...like me....multiple times).

The fajitas look fantastic. I adore the idea of caramelized onions and would be using my finger to get up every drop of that lime sauce. Wow.

Sandra said...

Yummy..looks amazingly delicious!!!

Diethood.com said...

I've never had shrimp fajitas...never even thought to put shrimp in there. I wonder why... this sounds like an incredible dish!!

Kita said...

Ive never had shrimp fajitas - it's weird but shrimp in/on (pizza topping, quasadilla, tacos, u get the idea) things, I've never been to keen to try. They look awesome, savory and wonderful though. I need to get over my hump.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.