Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Slow Cooker "Rotisserie" Chicken: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

This week's post is a combination of two recipes from posts and a third from a cookbook.   I have been meaning to give a homemade version of grocery store rotisserie chicken a try for a long time.  At the same time, I am cleaning out my freezer in preparation for our move across the country.  With four whole chickens sitting frozen in that said freezer, this week seemed like a perfect time to "kill two birds."   I went over to A Year of Slow Cooking and then over to Our Best Bites to find a good technique.  I made foil balls and then used the little rack that came in my crockpot to keep the bird off the bottom of the slow cooker.
As you can see from the photo, I sometimes have a hard time getting "breast side up" correct.  Anyway, this seemed like a great way to make chicken.  I put a semi frozen chicken in the crockpot on high for 5 hours and  it was done.   The problem occurred when I kept it in the slow cooker for one more hour.  It was just a tad bit dry.

Next, I wanted to try a technique I learned in the cookbook, Cheater BBQ.  The authors advocate using a slow cooker to achieve great barbecue flavor by wrapping meat in foil and not letting it sit in its juices while it cooks.  So.  I tried a second bird the next day in a foil wrap.  I think it was better.
In both cases, I slathered the chicken with plain old season salt.  I cooked both on high for 5-6 hours.  Both were incredibly tender and flavorful.  The foiled bird, though, seemed more like the grocery store style bird.

Slow Cooker "Rotisserie" Chicken
1 whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
enough seasoned salt (or any flavored salt) to completely cover the bird

Rub the flavored salt all over the bird, inside and out, top and bottom.  Line your slow cooker with foil, with enough hanging out and over the edge of the top of the crock to be able to fold it over and seal it shut.  Place the bird on  top of the foil and close it completely over the chicken.  Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on high for 5 hours.  Check with a meat thermometer at 4 1/2 hours.  You want the temperature to be between 175 and 180 degrees F.  When done, remove  the chicken from the foil to a serving platter.  Cover and let sit for 10 minutes before carving.  

Now it's your turn to share your creations of the week:



35 comments:

LDH said...

That looks easy! Do you remember what the chickens weighed?

SnoWhite said...

What a delicious way to do a chicken -- and then make broth afterwards :) Blessings on your memorial day!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Chicken looks sooo delicious!!

Claudia said...

I am lazy and buy rotisserie more than I make it (and we have a rotisserie!). Your chicken is perfect - and you have me hankering for some.

SARAPLICIOUS! said...

I'm gonna have to try the Slow Cooker techniques. I usually cook my whole chicken on a Vrack Roasting Pan to keep it off its juices. Thanks for sharing the tip.

ping said...

Wow! This is interesting. I never knew we can do that in a crock pot. I've been afraid of the pot cracking if done this way. Is the inner pot of your crockpot made of clay or some other steel type material? This is really something I'd like to try. Thanks!

Joanne said...

Even after all of my anatomy classes, I still couldn't figure out which side was the breast! So don't feel bad. The chicken looks perfectly cooked!

Marelie said...

We love chicken at home but I never tried to cook this way.It looks so good and I am amazed cause the chicken looks so huge...lol! I brought my Mamon Tostado.Have a great week to all

Denise said...

Looks great I am going have to try this, never thought of the foil trick. Thanks

Prathima Rao said...

The simplest & most tastiest way to eat chicken, so I heard..Too bad im a veggie...This looks too yumm!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Miz Helen said...

Your chicken looks delicious. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful day!

Drick said...

I have roasted chicken many times in the slow cooker, with varying flavors and love the outcome... so much easier than the oven... have not tried the foil method, good idea

Barbara Bakes said...

I haven't tried roasting a chicken in the crockpot yet. I really should give the tin foil method a try.

Jill@madaboutmacarons said...

That chicken looks HUGE! So moist and full of flavour. Hope you're having a great memorial weekend.

Sandra said...

Roasted chicken is one of my favorites..you made it wonderfully..I am really hungry now looking at your mouthwatering photos!!!

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

This is an interesting technique! I'm definitely going to try it.

Vimitha Anand said...

Drooling over that chicken... Looks so flavorful and yum...

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

What a great idea! I love rotisserie chickens, what a perfect idea to get it done at home!

Evan @swEEts said...

I'm always a fan of a dish that's a one pot stop :) This sounds delicious..what a great idea!

Chaya said...

Love the chicken. I do have to use my crockpot more often.

Oops, I called my muffins a loaf. I guess the photo will clarify. It would probably make a good loaf cake or quick bread.

Happy When Not Hungry said...

I'm a huge fan of crockpot meals! This chicken looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

A whole chicken in a crockpot! Never would have thought of that, what a great way to cook it!

Ryan said...

This is a great idea! I'm a big fan of grocery store rotisserie chicken so I'm looking forward to trying this out in my crock pot! Sounds like fun and sounds delish!

The Harried Cook said...

You've done such a great job, Kristen! That roast chicken looks very good, and you make it sound so easy... Thanks for sharing this :)

Tina said...

Thanks for posting-I never use the crock pot much, but this tells me that I need to start. Simply delicious!

cookingwithchrissy said...

I love making a whole chicken in the crockpot...it always come out so tender.

briarrose said...

I must try the wrapped in foil method. The crockpot is about to get a workout. :)

Rita said...

I also have recipe for rotisserie chicken in the Slow Cooker; I will try the foil method next time.
Rita

kita said...

Now theres a slow cooker recipe I have to got try. I <3 my slow cooker and dont use it nearly as much as I would like to.

Magic of Spice said...

Since my sons cook, I have not made much chicken in the past few years. I do like the idea of using a slow cooker here though :)

Kate@Diethood said...

That's it?!? I am so doing that asap! Thank you for sharing!

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Amazing... really? I have never cooked a whole chicken myself and this was a very good lesson!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen better than this site.

karen said...

Not sure if I understand-if the bird is completely wrapped up in foil, wouldn't it be sitting in the bird-juice?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Karen, won't it still sit in it's juices wrapped in foil? Think I'll try the foil wrapped potatoes underneath and just cover the top of the chicken with more foil to see if it comes out more like a rotisserie chicken. Thanks for the tips!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.