Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pasta al Roquefort: Your Recipe, My Kitchen



This week, I am featuring a recipe from Culinary Flavors, written by my good friend, Katerina.  She lives in Greece with her husband and son.  I just love her recipes.  They all sound so good.  I happened to have some bleu cheese that I wanted to use up and I immediately thought of her Spaghetti al Roquefort that she posted in December.  It sounded so good that it stuck in my mind all this time.  I didn't even have to look up my bookmark to know just where to find it.
Any kind of pasta will do for the base.  Katerina used spaghetti, I used whole wheat penne.  The sauce is so good, it would go well on rice or a baked potato, too.  It would even taste fabulous as a sauce on a sandwich.  I had a hard time not eating it by the spoonful while I waited for the family to gather around the table.  

I was a bit of a chicken and only used 1/3 cup of bleu cheese.  Katerina used grams to say how much to use.  I think 150 grams is closer to 2/3 cup.  None of my kids think they like bleu cheese by itself, so I thought I would sneak it into the sauce.  It was a success.  They all thought the sauce was delicious.

Pasta al Roquefort: (adapted from Culinary Flavors)
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cans evaporated milk
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup bleu cheese crumbles
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1 box pasta, cooked according to package directions
In a large saucepan, melt the butter.  Stir in the flour until smooth.  Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth.  Grate some nutmeg into the milk.  Stir constantly over medium low heat until it starts to thicken.  Remove from heat and stir in bleu cheese until melted and well incorporated.   Temper the egg with a little hot liquid and then add back into the sauce.  Return to the stove and heat until it simmers slightly, but doesn't come to a full boil.  Remove from heat and serve over hot pasta.
What have you made this week?



27 comments:

SnoWhite said...

I haven't cooked much with bleu cheese -- this looks good, though!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

I really like blue cheese, and this rich and creamy pasta dish looks like a recipe that I would serve to company with a salad and crunchy Italian bread!

Kim - Liv Life said...

Nearly anything with blue cheese is a hit for me! Actually, I wouldn't have said that about 15 years ago as I would touch the stuff, but now I can't seem to get enough of it! Nicely done!

aipi said...

That sauce sounds delectable!
US Masala

Marelie said...

wow! this sauce is really good..i have to try it.Thanks for sharing and hosting.Its nice to be back here..Im sharing my Butterscotch Bar

Denise said...

Sounds great !!! Thanks for hosting, Whole Wheat Pitas this week.

Beth said...

I love Katerina's blog too! That's amazing that you knew exactly where to look for the recipe. And how great that your kids liked the recipe too!

Prathima Rao said...

Loved the creamy, droolworthy sauce :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

The Harried Cook said...

I love blue cheese! I bet this tastes fabulous... I wouldn't have been as strong as you, and would have probably eaten most of the sauce before it even hit the pasta :) Thank you for sharing this, Kristen!

Lizzy said...

Mmmmm...what a decadent, flavorful pasta dish! I love ravioli with a blue cheese sauce, so I know I'd be a fan of this one!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

That pasta sounds tasty. Pasta is one of my favorite entrees. Good for you sneaking the blue cheese past the kiddos :)

Miz Helen said...

What a great pasta recipe. I am going to put this one on my will cook soon list. I was reading you post about your beginning the blog. You were telling my story and its nice to know there is someone else like me. Thanks for hosting and hope you are having a fun day!

Adriel said...

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of blue cheese and I'm kind of afraid to cook with it! LOL! Maybe I'll get over my fear of it? Is there another cheese that you can recommend in case I can't? =D I'm a new follower and participant in Your Recipe My Kitchen. Thanks for hosting!

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Hmm blue cheese! That's interesting as I never made sauce with blue cheese. It'll be fun to try. Thank you for sharing your friend's recipe!

Drick said...

love cheese so I know I would like this a lot, blues are really great, I tend to like the young ones, little milder I guess...

Miriam said...

The sauce sounds amazingly delicious! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Love bleu cheese! It has such a great strong flavor. :)

Ryan said...

The sauce sounds wonderful! My husband would love this. He loves anything blue cheese and this would be a great surprise for him! Thanks for posting!

Joanne said...

Mmmm roquefort cheese is one of my favorites! How delicious!

Emily Malloy said...

This looks so delicious!!

something_good said...

Gosh, and I'm dieting these days :(( I love Roquefort, especially in sauces for poultry.

Kate@Diethood said...

MMMM! Looks so yummy. Love the addition of bleu cheese. :)

Baking Serendipity said...

I have to be honest, bleu cheese isn't my favorite, but I think I could handle it snuck into a sauce like this one :)

Mikaela Cowles said...

This looks lovely. Normally when I make a blue cheese pasta, it just means lots of blue cheese on well peppered pasta noodles. I know, terribly gourmet of me. I think I need to try this, but with the full 2/3 cup of blue. YUM!

Giulietta@Alterkitchen said...

I love blue cheese, and I use it often in my dishes (especially risottos, but even as a salad dressing).. but it's so good just by itself!
Nice recipe!

Carolyn said...

Ooo, yummy! Love the roquefort sauce, it just sounds so good.

Monet said...

I have never had this before (I have never actually heard of it!) Thank you for sharing with me tonight. You injected my day with creativity and beauty (and you make my stomach growl!). I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow, my dear friend! Hugs and love from Austin.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.