Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hard Boiled Egg Cookies: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

Princess Pat, my four year old, came home from preschool last week with a dyed egg.  Her Easter party had been postponed due to an unexpected death in her teacher's family.  The egg was shown to everyone in the family. Then it was reluctantly placed in the fridge, only to be gotten out at least two or three more times that day.  She cradled it and talked to it.  When I asked her if she wanted to eat it, she looked at me with something akin to horror and said, "No!!"  I tried to explain that the egg was not going to last a long time, that in fact, it may turn a bit stinky if she didn't make a plan for it.  Then, I remembered a recipe I had seen recently on  Baking and Boys involving hard boiled eggs and cookies.  "How would you like to help Mommy make some cookies out of your egg?"  I asked her.  She can never resist helping in the kitchen.  After she peeled the egg all by herself, she gladly supervised the rest of the cookie making, too.
Because this was a completely new to me kind of cookie, I actually followed the recipe...except that I substituted pecans for the walnuts.   I was a little worried because Katrina said the cookie dough would be crumbly and mine wasn't.  I also have a really hot oven, so I took another minute off the time.  They turned out just right, though.  The recipe made 8 big, thick cookies.  Princess Pat ate 2 1/2 of them.  I don't know if it was pride of ownership or what, but she gobbled them up!  My other kids thought they were great, too.  This is a great alternative to Deviled Eggs after dyeing eggs for Easter.

Hard Boiled Egg Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (created through a collaboration of three bloggers: Katrina of Baking and Boys, Anna of Cookie Madness and Rita of Clumsy Cookie)
1 stick butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup quick oats
4 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp honey
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 hard boiled egg, chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup raisins
In a large food processor, pulse flour and butter until crumbly.  Add sugars, honey, salt, soda, cinnamon and vanilla.  Pulse again (here is where my dough became pretty stiff).  Add oats and pulse.  Add  the chopped egg and pulse again until combined.  (I could still see a few bits of egg and wondered if that would be a problem, but it wasn't).  Pour/spoon the dough out into a mixing bowl and work the raisins and nuts into the dough with your hands.  Form it into a symmetrical shape and cut it into 8 equal pieces (the original recipe said 9 pieces, but I am better at halvsies than thirds). Place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.  Do not over bake!  Let cool on baking sheet then remove to a wire rack.  (The cookies don't spread much).


Now it's your turn. What have you made this week that has been in your bookmarked pile (blogs, cookbooks, etc)?  Please be courteous and link back to this blog, as well as to link directly to your post!



31 comments:

Bev said...

I would have never in a million years thought about putting a hard boiled egg in cookie dough! Very interesting recipe :-)

Angie A said...

a hard boiled egg in a cookie! What a NEAT idea!! :) Thank you for sharing something I would have never imagined!

Vimitha Anand said...

Egg in a cookie.. Sounds too different but the picture looks so tempting...

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Hello Kristen! Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. :-) I just read your About page and I'm already following you on facebook! I'm a homemaker and I have 2 kids. I'm really excited to follow you now. This hardboiled egg cookie recipe is brilliant. I NEVER thought of adding "cooked" eggs in cookies! Thanks for sharing!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've seen these cookies on Anna's blog but I've never made them. I just don't get to cookies often anymore. They sound intriguing! Thanks!

Marelie said...

Wow! I never thought of adding hard boiled egg to my cookie...and it looks so good.Thanks for sharing and for hosting

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I never even imagined that cookies with hard boiled eggs existed. That is so cute that she finally relented to use her egg for cookies :)

Prathima Rao said...

Something totally new to me!!!! Interesting!!! And the cookies look perfectly done!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Miz Helen said...

I have never had a hard boiled egg cookie, but I will sure give it a try, it looks very good. Thanking you for hosting today and have a great day!

Sarah Naveen said...

this is so new to me...gotta try this..yummy!!

danasfoodforthought said...

Wow, I never would have thought to put a hardboiled egg in a cookie... but these look great!

aipi said...

I learn something new every time I visit your blog- amazing recipe!
US Masala

shopannies said...

now this one suprises me and I am going to see if my mother has ever heard of it she loves to bake and has been at it longer than me thanks for sharing a great recipe

Katerina said...

Well this is something I havn't thought of doing; add hard boiled egg to a cookie. Well as they say you always live to learn! So original!

Diethood.com said...

Oh wow, this is a wonderful recipe!! Thank you for sharing... bookmarked!!

Rita said...

Thank you for your visit; so I came to see you and so much enjoyed your post.
What a great mom you are; I wonder if would have thought to find a recipe besides egg salad to use your Pricess' boiled egg.
Love that you cook with her; she is precious.
Rita

Shu Han said...

ah haha that is such a cute story! I would never have thought of using hardboiled egg in a cookie!

Suzette said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! I have a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge, so will try these!

www.csperriton.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Great use of all those Easter eggs. Everyone loves a CC cookie!

kimberlycun said...

this is really cool! first time to come across a baking recipe using cooked egg.

Lizzy said...

wow, what an intriguing cookie. I'd rather have these, though, than egg salad :) Glad they were successful!!

E said...

What neat recipe. They look yummy!

Magic of Spice said...

What an unusual ingredient for a cookie...they look great, but still hard to truly wrap my mind around it. Glad they worked out :)

ravienomnoms said...

How very interesting!! I would never ever think to put a hard boiled egg in a cookie...I will have to try it!

Katrina said...

Sorry I'm so slow. I got way behind on blogs, emails and SU's! Your cookies look great and I'm so glad they turned out. I love them. (You knew that. ;)
They are certainly perfect for all those Easter eggs. The cookies freeze well, too!
Thanks for the shout out.

Susan Lindquist said...

So impressed with this use of hard boiled eggs! Yahoo! An alternative to deviled eggs! Thanks Kristen!

Denise said...

I have passed on to you the Versitle Blogger Award, you are one of my favorites

Mother Rimmy said...

Very cute story. I've never heard of hard boiled eggs in a cookie. Once you mix the batter, who would know. Very interesting!

The Chef said...

Great story and great way to "save" that egg! These sound good. Thanks for linking at Make a Food-"e"-Friend Monday.

(The Lucky Wife)

The Mom Chef said...

What a wonderful way to turn what could have been a childhood horror story into something fun and delicious! So the only "liquid" in the cookies comes from the butter and the honey? Oh yeah, and that tiny bit of vanilla? No wonder it's so stiff. It looks delicious though.

Alessio said...

Quite an interesting way to use hard boiled eggs... Now I have the idea of sprinkling a chopped one on top of my pancake.
You see what you have done now?? ;p

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.