Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Curried Morel Shortbread with Morel Chutney Cheese: Marx Foods Morel Challenge!

It's time for Marx Foods' 3rd Annual Morel Mushroom Recipe Challenge!  Each year, a group of bloggers is sent a sample of dried Morels and is asked to create an original recipe using these lovelies.  This year, we participants were asked to make an appetizer (which shot my Maple Monte Cristo sandwich idea right out the door!). Have you tried morels?  I didn't take any pictures of the mushrooms before I turned them into "cheese and crackers," but you can visit Marxfoods here to read all about them.  I thought they looked a bit like a little old lady's old-fashioned swim cap....with flowers.
I am afraid I spoiled my dinner on these little sweeties.  The shortbread rounds aren't actually sweet, but have a nice curry flavor mixed with the nutty flavor of the morels.  The cheese is slightly sweet and is a nice compliment to the savory of the shortbread.  They would make a luscious addition to an appetizer buffet.  

Curried Morel Shortbread
8 ounce brick cream cheese
1/2 cup +3 Tbsp softened butter
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 cup reconstituted, chopped morels, sauted for 2 minutes in olive oil
With a mixer, combine the butter, cream cheese, sugar, curry powder, salt and poppy seeds.  Add the flour and mushrooms and blend until a dough forms.  Roll into a log, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Slice into 1/8 inch thick rounds, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Morel Chutney Cheese
8 ounces cream cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Muenster cheese (or any really mild cheese like Havarti or even Mozzarella)
1/2 cup chopped reconstituted morels
1/4 cup apple poppy seed salad dressing (I used Girard's)
2-3 Tbsp mango chutney (I used Major Grey's)
Saute the morels in the apple poppy seed salad dressing for 2 minutes.  Drain off the remaining dressing.  Beat the cream cheese and cheese until fluffy.  Add the morels and chutney and whip until well mixed.  Place in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.

15 comments:

Belinda said...

Everything about this I love. Would love this to start my dinner tonight!

Jennifurla said...

Bravo, great recipe. I would love to try this, so inventive.

Christine's Pantry said...

Sounds great! Will try this. Thanks for sharing!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I'm sure that if these were in my kitchen, my dinner would be spoiled as well! They look like a spectacular appetizer. :)

The Harried Cook said...

Beautiful and creative recipe... Sounds fantastic! I love mushrooms and this would be very popular in our home! :)

Vimitha Anand said...

The shortbread looks so crunchy and the dip looks so creamy and yummy... Tasty looking combination dear...

Three-Cookies said...

A very unusual combination, never heard of anything like this before!

Rita said...

I have bought dried morels. but never thought of combining them to come up with such tempting recipe; you're good.
Rita

Pacheco Patty said...

These look like a wonderful, a very creative appetizer. I would like to try the shortbread with soft goat cheese instead of the cream cheese. I'm kind of on a goat cheese kick.
I could ruin my appetite for dinner in a few minutes with these beauties;-)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This sounds delicioys and very creative. I had never heard of morel.

Hester Casey said...

What an inventive recipe. I love morel mushrooms and this is such a gorgeous way to serve them. The savoury shortbread is genius.

Beth said...

Your shortbread looks wonderful. Looks like a great recipe!

Tiffanee said...

What a creative recipe. Looks and sounds delicious. It could be my dinner tonight.

therealandrew said...

What a delicious looking shortbread! Love to try this with a feta spread. Thanks for the recipe!

Cheers!
Andrew

[recipe club]

Dan said...

Very nice. I never thought about using shortbreads as a cracker-ish thing.

The spread looks cheesilicious.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.