Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Cranberry Crumb Muffins

I am going crazy trying to repost all of the scheduled things that Blogger lost for me yesterday.  Just saying.

It always seems like just about the time that Spring is ending and the temperatures start to climb above 80 degrees, I start wanting things made from cranberries and pumpkin.  There are nary a fresh pumpkin or cranberry in sight at the grocery stores, but that doesn't stop me, because I plan ahead.  My freezer has quite a few bags of cranberries and containers of frozen pumpkin puree.    Hope you don't mind, because you may see quite a few recipes using those ingredients in the next month or so.  Once the summer heat is truly here, I won't feel much like baking at all, so I have to get my fix while I can.
I really wanted cranberry orange muffins, but all I had in the produce drawer were a few measly tangerines and some lemons.  I juiced what little I could get out of the Cuties and then zested the lemon.  It only gave the muffins a tiny hint of citrus.  Next time I will make sure there are some oranges around before I make these.  Then I will increase the orange juice to 1/2 cup and decrease the milk to 1/2 cup. 
Cranberry Crumb Muffins (adapted from Taste of Home)
1 bag frozen cranberries
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup milk
zest from 1 lemon, chopped
1 heaping Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
In a bowl, combine the cranberries with 1/4 cup sugar and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and 1 cup sugar.  In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, oil, orange juice, milk and lemon zest.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed.  Fold in the sugared cranberries.  Spoon the batter into 18 greased muffin cups.  Combine the remaining sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle it over all the muffins.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until done.  Let sit in the muffin tin for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool.  

25 comments:

Belinda said...

I like your thinking!! I love these muffins!

Tiffany said...

Oh no! Urg.... blogger! At least you have muffins!

Three-Cookies said...

Crumb muffins are a nice alternative to the frosted cousins. I think I would prefer the crumb version

Deeba PAB said...

I love crumb bakes, and these look yum!

The Harried Cook said...

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear you lost your posts! :( But the muffins look fabulous & I am sure they would have helped you cope with your loss! I love muffins with a crumb topping! :) Thanks for sharing :)

Vimitha Anand said...

Looks so yum and feel like grabbing one right away!!!

Beth said...

I love muffins, and this looks like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Drick said...

orange seems to be my new 'this year' go-to flavor in so many things, mostly grilling but have used it in cakes as well lately.... your crumb muffins hits the spot, perfect I think for morning, snack or a good all day treat... so when is the move? and what part of the state?

Holly said...

I am such a muffin lover. Always loving to try new versions : ) This one sounds amazing!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Delicious! I love cranberries :)

briarrose said...

Yum...these look so good. It's always the crumb topping that makes a muffin perfection for me. ;)

I really must remember to freeze cranberries next year...until then I'm hitting the dried. ;)

Angie A said...

these look heavenly! Thanks for sharing!!

Susan Lindquist said...

Delish muffins! Good thing blogger couldn't reach into your kitchen and 'delete' those! ;-) I, too, lost two posts that I'd prepped, but at least they came back after a while. The post that I'd put out their though came back with just the bare bones ... no comments from folks ... boo hoo! I guess technology isn't perfect ...

ravienomnoms said...

I am such a muffin freak lately, these look really really good! I have always been a fan of cranberries in things like muffins, breads, or even pancakes. I love how tart and sweet they make things.

Stacey Rider said...

I love how easy muffins are in the morning - grab and go... making my life easier and the kids happy. Cranberries are so yummy as well - this is a win-win recipe!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

I know! Blogger was being such a pain! Glad these got posted, they look yummy.

Diethood.com said...

Oh my yumminess!! I love the crumb/streusel topping... that's my weakness!

Erin said...

These look delicious! I love muffins, they are always on hand in our house. This looks like a keeper!
Thanks!

Sandra said...

I have to try these..what an beautiful muffins and fantastic recipe..I am getting craving right now for these :))

Carolyn said...

Ooo, sorry to hear you lost a bunch of scheduled posts. I was fortunate, nothing scheduled and had posted my last one JUST before the cut-off of the ones that disappeared!
But the good news is, your muffins look delicious.

happywhennothungry.com said...

These cranberry muffins look delicious! I especially love the crumb topping as well!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

You sound just like me! I still have bags of frozen cranberries and tins of pumpkins. I am definitely in the mood now for some cranberry muffins.

Kita said...

Love cranberry anything! I was thinking of making cranberry muffins the other day :)

Kelly Pleadwell said...

Looks like a great recipe, I will have to try it!

chezsasha said...

These look yummy...I think I should start baking more muffins.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.