Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cherry Spelt Muffins


I wanted to make muffins last week, but I had no particular kind in mind.  I looked through the cupboards and found 1/2 cup of toasted coconut flakes, a bag of dried cherries, that ever present odd ball flour assortment I manage to keep around and thought, "Huh.  I wondered how I can make that all work together in a muffin."  I started thinking about a cherry coconut muffin.  It sounded pretty yummy.  I sat down with a pen and paper to jot down what I thought would make a muffin.

Originally, I was going to use almond flavoring, but alas, that was the only flavor of extract I couldn't find in my spice cupboard.  I decided brandy flavoring was the next best thing, and boy was it!  I don't use brandy extract very often.  In fact, I have no idea how old that little bottle is.  However, with the cherries and the coconut, that was the perfect little oomph to make these muffins phenomenal.

Cherry Spelt Muffins (makes 12 muffins)
6 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup oil (or melted butter)
1/2 cup agave nectar (or honey)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp brandy extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup spelt flour (can use all white or all whole wheat too)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup dried cherries
With a mixer, blend the cream cheese, oil, agave, eggs and flavorings.  Combine the dry ingredients and add to the wet, stirring until just combined.  Fold in the coconut and cherries.  Scoop into a well greased muffin tin.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until done.  Let cool on a wire rack.

28 comments:

Tubbah said...

mmm they sound so yum :) I must give them a try one day :) Thanks for posting the recipe

SnoWhite said...

what a fun combination -- glad you were creative with what you had in the cupboard. These look like a winner.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

These muffins look so good. I love baking with dried cherries. Love the addition of spelt flour.

Three-Cookies said...

Sounds awesome, honey and brandy go well together. The muffin is butter-free and sugar-free, even doctors may recommend this one!

Vimitha Anand said...

Flavorful and yummy muffins..

Rita said...

You are very creatinve; I love that; make do with what you have and it dos come out pretty good.
Rita

Amy @ Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free said...

Your recipe looks delish...I am always trying to use up what I have on hand, too.

I host a weekly linky party - Slightly Indulgent Tuesday - I'd love for you to share your recipes with us. My blog is gluten-free and refined sugar-free but your recipes don't need to be; they just need to be a little healthier in some way.

Hugs,
Amy

Magic of Spice said...

Such a great combination...I have never seen brandy extract before, interesting but I am sure it added that perfect touch :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What an iteresting flavor combination. It is always great when you can make something delicious using up
What you've got. I hope you'll come and share these tomorrow at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight tomorrow. Have a good one, kristen!

The Harried Cook said...

Sounds great, Kristen! Glad you provided a subsitute for the spelt, because we don't get it here... Love the addition of the dried cherries & brandy extract! I'm sure the cream cheese kept the muffins super-moist too! Thanks for sharing :)

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Kristen! What an interesting combination. Bakers always surprise me with creative ingredients. I usually "buy" baked goods, so ingredients are always same/typical.... Looks delicious!

Lori @ Laurel of Leaves said...

I'm a sucker for muffins--and these look delicious!

Prathima Rao said...

Interesting combo & an absolute delight!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Drick said...

I could use a couple of these right about now, would go so great with my morning jave... oh, and good choice on the extract, think it is a great idea

Erin said...

I have never seen spelt before? I have heard of it, but haven't seen it. Based on everyone's comments, I am going to have to search some out, and try it!

Steph said...

Fabulous muffins!! Love the flavors!!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love your ah-hah moment of genius!

The Farmers Wife said...

Your muffins not only look amazing, but the recipe sounds delightful!! I love it!

1kimkelly@gmail.com said...

Ahhh... Brandy Flavoring?? You can't go wrong! Spelt is currently my favorite flour and I'm using it all the time. These will be up in our kitchen soon!

aipi said...

This is so inviting and your pics are just worth drooling…yum
US Masala

Susan Lindquist said...

You are amazing! Nothing like looking in the cupboard and finding that great flavor combo! And the brandy is so fitting! I have been using kirschwasser with dried cherries (and those alien-looking maraschinos too) to add a slightly boozey depth to the fruits when I bake with them ... I bet the brandy extract does that too! Your muffins look delish!

PS - I'm curious about spelt flour ...

Roxana GreenGirl said...

these muffins sure sound good. i love coconut in sweet but never thought of pairing it with cherries. You're a genius Kristen.

Joanne said...

This mishmosh of ingredients turned out beautifully! Those are some tasty muffins.

Kate@Diethood said...

Delicious flavors... cream cheese, coconut flakes, cherries... that's a whole lot of yummy goodness in a muffin!

J-Lee said...

What a unique recipe; can't wait to try it out. This post made my five to try list for the week ... hope you have a lovely weekend!

Tiffany said...

I heart all things cherry! I bet the coconut went really nicely with the cherry!

briarrose said...

So much flavor packed into these beauties. Wonderful job.

kita said...

Im digging these little creations of yours. These muffins sound great, and I love the omphf from the brandy!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.