Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Apple Butter Pie

One day last fall, probably while I was either canning quart after quart of applesauce and apple butter or making a pie, one of the family asked if it were possible to make a pie out of applesauce.  I hadn't ever had one, but I decided to do some investigating on the Internet.  I was intrigued to find that not only are there applesauce pies, but there are also apple butter pies.  They are similar in texture to a pumpkin pie (but without the evaporated milk).  Now I was really interested.

I found the recipe that I used on  Andrea's blog PumpkinTart.  Sadly, she hasn't been posting much this year. There is still a treasure trove of recipes there, though, so take a peek and see what you can find.  I made a few changes in her recipe.  First of all, apple butter is pretty sweet all by itself, so adding 3/4 + 2 Tbsp of various sugars was way too much in my opinion.  Also, I totally cut out the butter.  There isn't any in pumpkin pie, so why put it in apple butter pie?  We didn't miss it at all. Finally, I added more spices...a little ginger and allspice to go with the cinnamon.
I will fill you in on a little secret that I didn't tell my kids.  I used the apple plum butter that I made last fall.  There was a little tang to the pie that none of my family could place...but mum's the word.  They liked it and ate it without any complaint.  Had they known there were plums in it, too...well, I don't know what they would have said.

Apple Butter Pie (adapted from PumpkinTart)
1 3/4 cups apple butter (beware that most store bought varieties have lots of sugar in it)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ginger
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 unbaked pie crust
Combine all of the filling ingredients and whisk together until smooth.  Pour into the pie shell and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 minutes.  Let cool on the counter and then refrigerate until ready to serve.  Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Now it's your turn.  Please feel free to link up any recipe that you have made from another blog, cookbook, friend, etc.  Make sure to tell us where you got the recipe.  And don't forget to link back to this blog/post.  Last week we had 30 links!!!  



26 comments:

Belinda said...

Yikes that looks dangerous - especially with that bit of tang!

Tiffany said...

I love the sound of this pie! I attended a pie social today... tons of different pies, but nothing like this. How unique!

Marelie said...

Thanks a lot for hosting.I came back to link mine.This Apple Butter Pie is extra ordinary and it looks really good

SnoWhite said...

that looks like a great pie :-) Plum sounds like a fun addition.

Katerina said...

That was so smart Kristen! You used the apple plum butter under their nose lol. Thank you for your beautiful wishes, I've already linked up!Thanks for hosting.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Oh, that pie looks wonderful!! THanks!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Kristen- This sounds great. I never knew you could make apple butter pie!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
We just love Apple Butter so I know we would love your pie. Thank you for hosting today and have a great week!

Jill Colonna said...

This looks an amazing pie and so different. Love the wee secret in there, too with the extra tang.

Sandra said...

Wonderful tasty pie...great ingredients, and love your photos, which making this pie even more delicious!!!

danasfoodforthought said...

When I went to the Amish country with my family when I was younger, we brought home a container of apple butter. It was so good I ate it with a spoon. Making it into a pie sounds just amazing! Great recipe :)

Vimitha Anand said...

Lovely texture... Creamy and crispy... Perfect pie...

Erin said...

I'm bookmarking this to make for my Dad. He will love it!!!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

I am IN LOVE with apple butter, so you know I have to try this one. :)

Denise said...

I love love love applebutter, I have this printed and in the pile to try after Easter, Thanks for the great recipe

briarrose said...

Ooooo.....apple butter pie...I have never seen this done and it looks so so good.

The apple plum butter version sounds delightful as well. ;)

aipi said...

Oh my - So lovely it looks that I want one slice..or two..or more..NOW!! :))

US Masala

Lizzy said...

Apple butter always reminds me of breakfast in my parents' kitchen...yum! First time for me to post a link :)

Ms. F said...

Perfect!! I have so many jars of apple butter left over after last summer and since the kids were more infatuated with the cinnamon peach jam I've had to gift a number of the jars. You've inspired me, this weekend I'm making this pie.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I love apple butter and this pie looks and sounds wonderful! I'm bookmarking this to make in the fall :o)

Sue said...

You sneaky mom, you:) I like the results of your investigative research!

Diethood.com said...

WOW! apple butter....yummy! That is a fantastic looking/sounding pie!

Angie A said...

this looks delightful! adding to my must try list!

Evan B said...

I like the sound of this! And you reminded me how I need to get on my canning this year :)

Joy said...

I love love apple butter. This looks great.

Kita said...

Ive never had apple butter but I knew someone when I was younger that lived by it. Maybe I should break down and try it - who doesn't love pie??

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.