Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thai Chicken Noodle Soup: The Secret Recipe Club

 A few months ago I joined a foodblogger group on Yahoo groups.  It was so fun to find that many of my favorite bloggers were already members of the group.  If you want to join the group, go here.  Anyway, Amanda, the moderator and all round gal in charge had a brilliant idea to form a Secret Recipe club within the group.  Those of us who wanted to participate signed up and were then were assigned another blog to visit and cook from...secretly. We are going to do this every month.  If you want to participate, sign up here.
 Today is the reveal.  I was given Winnie's Healthy Green Kitchen.  I had so much fun looking through her recipes.  She has beautiful photos and great healthy ideas.  She has recently started a blog party called Eco-Friendly Friday.  If you have any environment conscious posts, ideas, recipes, etc...go over and join her!
 Of all of Winnie's recipes, I knew I had to try her  Thai-inspired Coconut Chicken Noodle Soup.  It looked so delicious.  I love soups, too, because they are easy to stretch to feed a large group.  The soup I made served ten.
 I did a little fiddling with the recipe.  I don't have access to kaffir lime leaves.   I bet there aren't any within 100 miles of my house.  I also didn't have any Date and Tamarind Sauce.  So I punted.  The results were a huge hit with everyone.  My second son, the Thinker, said, "Mom, you could sell this soup in a restaurant."  Thanks, Winnie.
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup (adapted from Healthy Green Kitchen)
8 cups chicken stock (homemade is best, but 4 can chicken broth will do)
1 1inch chunk ginger root, peeled
2 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 1/2 tsp ground corriander
1 small onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp chile oil
1 can coconut milk
3 medium carrots sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped (I actually used a handful of dehydrated red peppers)
1 cooked chicken, boned and chopped
1 package soba noodles, broken up
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp sriracha hot chile sauce (or more if desired)
juice of 2 limes
cilantro for garnish
In a skillet, saute the coriander with the onion and garlic in the chile oil. Set aside.  In a Dutch oven, heat the chicken stock with the fish sauce and ginger root.  Heat to boiling and then turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.  Remove the ginger root and discard.  Add the contents of the skillet to the Dutch oven, along with the coconut milk, carrots, red pepper and chicken.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes, covered, until the carrots are soft.  Add the noodles, salt & pepper to taste and lime juice.  Turn off the heat, let the noodles cook in the warm water for 15 minutes.  Serve with cilantro as a garnish.


24 comments:

Megan said...

What a great twist to a chicken noodle soup. Great recipe choice!!! :)

Amanda said...

This is a beautiful looking soup! What a great find, so glad you participated this month, such fun!

Tami said...

Bet this was delicious. I'm always on the hunt for new ways to make chicken noodle soup.

The Harried Cook said...

What a lovely sounding recipe! Thank you for sharing... I really love soup!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

This soup looks great! I made a similar version from a Food Network Magazine recipe :-)

sara826 said...

I have a had cold for two weeks now. This might be the soup to get rid of it! Thanks.

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Simple and delicious! I've got to try this. :)

Kelly said...

I always love your posts and your pictures look wonderful! :)

danasfoodforthought said...

The soup looks delicious, and this sounds like a fun event! I just signed up, so maybe next time I'll be picking a recipe from your collection :)

Anna C said...

I always try to keep some broth in the freezer for a last minute homemade soup. Your Thai soup sounds delicious.

Magic of Spice said...

I agree with your son, definitely a lovely recipe :)

Lizzy said...

Oh, this is my favorite kind of soup! My printer is getting a workout tonight~

Shelby said...

Looks delish! I used to have a hard time finding ingredients too! Learning how to improvise sure does have its benefits too!

Carolyn said...

What a great idea for a cooking club! Sounds like fun. Your soup looks wonderful!

Jill Colonna said...

I adore soup and adore Thai dishes and you putting this into one amazing fragrant dish like this is just pure luxury. love the idea of a secret club, too!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YUM! This sounds awesome!

Hester Casey said...

I love the idea of a secret recipe club! What a great soup too and that sounds like high praise indeed from your son. This is a must make!

Emily Malloy said...

I looooove this soup! Great recipe. Cute club!!! :)

Anne said...

Last week I was trying to make a Thai-inspired chicken noodle soup, but it was only OK. I should have thought of coconut milk! Sounds delicious.

Bromography said...

The secret recipe club sounds like a lot of fun! Yummy soup recipe which is perfect for a rainy spring day.

bookaddict4real said...

Thanks for linking up with Whatcha Makin' Wed!

Deeba PAB said...

I love that you picked this soup from Winnie's blog...this soup is a winner!

Christy said...

what a fun idea...the secret recipe club! the soup is gorgeous...i would definitely give it a try. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

The Mom Chef said...

What a great idea...that secret recipe club. Great challenge too. I love the idea of this soup and wasn't disappointed when I read the ingredient list. It looks fantastic. No wonder you chose it. Thanks for sharing.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.