Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sour Milk Chocolate Cupcakes


I had some milk that was about to go bad.  It was beyond drinkable, but it wasn't lumpy and gross.  In the old days, when refrigeration was unreliable, sour milk meant cake.  So, I headed to some of my older cookbooks.  I found this cake recipe in The American Woman's Cook Book by Ruth Berolzheimer.  It was the perfect answer.  I changed up the recipe a bit (of course).  It called for boiling water, but I thought perhaps a coffee-like addition would help the flavor.  I don't drink coffee, though, so I used Postum, a grain based beverage that I would never in a million years drink, but love in baked goods. (How's that for an off-handed recommendation!)
The cake was moist and delicious...with no hint of the milk that I used.   One word of advice, though...definitely use cupcake liners when you make these.  I learned that the hard way.   I almost ended up making cake balls out of half of the cupcakes.  Instead, we had some mighty misshapen little cakes.  

I threw some store bought coconut pecan frosting on top.  The cakes were not the mild Germans Chocolate cake that usually goes with that frosting, but they were good enough. My kids ate them with gusto.

Sour Milk Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from The American Woman's Cook Book)
1 cup lard (or butter or shortening)
2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup boiling water (or Postum or coffee)
9 Tbsp cocoa
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour milk (can use buttermilk)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Cream lard and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the beaten eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Add to the egg mixture alternately with the sour milk.  Slowly add the boiling water and mix until smooth.   Scoop into cupcake liners (24) and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until done (20-30 minutes).  Frost as desired.

http://verygoodrecipes.com/cake

25 comments:

Belinda said...

What a great way to make the most of almost spoilt milk.... Delicious - love the frosting!

ButterYum said...

I can't tell you how many times I've wondered if there was a recipe out there to use turning milk. Thanks for posting this.

:)
ButterYum

Vimitha Anand said...

YUmmy and rich looking cupcakes...

Sue said...

Wow, I would have never known. Such a tasty alternative to throwing it out! I'll have to remember this. Your cream puffs look delish too:)

Tiffany said...

Great post, I'm drooling!

thejoyofcaking said...

Good save on the milk and cupcakes! I love chocolate cake made with coffee. Your recipe has all the ingredients for a perfect flavor!

The Harried Cook said...

How clever! I never know you could use milk that was turning... Thank you so much for sharing this! The cupcakes look really delicious!

Rosemary said...

I think it's great how what you have on hand inspires us to make something great. (Postum is a weird thing.)

Drick said...

now you know the cup of lard got my attention.... so how do you know when milk is sour? by the smell, before it lumps?... guess I have never thought of it before but I do remember seeing recipes using sour milk and, not knowing, thought it meant buttermilk... thanks for the info

danasfoodforthought said...

I often have left over milk from recipes that call for only a cup or two. The rest usually goes bad... this is a perfect way to use it up!

The Better Baker said...

Oh Yum! A fantastic way to use up that milk. Your photos make these look sooooo inviting! Thanks for sharing -

The Country Cook said...

Loved the off-handed recommendation..lol. So many good tips in there. Love how you brought back an old school recipe. I totally would put the frosting on top too!!
Brandie

Gina said...

Hi Kristen,
So glad to have you on the list. He He I didn't know you could use sour milk in baking, way better than throwing it out. Just came to grab your url, I didn't have a master list before I moved. Hope you have a great weekend.
-Gina-

briarrose said...

What a great recipe. The thing to do with misshapen cakes is to eat the evidence. ;)

TheChocolatePriestess said...

Nice solution. We often don't have milk go bad but I'll remember this for those moments we do because I bet I can get folks to eat cupcakes even if they weren't drinking the milk like they should.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What a great way to use up that old milk. There are so many old recipes that are just awesome :)

Terra said...

It is true, we learn something new everyday. I always just pitch something that is spoiled. Instead of thinking about ways to use the ingredient, so you don't waste it! These really do sound wonderful!
Take care,
Terra

Lizzy said...

Ooh, I know these cupcakes must have been super moist! And everything tastes better with that marvelous German chocolate frosting...yum!

MrsJenB said...

I love old recipes, and the principle of making use of every last thing in the kitchen. Thrift is definitely a concept which needs to be revived!

Thanks for sharing this @ SSH!

Erin said...

That's perfect! Your cupcakes look great! (And the frosting looks totally yummy too!) I love old recipes!

LDH said...

I would eat these cupcakes with gusto too! They look great!

Ann Kroeker said...

My kids love to drink milk, so we rarely have some that gets to the point of no return...but if we do, I am coming here to try your recipe!

Thank you for linking to Food on Fridays--it's nice to have such great resources right at hand!

gingerbreadcake said...

I love chocolate cupcakes and these look sooo good. It's good to know what I can use old milk for now. If I could use it for anything, I'd definitely use it for these chocolate cupcakes! :)

C&C Cakery said...

What a neato recipe - I've never seen anything like it! I'll keep it in mind next time I've got a bit of milk sitting in the bottom of the gallon :)

Katerina said...

I don't drink coffee either. This is a great way to use this milk. I will definitely keep this recipe as many times has occurred to me to have milk like this and throiw it away!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.