Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes: Your Recipe, My Kitchen

I have a hard time trying new pancake recipes.  It's the case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  However, last fall, in the midst of the flurry of pumpkin recipes, I decided I needed to try a pumpkin pancake.  I found a delightful recipe on Pinch My Salt.  Biting my nails, I served them up and handed out the plates to my kids.  They dove in and declared them delicious.  Because it was early in the morning, I didn't realize that I hadn't taken any pictures until the last empty plate was rinsed and stacked by the sink.  Drats!
This was such a great recipe, though, that it was not a hardship to make them again a few weeks later.  This time, I saved out a plateful for the photos.  The others were gobbled up with the same gusto as before.
The original recipe calls for whole wheat flour and a different combination of spices than I used.  I used frozen pumpkin from a fresh one that I baked up in the fall.  I also doubled the recipe in order to feed the crowd.  Frozen pancakes are a great thing to have in the freezer, so feel free to double this, too, even if you have a smaller family.
Pumpkin Pancakes (adapted from Pinch My Salt)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour 
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp agave nectar
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In another medium bowl, combine the wet ingredients.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk them together.  Ladle the pancakes onto a hot griddle and brown on both sides.  Serve warm with maple syrup and butter or a sweetened whipped maple cream cheese or even whipped cream. 


Now it's your turn.  Show us what you have made with recipes from other blogs, cookbooks or even family recipes. ..anything that's been on your list of recipes to try.  Please link back to this blog or post.  


25 comments:

Angie A said...

these look delightful! Thank you for posting!

Claudia said...

They do look morning-tasty - but I had to laugh. I have proudly served stuff and it wasn't until just crumbs were left that I realized there had been no photo. So, you just had to make them again! I'll bet your family was pleased!

The Harried Cook said...

We eat a LOT of pancakes in this household and this would be a great addition to our repertoire :) Thank you so much for sharing! :)

baking.serendipity said...

Pumpkin is a favorite any time of year...especially in pancakes! Happy Easter :) Wishing you a fantastic week!

Kristi said...

We have pancakes almost every Sunday night. Can't wait to try these! Thanks for hosting!

Marelie said...

Thanks for hosting.I came back to link my Sweet and Sour Fish

Beth said...

I know what you mean about pancakes. Once you have a recipe that works, it's hard to try a new one! The mix of flavors in this recipe sound great though. I'm glad they were such a hit!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

The pancakes look great! The kids love pancakes, they request them weekly around here, thanks!

Jane said...

Yum! Your pancakes look awesome! I added a slow cooker recipe. Thanks for hosting!

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for hosting. This is my first time linking up.

Miz Helen said...

Your pancakes look so yummy! Thank you for hosting and have a wonderful week!

gingerbreadcake said...

I love anything with pumpkin an I especially love pumpkin pancakes. These look sooo good! :)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YUM! These sound delish! have you made them into waffles?

Katerina said...

Perfect for a great morning start! This pile looks mouthwatering Kristen!

The Country Cook said...

AND the family is getting healthy benefits from the pumpkin and they don't even know it..LOL. Very nice!!

France Morissette said...

They look great! The first time I made butternut squash waffles my husband was a little nervous too. I had to tell him that the idea was pumpkin pie in a breakfast format. Then he chowed done like nobody's business. Maybe I should have made pumpkin pancakes

Vimitha Anand said...

Perfectly cooked pancakes look so very yum....

aipi said...

So light n fluffy- my hubby loves pumpkin pancakes very much..

US Masala

Lori said...

Anything pumpkin sounds good to me. They look so light and fluffy too.

Denise said...

Just love pumpkin pancakes, I have a 10 can stash from last fall of pumpkin, gonna have to make some soon. Thanks

julie said...

Those pancakes look fabulous! I have a leftover can of pumpkin that is screaming to be eaten and these are the perfect cure for that. Yum!

Gina said...

These sound so good, I've been craving more pumpkin even though it isn't fall anymore I usually keep some puree in my pantry for occasions such as this.
-Gina-

Kim Kelly said...

My kids love pumpkin pancakes! We stock canned pumpkin in the pantry just so we can have them all year round. Love these!

briarrose said...

Wonderful use of pumpkin. I could just dive into that stack. :)

Lizzy said...

Fun recipe...I've only made plain ordinary pancakes...maybe I need to expand my repertoire!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.