Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce

 
I have been making bread pudding since I was first married  (we celebrated our 23rd anniversary in April).  My husband and I both love the texture and flavor.   I don't usually use a recipe.  It's like French toast.  Do people use recipe for that?  The way my bread puddings differ is in the kind of bread I use, whether or not I add dried fruit or if I use a sauce.  Sometimes I serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.  This time, I opted for a caramel sauce.  I had a couple of volunteers to lick out the saucepan that contained the sauce.  
Because this is a food blog and I love all of you, I kept track of the measurements of this bread pudding.  It made a lot.  There are a lot of us after all.  Feel free to halve the recipe...the pudding won't mind.  I used whole wheat rolls and a few lonely hot dog buns this time.  Almost any bread will do (though I am a bit skeptical of an onion bagel). 

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce: 
12 dinner rolls and 4 hot dog buns (or enough torn bread to completely fill a 9X13 pan)
1/2 cup sugar
8 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cans evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
caramel sauce: 
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp agave nectar (or corn syrup...if you so choose)
1/2 cup half and half
1 tsp vanilla extract
Place the torn bread in a greased 9X13 pan.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, evaporated milk and cinnamon.  Pour the liquid all over the bread.  With a fork, turn the bread and make sure it's completely coated with liquid.  Let sit for 10-15 minutes on the counter and then bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 40-45 minutes (if you used a lot of bread, it will take longer...if you used less, check after 30 minutes).   To make the sauce, bring the butter, brown sugar and agave to a boil.  Let boil 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and slowly stir in the half and half and vanilla.  Let cool a bit and serve over individual servings of the bread pudding.

34 comments:

Ann said...

I love bread pudding but mine never comes out that great. I think I'll try your recipe, looks great!

Faith said...

I have been loving using agave nectar in things lately and I adore bread pudding...I had some with a bourbon vanilla sauce once that was aaaahhhhhhhhh mazing!

Ryan said...

I love bread pudding but have never had a good recipe for it! I'm so excited to try yours! The caramel sauce sounds wonderful and its great that you can use any kind of bread! My family will love this!!

Vimitha Anand said...

Looks so great and yummy... Would have been a delish combination...

The Harried Cook said...

I don't think I'll ever tire of bread pudding! Never had it with a caramel sauce though... sounds & looks yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

Prathima Rao said...

Hey katerina...ur bread pudding looks delightful!!!! Love the addition of half & half...
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

SnoWhite said...

I've never had bread pudding, but I'm pretty sure I'd love it... especially this version!!

Joanne said...

Oh how I adore bread pudding...this looks absolutely amazing!

danasfoodforthought said...

I love bread pudding... how else can you make stale bread that you would otherwise toss into a delicious dish that people what to lick the bowl for??

Adora's Box said...

Bread pudding is tops when it comes to comforting desserts. The caramel sauce gives it a special oomph!

Jill Colonna said...

Sounded a lovely way to celebrate your anniversary. Caramel on bread pud is a great idea.

ryann2 said...

Love bread pudding and this recipe looks great! :)

Leslie Uhl said...

I do love a good bread pudding, what a lovely way to celebrate!

celia said...

Nothing quite like a classic bread pudding. Love the use of agave in the caramel, too!

Jennifurla said...

Never made a classic version, this looks super good.

Christie said...

Ooh, add some salt to the caramel sauce and it would be awesome!

Sandra said...

Fantastic recipe! Delicious!!!

thejoyofcaking said...

I have never made bread puddding - shame on me... I might have had some when I was a little girl and my grandma made it - can't say for certain though. I think yours looks and sounds so delicious. I'm inspired to make some now.

happywhennothungry.com said...

I have never made bread pudding before, but this looks amazing! I definitely need to try this!

Elisabeth said...

I always have so much rolls left over in my freezer, that I know will not get used up. Your bread pudding recipe is awesome, and adore the caramel sauce to go with it. Love the combination of the milk, and condensed milk!
Amazing recipe to be bookmarked and to make, for sure...ASAP
xoxo

Comfy Cook said...

This looks great, especially with caramel sauce. If you have a moment, would you link it to Let's Do Brunch. I just posted it. This is a delicious recipe that everyone is going to want to make.

http://sweetsav.blogspot.com

K@nn(())raan*കണ്ണൂരാന്‍.! said...

i have got this for my half! thanx mam.

Kim Kelly said...

I never had a good bread pudding until I was in my mid 30's, however I loved it!! I have never made one myself though. Your flavors and a description of french toast-like sound simply wonderful. I'm thinking my kids would really like this! Now we just need a weekend!

Emily Malloy said...

Um.


Wow.


:)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks wonderful!!!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

Oh my this looks wonderful! Old fashioned puddings are always the best - thank you for sharing your recipe!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

I love bread puddings and yours looks amazing! With all of that caramel sauce I would have troubles not eating the entire thing!

Magic of Spice said...

Happy Belated Anniversary to you and your husband! This looks so good and with caramel sauce, delicious :)

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This bread pudding looks amazing! It's the caramel sauce that is luring me in....yum!

Susan Lindquist said...

Yes, please! This looks so wonderful! You should be soo proud of yourself ... tempting all of us with this gooey concoction!

Lizzy said...

Oh, wow! If there is caramel sauce involved, I'm a huge fan. This looks fabulous~

Kita said...

I love it! The hot dog roll makes it for me. What a great way to use up leftovers. Looks delish!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

Thank you again for sharing this delicious bread pudding recipe with Let's Do Brunch - hope we will see you at the next edition of the linky tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

I really liked the article, and the very cool blog

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.