Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Flax Wheat Bread

This is one of my favorite "healthy" breads.  If you have taken a look through the yeast bread section of my recipe page, you will find that I am much more likely to make a maple ring or a carrot cake donut than a whole wheat bread.  I am working on that....slowly.  It's not that I don't enjoy good-for-me foods.  They just aren't as fun.  I am working on that, too....slowly.

The recipe for this bread came out of a diet book.  I wish I remembered which.  Over the years, I have looked into just about every fad diet out there.  That's what libraries are for.  After checking out the books, reading through the whys and wherefores of the diets, I would copy a few of the recipes and then check the book back in.  It seems to work better for me to incorporate the good tasting recipes of many diet plans than to use one three week plan over and over and over.  That is, when I do diet.

This bread?  Well , I like it whether or not I am watching my weight, sugar, salt, fat or whatever intake.  It is amazing with peanut or any other nut butter.


Flax Wheat Bread:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 cup white flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flaxseeds (flaxmeal)
1 Tbls oil
3 Tbls honey
2 tsp salt
1 Tbls + 1 tsp yeast
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the oil, honey and salt. Add 1 cup whole wheat flour, flaxmeal and white flour. Beat with a dough hook in a mixer or by hand. Add remaining wheat flour and knead thoroughly. Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down and shape into a loaf and let rise in a greased loaf pan. Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.  Remove from pan, brush the top with a healthy oil/fat/butter.


22 comments:

Belinda said...

This gives diet a good name!

Diethood.com said...

I'm with Belinda... that is a great loaf of bread! And it's so healthy... score! :)

Vimitha Anand said...

Perfectly done bread... Would be great to have with butter and jam...

Katerina said...

I am on diet this is perfect for me! Summer is on its way and I have to get rid of couple of kilos!

danasfoodforthought said...

This bread sounds so delicious. I bet it's so comforting right out of the oven that you'd never know it's good for you!

Brooks Walker said...

Diet books contain some amazing recipes which are hands-down delicious and this one appears to be no exception. even your choice of peanut butter looks gloriously healthy. Brava to you for taking care of your health AND your tastebuds!

Free Spirit Eater said...

I've never had this kind of bread, but you make it sound and look so good I must try it. I was just telling my fiancée that I wanted to bake my own bread and now I find your recipe, it's meant to be =]

Bylandersea said...

Hot bread from the oven can't be beat. Bet it smells divine.

Denise said...

Looks great gonna give it a try, but I think I will use the bread machines dough cycle and see what happens. Thanks for the recipe

happywhennothungry.com said...

This bread looks so healthy and delicious! Would be great toasted! Yum!

Lizzy said...

I adore flax seed bread...and would love to make it myself. With your glowing endorsement, I will try this one! Thanks~

The Harried Cook said...

I love how healthy and tasty that bread looks! And I am a big fan of flax seed bread... Thanks for sharing this!!!

Shirley said...

This is so healthy and lovely.

Monet said...

Smile. This bread recipe is very similar to one of my all time favorites. Isn't flax wonderful? What a great loaf from one of my favorite bloggers. You always inspire me with your beautiful AND healthy eats. I hope you have a wonderful end to your week. Stay safe and happy. Love from Austin.

Joanne said...

This bread is definitely super crazy healthy! I need to make a point to pick up some flax next time I'm at the store!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I relate to you on the terms of it being more fun to cook the less healthy stuff. Ah well. Your bread sounds good and I love that there is flax seed in it. Yum :)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

It's looks so rich and hearty. Who doesn't love homemade bread!

mywanderingspoon said...

Beautiful bread recipe....I would love to try and make this bread....thanks:)

Sue said...

I should make this bread. My husband bought flaxmeal, but we have yet to use it.

briarrose said...

Wonderful bread...I can easily see a slice with a nice smear of honey...yummy.

mangocheeks said...

This recipe tempts me and guess what I have some flax seeds at home.

The Mom Chef said...

I have some flax flour that someone gave me so I may just have to use it on this. I've had a hard time getting Dudette to eat whole wheat bread (the best I can do is the whole wheat white, thank goodness for that). Thanks for sharing your library diet book find. :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.