Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Crowd Pleasin' Chili

I can call this "crowd pleasin'" because I took a pot of this chili to a local chili cook-off last year and won an award of the same name.  This chili has a nice flavor.  No one would ever say it will put hair on your chest (do people still say that?).  I don't usually put a ton of heat into it.  As it is, Princess Pat insists on two dollops of sour cream in her bowl and an extra 30 minutes to finish it.  She is still working on enjoying beans or anything spicy.  The rest of my family loves this.

 It's also one of my go-to meals when I need to take a friend or neighbor a meal.  It always turns out well and takes no more effort than browning some hamburger.  The rest of the ingredients simply simmer in a pot for a few hours and "poof!" it's done.  I usually crumble up some corn muffins in mine.  The rest of my family likes it with shredded cheese and sour cream.  They prefer their corn muffins on the side with honey.
Crowd Pleasin' Chili (adapted from Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes)
1 pound ground beef
3 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 14 ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 14 ounce cans northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can green chiles
1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chile powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 cup water
Brown the ground beef in a large Dutch oven or stockpot.  Combine all the remaining ingredients into the pot and simmer 2-3 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so.

17 comments:

Comfy Cook said...

I think this will be Chaya pleasing, as well.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love chili and I usually serve mine over some rice. True comfort food. Sorry I haven't been by for awhile -- I was on back to back trips.

Tiffanee said...

YUM!! Nothing better than a good bowl of chili!! Hubby would love this one.

Adora's Box said...

Just how I like it. I like lots of beans. The long cooking time must have packed it with flavour. No wonder the crowd was pleased :)

Prathima Rao said...

Of course it would be a crowd pleaser...This looks finger licking good!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

danasfoodforthought said...

I can see why this is a crowd pleaser... sounds delicious!

Are you submitting this to this week's BSI Broth (hint hint)? :)

Katerina said...

It would please me for sure Kristen! It looks mouthwatering!

Beth said...

Your chili looks great. It's terrific to have a go-to recipe like that to take to neighbors.

Joanne said...

I can definitely see why this was a winner! Looks like it's super flavorful and full of good-for-you ingredients!

Angie's Recipes said...

Your chilli looks so good! I somehow want to dip some bread in it!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YUM~ Love me some chili!

His Way or Her Way said...

I love to try different chilis even though I have a favorite recipe. This looks so good! I am a new follower. Hope you'll visit our blog soon!

Lori

The Mom Chef said...

This is definitely going on the "to-make" list. Hubby loves chili and I haven't found one that is just IT for him. This looks like a winner (and, doggonit, it was!).

Claudia said...

Hmmm ... never have done the cornbread routine - I am a sour cream and cheese person - but now you have my interest. I have never put cumin in my chili - that so works and this just goes to show that down-home comfort food is always welcome wherever you go.

Belinda said...

Definitely looks like a sure winner to me. I'll do cornbread, sour cream, and cheese!

Ann Kroeker said...

Looks great! I like mild chili, so it would be an Ann-pleaser award-winner. :) I also like crumbling cornbread into my chili.

Glad you linked to Food on Fridays!

Torviewtoronto said...

wonderfully done chillie

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.