Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Cream Puffs

There just aren't enough hours in the day lately.  I am afraid blogging and sometimes even cooking are taking a backseat to life.  I will be throwing a few older recipes in the mix here and there in order to keep things going here.  By older, I mean things I made or baked a while ago...like maybe even a year or two ago...but never got around to posting.  The photos won't be up to snuff, but I stand behind the recipes 100%.  Like this old favorite:
Cream puffs have long been a huge favorite in my home.  My mom started making them when I was in high school.  Choux pastry filled with a rich homemade custard, topped with ganache.  YUM!  I remember her making up dozens of these little beauties and storing them in the second fridge under a layer of waxed paper.  I would sneak out and snatch one any chance I could get.  Nowadays, my own children and husband love them just as much as I did.

Begin by making a Choux pastry for the Puffs:
1 cup water
1 stick butter
1 cup flour
4 eggs
Combine the water and butter in a saucepan.
Heat until mixture boils.
Add flour and stir vigourously until it forms a ball (about a minute). Remove from heat and transfer to another bowl. Let sit 5 minutes to cool slightly. Add eggs one at a time. 
Drop by spoonsful onto an ungreased cookie sheet. This normally makes 8 large puffs, but I made them smaller to accomodate children.Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown and dry: for 45 minutes if big, 30 minutes if smaller.

Custard Filling: (this is my go-to custard for everything from cream pies to trifle)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup flour
1 can evaporated milk + enough milk to make 2 cups
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp vanilla
In a microwave safe bowl (I usually use my 8 cup batter bowl), combine sugar, salt and flour. Add milk and microwave a minute at a time until thick, stirring between each minute. Beat eggs in a small bowl. When milk mixture is thickened, stir a little bit into the eggs to temper them (this warms the eggs and prevents them from cooking prematurely. Scrambled eggs have no part in this custard!). Add the eggs into the custard and microwave a few more times for a minute at a time until nice and thick. Add the vanilla. Cool before filling the cream puffs.
Cut the tops off the puffs. Fill with custard. Replace tops. Either dust with powdered sugar or make a chocolate ganache for the topping.

Easy Ganache:
1 12 oz package chocolate chips
3/4 cup cream (or use evaporated milk)
powdered sugar (optional)
Melt chips with cream in the microwave for a minute. Stir. Microwave for another minute, stir. Keep repeating until mixture is creamy and smooth. If you want it a little thicker, add a little powdered sugar. Top cream puffs with ganache. If you have leftovers, it's great on brownies or ice cream or cookies or cupcakes!


41 comments:

Belinda said...

These cream puffs look amazing! I want some for dessert tonight.

briarrose said...

A lovely classic. I haven't done cream puffs in forever.

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I've loved cream puffs ever since I was a little girl. I would even ask for them instead of a birthday cake :o) Yours look great and brought back some delicious memories!

The Harried Cook said...

I love cream puffs! I haven't made choux pastry in ages and I have a strange feeling I going to have to make a batch very soon! :) Thanks for sharing!

Faith said...

I seriously love creampuffs, but I have been scared for some reason to make them. I bookmarked this recipe and its going to happen soon!!!

Shelby said...

I would have to say that cream puffs are my very favorite treat to eat. Yummy! Yours looks great!

Joanne said...

Are you crazy? These pictures look AWESOME. I could gobble up quite a few if only I could reach into the screen and grab one!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Be still my beating heart! YUM!

The Better Baker said...

So glad you shared...recipes don't ever get too 'old' to try. =) Do what you have to do and know fans like me will be waiting for you to 'catch up'. Great recipe - I love making cream puff cake, and these are so mouth-watering to look at. YUM-OOOOOOOOOO!!

The Country Cook said...

That's life right? Family and home come first! I'm glad you're bringing back some old favorites because I've never seen this recipe of yours before and I love it. I think I could actually make these!
Brandie

Drick said...

oh yeah, I love these too, Momma never made these but we always got them when we went to the city's bakery.... love that real custard filling, so many I see in stores now have cake frosting for the filling, and it taste like plastic

Prathima Rao said...

Looks so damn delicious!!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Those look amazing and YUMMY :)

Vimitha Anand said...

They look yum and flaky... Loved the dollop of chocolate

Jill Colonna said...

Well I'd certainly stand by that recipe! These are brilliant. Great quick ganache and a glorious gungy custard in there.... lovely gooey photos, too!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those look perfectly delicious. Cream puffs have been on my list to cook for a while!

Erin said...

Your cream puffs look amazing! I have never made them before but I might just have to try it. Thanks!

Liz @ Two Maids a Milking said...

My mom would go crazy for these and her birthday is coming up!! Just might have to make them for her!! We are having a baking linky party on our blog! Would love if you joined the fun!!

Cyndi said...

These look so yummy! Maybe I'll try them for Easter, either that or your coconut cake-I can't decide!

LDH said...

Oh yes, yummy cream puffs! Delicious!

Katerina said...

Blogging takes a lot of my time too! These puffs are awesome Kristen and are among my favorite when it comes to sweet!

Steph said...

I need some of these in my life! They look so darn good!

mark said...

I love cream puffs. They looks wonderful.

Lizzy said...

Mmmmmm....my mom taught me how to make cream puffs, too. Now I have a craving for one...or two...

Sandra said...

Yours tuned out beautiful and so delicious..I love the chocolate addition..Wonderful recipe!!

nutmegnanny said...

These look decadent and delicious!

happywhennothungry.com said...

These cream puffs look delicious! My mouth is watering!!!

Bromography said...

There should always be time to make these yummy cream puffs!

Monet said...

I understand the busyness...I'm feeling it too. But I'm glad you are still sharing such beautiful recipes. I love creme puffs. Thank you for sharing your creative culinary explorations...you inspire me, and I'm glad to know you. I hope you have a blessed day tomorrow. Much love and hugs from Austin!

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely cream puffs, looks fantastic.

Tiffany said...

Seriously, I have no idea how people do it...cook these elaborate meals, with amazing pictures, and blog about it everyday ... AND work and have kids! There really aren't enough hours in a day. Be gentle with yourself ... especially because we love all of your recipes! Even the ones in reserve :D

Magic of Spice said...

Lack of time is certainly a difficult one...But these cream puffs are wondrous :)

Free Spirit Eater said...

oh man i need cream puffs right about now, your ganache looks outstanding. thanks so much for sharing! =]

Susan S. said...

Oh my goodness....I just popped in your blog and LOVE it. I love finding cooking blogs that have "do-able" recipe and interesting commentary. I've added myself as a follower. Hope you pop in and visit me soon. Happy Spring Y'all from Houston, TX

Paula said...

what an awesome blog! I can`t wait to see your future posts! :)

have a great time,
Paula

Lisa said...

This is one thing I have never made and must try! Thanks for sharing this recipe - they look absolutely delicious!

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

Yeah! I am glad your back :)

bonnie said...

life can get hectic, but these cream puffs are sure to make the end of the day pure joy!! great pics!! I am also drooling over thoses snicker cheescake bars..yumm

sweetlife

thejoyofcaking said...

I love cream puffs. I just made some myself. Great minds think alike - lol...

Kita said...

Ive been itching to make cream puffs with my daddy for weeks now!! Its something we made together when I was a child. Love these. :D

The Mom Chef said...

I just introduced Dudette to eclairs and she loves them, so I know she'll love these too. Your recipe is delicious.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.