Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coconut Date Couscous Cake

 This recipe is completely different than most that I make.  I will just say that right at the beginning.  See, I had this jar of couscous that needed to be used and I had access to the internet; a dangerous combination for a creative cook, let me tell you.  Honest, I started off looking for a savory couscous recipe....something with curry.  Then I saw a picture of a lemon couscous cake and then another of an apple raisin couscous cake.  I was intrigued.  This is what I came up with.
 This isn't really a cake, not in the egg and flour sense.  It's really sweet couscous with fruit and coconut that has been pressed into a small dish and refrigerated until it sets.  I would say this is more of an adult dish than a family dish.  (Okay, I didn't share, so I don't know if my kids would have liked it.  In my defense, it didn't make enough for more than two or four servings.)  Change out the butter for a Vegan margarine and this could be totally Vegan.
Coconut Date Couscous
1 1/4 cup coconut milk (I made my own using this video as my guide)
3/4 cup couscous
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I actually used the leftover pulp from making the coconut milk)
2 Tbsp butter
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil, cover and remove from the heat.  Let sit 10-15 minutes.  Pour into a small dish (about 1 quart size), press down to form a cake like form, refrigerate at least 1 hour.  Carefully invert onto a plate or cut into pieces and serve.

This was plenty sweet for me, but if you want more, try drizzling some maple syrup or fruit syrup over the top.

23 comments:

Donna said...

WOW!! A-Ma-Zing! Coconut + Couscous = Love it:)

Belinda said...

Totally different and totally creative - awesome!

Diethood.com said...

Oh YUM! This sounds really good! I make something similar with quinoa... noone else in this house likes it, but me. :)

Suzette said...

I love anything with coconut, so this looks yummy!

I'll follow you if you follow me! ;) www.csperriton.blogspot.com

aipi said...

That's very creative! I would like to indulge in this right NOW!
US Masala

Monet said...

What a unique and creative dessert. I have some couscous that I need to use too! Thank you for sharing your sweet treat tonight. I hope that the end of your week is full of peace and joy. Your words make me smile, week after week!

Shelby said...

I could totally eat this!

Carolyn said...

I love, love, love this idea!!!

Joanne said...

Whoa! Cool! This is definitely super intriguing! I have some couscous sitting here so I'll have to give it a go!

Elisabeth said...

This is so unique, and amazing...luckily I have all the ingredients to try, but will put it off, for later. This is as unusual, as my rice pudding cake, that I created, and posted on my blog:DDD
Wonderful, and yummy, healthy creation.
Thanks for sharing!
xo

ping said...

Coconut and couscous ... who'd have thought they'd go so well together. Great idea!
Btw, I've added you to my tag list in this game plan. Hope you can join in the fun. I know it's short notice but I've also just been tagged today. Do drop by and check it out if you can.

danasfoodforthought said...

Ohh yummy! I've never seen anything like this, but it sounds really good! Sort of similar to rice pudding flavors, but without the weird texture.

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

So different...I am so glad you linked this up to Made it on Monday!

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

AM Nichols said...

I bet this would work with quinoa or rice, too.

Vimitha Anand said...

A very different and easy to make cake... Lovely flavors...

briarrose said...

What a neat recipe....great for when you need a change of pace.

Miz Helen said...

What a great idea. This looks delicious with a great combination of flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week! Have a great week end!

mywanderingspoon said...

Now, this is a must make recipe. I love couscous but never made using this beautiful ingredients. Wonderful recipe....thanks for sharing:)

Free Spirit Eater said...

I've never combined coconut and cous cous but I will now when I try your recipe! Looks and sounds delicious! =]

Kim Kelly said...

I'm really intrigued by this!! Someone above wrote that it would probably be good with quinoa, I'll bet it would. Nicely done!

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

Thank you so much for linking this delicious couscous cake to Let's Do Brunch, Kristen. We run the linky every week on a Wednesday so would love it if you would come along and link up again some time. I'm also involved in a new group called Ina's Garden, so if you have any Ina Garten recipes you have blogged about, we'd love for you to share them with us!

Megan said...

This sounds like a super way to eat couscous!

Three-Cookies said...

This is awesome, I love coconuts, dates, couscous and sweets, this is all in one! Definitely on my to make list.

Thanks for dropping by.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.