Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

 This is my new favorite soup.  I love soup, but this one is number one on my list, at least this month.  It's even better the next day, too.  The corn tortillas have a chance to thicken up a little, almost like little homemade noodles.
In my large family, I have to double or triple the recipe (depending on how many leftovers I want).  I have used rotisserie chickens from the store, canned chicken, leftover chicken and fresh chicken....it all works, so use what is convenient.  I have used cans of Rotel, but on days when there was none in the pantry, I have used diced tomatoes and a jar of salsa.  This is a very forgiving recipe.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:
4-6 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can chopped green chiles
1/2 stick butter (or 1/4 cup olive oil)
2 14 ounce cans tomatoes with chiles (like Rotel)
2 14 ounce cans chicken broth (or 4 cups homemade)
1 cup chopped cooked chicken
1 8 ounce brick cream cheese
4 small corn tortillas, cut into small squares
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic salt
garnishes: fresh cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese
In a stockpot, saute the green onions, garlic and green chiles in the butter or olive oil.  When soft, add the tomatoes and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Add the chicken and simmer 20 minutes.  Add the cream cheese and tortillas, stirring to melt the cream cheese.  Add the seasonings, stir through and serve.

27 comments:

The Harried Cook said...

Yummy! I love these flavors!

I can so do with a bowl of this right now! :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Vimitha Anand said...

I love anything with chicken and this looks rich and flavorful...

Sue said...

I love tortilla soup! I've had many variations, and I always love it:)I haven't had one with cream cheese though~YUM!

Drick said...

I love this soup, may be my favorite too... and even in the hottest months, in the heat of Mexican summer vacations, I like to enjoy this lovely soup... this and limon soup

Jill Colonna said...

I'm like you. A just adore soup and have it most days for lunch. Your soup looks so refreshingly different. It's high time I had a change, so thank you for showing me this. It looks just delicious!

Emily Malloy said...

Cute bowl!!! The soup looks great!

Marie said...

This looks really delicious--can't ever have enough soup recipes, and you especially can't beat a forgiving soup... :) Thanks for sharing!

ravienomnoms said...

I adore chicken tortilla soup, I love to put a dollop of sour cream and guacamole on that soup. Delicious!!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I love chicken tortilla soup and this looks and sounds exceptionally delicious! Love the kick it has from the chiles and rotel. YUM!

Ryan said...

Oooh, I love chicken tortilla soup! I have to take a meal to someone this week. This may just be perfect! That's great that you can triple the recipe too!! This is bookmarked!

Kate said...

Chicken Tortilla Soup!!!! So delicious.

Pattie T. said...

Gosh this looks good, and I have everything on hand (I'm one of those people who does keep Rotel tomatoes - 2 cans or more - just in case of a dip emergency. Thanks for the yummy recipe.

julie said...

I love tortilla soup! This looks like one tasty bowl!

Wok with Ray said...

I love tortilla soup and your soup is a great looking one! I will definitely try your recipe. Thank you for sharing.

Ray

Amy's Cooking Adventures said...

Looks great! Chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites!

Pacheco Patty said...

Thanks for sharing this simple flavorful chicken tortilla soup, my son is always asking me for a recipe to make tortilla soup. I will pass your link along to him;-)

Devi McDonald said...

This sounds like the best soup ever. Yummy!

Manuela said...

I have never had tortilla soup before, but this sounds like such a great soup!

Joanne said...

What a delicious and classic recipe that can never fail to make your taste buds happy!

Peggy said...

This bowl of soup sounds fantastic! Definitely love the versatility of it!

Diethood.com said...

I also like this soup a lot... I could go for this right about now.
The color of your soup is just gorgeous!! What a lovely presentation!

Katerina said...

I love versatile recipes that can use anything that has your pantry! Seems like the perfect family soup Kristen!

Susan Lindquist said...

This soup is just so perfect ... love the flexibility of the ingredients list ... and, I love the bowl and plate you used to present this recipe! So perfect all the way around!

Mother Rimmy said...

This is the perfect week night meal. It would please everyone in the family, and quick to put on the table!

Kristi

baking.serendipity said...

This was one of my new favorites this past winter too :)

Lizzy said...

I love the addition of cream cheese...mmmmmmm. And I have a feeling we still have some soup weather left :(

Kita said...

I gave the ingredients a quick once over and made sure to bookmark this (can't turn down a block of cream cheese for anything). Can't wait to try this - though Im pretty sure soup weather is over in my neck of the woods (hahaha, that's counting the chickens before they've hatched big time)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.