Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Key Lime Coconut Cake

Last year, key lime treats were all over the food blog world.  It seemed like everywhere I looked, someone was making something wonderful with those tiny little fruits.  Everyone, that is, but me.  I drooled, I bookmarked, but I didn't get around to making anything.  This week, though, I happened to get hold of a bag of little key limes.  It seemed that the stars finally had aligned for me to get one of those bookmarked recipes made.
I chose a simple cake,  Angel Food Coconut Lime Cake from the blog, Hannah and Claire Eat.  They haven't updated their blog since August, 2010, so it may be a dead blog now.  Have you noticed that some blogs just fade away?  It is an argument for printing out recipes,  I guess.  Anyway, back to the cake.  From the photos, you can see that I didn't make an angel food cake.  I substituted a yellow cake mix.  I threw lime zest and coconut into the batter.  For the frosting/filling, I added an envelope of Dream Whip and a little milk instead of folding in Cool Whip.  Like always, it was a matter of what I had on hand.

Key Lime Coconut Cake (adapted from Hannah and Claire Eat)
1 yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp key lime zest
1/3 + 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup key lime juice
1 envelope Dream Whip
1/3 cup milk
Mix the cake mix, eggs, oil and water until smooth.  Stir in the lime zest and 1/3 cup coconut.  Bake at 350 degrees in two 9 inch greased pans according to mix directions (Mine took about 25 minutes).  Let the cakes cool on a wire rack.  For the filling, beat the lime juice and sweetened condensed milk.  Add the Dream Whip and milk and mix on high for 5 minutes.  Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups coconut.  Place the bottom cake layer on a plate.  Spread half the filling on top, to edges.  Place the second layer of cake on top of the filling.  Spread the second half of the frosting on top.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  

Now it's your turn.  Join up with any recipe that you have had on your "to try" list, be it from another blog, a cookbook or one that a friend gave you.  The more the merrier!  Please link back to this post and link directly to a post, not to your home page.  



29 comments:

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This sounds wonderful. I love citrus flavors. I linked my peanut butter balls that I've had on the "to do" list for over a year!

Green Girl said...

key lime and coconut in one cake- oh, so exotic. would love a piece right now.
thanks for sharing Kristen

Vimitha Anand said...

Perfect tangy cake... The crunch of the coconut would have been lovely to munch on...

Blackswan said...

Lime & coconut sound tasty. Yum!

Monet said...

I've been craving tropical flavors lately...I just made some coconut poundcake last week. This cake looks delicious, and I love how you are tackling all of these recipes you've been meaning to try. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a happy week. Your posts bring me joy...thank you for being you!

Pegasuslegend said...

I have made this cake before and its wonderful your looks fantastic!

Lizzy said...

Love the wonderful, fresh flavors in this cake...and we all need the shortcut of a box mix now and then, especially when it turns out like this gorgeous cake!!!

Carolyn said...

This looks so good, I saved it instantly to my favourites!

The Mom Chef said...

Wow, that looks delicious. What a rich frosting. I have to admit though, that my first thought when I saw the ingredient list wondering how much your fingers cramped holding on to all those tiny key limes to be able produce 1/3 cup of their juice? :)

Belinda said...

Lovely!! You know I like key lime almost anything.

Katerina said...

My husband just loves lemons, limes etc. to his sweets. I believe this could easily become his favorite!

Bethany said...

oh my goodness - yummmm!

Rachel said...

I love citrus and coconut! I made some coconut lime cupcakes last year that were amazing. I need to make them again and photograph them!

Thanks for the reminder!

ravienomnoms said...

That looks so amazing and I am sure it tastes even better!

Delishhh said...

Coconut is one of my favorite flavors. And with key juice YUM! Ok this is a recipe i need to try.

egbkid said...

Yum, looks so Summery and delicious!

Mother Rimmy said...

This looks like the perfect dessert for my next bbq. We are fortunate to have a covered deck, so we bbq all year around. Lovely recipe! Love the combination of coconut and key lime. Refreshing.

Kristi

happywhennothungry.com said...

This cake looks delicious! I love the flavor combo. It makes me ready for warm weather!

FamilySpice said...

Lime and coconut - a pair made in heaven!

Nisa Homey said...

The cake looks gorgeous and lime and coconut combo...is just perfect.

Magic of Spice said...

Great combo, looks so delicious!

briarrose said...

Lime and coconut....so yummy together...plus I get that song going in my head which makes it extra fun. ;)

Denine said...

My grandfather loves Key Lime Pie - but this year for his birthday I might have to make this instead! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

I love anything to do with citrus! Yum. Bring it on over to What's On the Menu Wednesday.

Joy said...

That looks wonderful.

Sue said...

Your cake looks so luscious!

Barbara Bakes said...

What a great flavor combination. I never thought about not being able to access bookmarked recipes. Good point.

Tiffany said...

Looks tasty! I just made a lime-coconut flan this past weekend!

gingerbreadcake said...

I just adore lime and coconut together. This cake look sooo good!! :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.