Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Empanadas

My husband spent some time in Argentina before we met.  He loved it there; the people, the land, but especially the food.  He still talks about the food.  After almost twenty-three years of marriage, I finally got around to making him some empanadas.   I found a wonderful recipe for them over on Dana's blog (Food for Thought)...only, I had no time for a crockpot meal and my husband wanted beef empanadas, so I improvised.
I used Dana's dough recipe and the dipping sauce she included.  Be sure to use the sauce.  My children were practically licking their plates to get the very last bits of the sauce.   If you have time (aka plan ahead), use Dana's filling, too.  You cannot go wrong with chicken and lime.
I made a hamburger based filling.  I found a recipe in one of my Mexican cookbooks that seemed adaptable  to fit the bill.  I was wrong, though.  My husband, while he loved the empanadas, said the flavors were not Argentine.  He wanted a beef, cheese, potato combination.  This was a beef, tomato, spice, raisin combination.  I suppose that gives me another excuse to try them again. It won't take me another twenty-three years to get around to it now that I know how good they are, though. 

Beef Empanadas ( using Dana's Lime Chicken Empanada's dough and sauce)
Filling: 
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup beer (or water or non-alcoholic beer)
pinch cinnamon (1/2 of 1/8 tsp)
pinch ground cloves (1/2 of 1/8th tsp)
1/8 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 14 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp agave nectar
1 Tbsp champagne vinegar (or other mild vinegar)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (or 3 tsp dried)
1/4 cup raisins
3 large green olives, chopped fine (optional, but adds a nice flavor and texture)
Dough
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (I used lard)
1 cup cold water
1 egg, beaten (to brush on top)
Sauce:
1 cup ranch salad dressing (I ran out of dressing at 3/4 cup, so I added mayo to get the full amount)
1/4 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
To make the filling, brown the ground beef with the onions in a large skillet.  Drain any grease.  Add the garlic and beer and boil down until the liquid has all but disappeared.  Add the cinnamon, cloves, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in the tomatoes, agave, raisins and vinegar and cook over medium heat until the tomatoes have reduced to a thick sauce and the raisins are nice and plump.  Stir in the cilantro and olives and heat through.  Remove from heat.
To make the dough, combine the flour, baking powder and salt with the lard in a large bowl.  Use a pastry blender or fork to mix to a crumbly state.  Stir in the water (you may need less or more, so add a little at a time) to form a dough.  Divide the dough into two balls and knead each a bit on a floured counter.  Roll one ball out to 1/4 inch thick...or thinner.  Cut into 4-5 inch circles (a metal bowl makes a good circle cutter).  Place 2 tsp filling on the middle of each circle.  Fold the dough in half over the filling, forming a semi-circle and pinch the edges together with a fork to seal.  If you have a dough press, they work really well.  Place the empanadas on a cookie sheet, brush the tops with the beaten egg and bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Serve warm.
To make the sauce, combine the ranch dressing with the spices.  Let sit ten minutes for the flavor to develop a bit.
Now it's your turn.  Please feel free to link up any recipes that have been on your "to try" list.  Hopefully it hasn't taken you over twenty years to get around to it!!  Be sure to link back to this blog or post, please.  



40 comments:

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I made a recipe wig similar ingredients from cooking light that my family loved. It didn't have a dipping sauce so I think I will have to try adding the sauce next time. Empanadas are delian. Be sure toshare if you get another recipe :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Sorry posted from my phone and it changed my typing!

Drick said...

no offense, but I can't wait to try this recipe.... now I am sure yours was equally good, you just didn't provide it....

Belinda said...

Looks wonderful. Your husband is lucky!

MiaZagora said...

Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I worked at a Mexican Restaurant where we served Empanadas stuffed with a raisin/apple(?) filling as a dessert. I don't remember ever having one, but I was a picky eater back then. Just before serving - fresh and piping hot - we would drown it in whipped cream and cinnamon sugar!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

The dipping sauce sounds amazing!

Katerina said...

I would lick my dish if I had these empanadas for lunch or dinner! They look awesome!

Blackswan said...

I've travelled to most parts of the world but yet to visit Argentina. Lucky you!

Over in S'pore, we call this Curry Puff but I've yet to try with Beef. Thks for sharing!

Isabel - Frabisa said...

Qué ricas empanadillas que has hecho, uhmmmmmm!!

danasfoodforthought said...

Hi Kristen... I'm so glad you liked the dough and the sauce! The ranch sauce was definitely my boyfriend's favorite part, too. Thanks for the mentions :)

I Like To Cook 222 said...

Your empanadas looks yummy! Will be trying it out soon!

Miz Helen said...

Your Empanadas look so good, we just love Empanadas. I shared my new Southwest Tilapia Chowder. Thank you for hosting and have a great week!

Pegasuslegend said...

I have always wanted to try these, with the olives in there you have now sold me got to make these bookmarking your look perfect~!

Vimitha Anand said...

Look so yummy and as u said finger licking

aipi said...

Great looking empanadas..perfect recipe!

US Masala

Cooking Rookie said...

This looks yummy!

yvettesblogs.com said...

This golden dough looks as if it might have a crunch in it's texture.Looks Delicious!

yvettesblogs.com said...

This golden dough looks as if it might have a crunch in it's texture.Looks Delicious!

Food Gal said...

I like how these are baked, rather than fried. The filling sounds like total comfort food, too. ;)

Tiffanee said...

Yum! They look delicious!!

beth ebin said...

These look great. I love empanadas! and the dipping sauce sounds so good

Lizzy said...

Meat and bread...how could this be bad? Looks fabulous~

PS...so glad to join the fun with a link :)

Jill Colonna said...

This is the first time I've heard of Empanadas: they look fantastic!

Jay said...

very tempting recipe...sounds like must try..
first time here...awesome space you have with lovely collection of recipes..
proud to follow u..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Lauren said...

These sound so yummy. Great for entertaining

Cake Duchess said...

Argentina is such an incredible country.I adore empanadas and yours look delicious!

Joy said...

That looks wonderful. I love baked empanadas.

Magic of Spice said...

Your empanadas look fantastic!

happywhennothungry.com said...

These look awesome! I've never tried making empanadas. Great job!

alissa said...

I love empanadas but I've never made them myself. Your recipe sounds and looks so good!

Thank you for linking up!
Alissa

Emily said...

My husband and I both love empanadas. I have never tried to make them. Maybe I will surprise him this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

Joanne said...

I've always wanted to try my hand at empanadas and it seems like yours turned out fabulously! Your husband must have been so happy!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

I've never made empanadas myself, but love eating them. Yours look great and the filling, even though not quite authentic sounds delicious!

Diethood.com said...

mmmm the empanadas look really good! especially that stuffing - delicious!

Debbie said...

Sorry I missed out on linking this week. I don't always get here before Tuesday or Wednesday. When do you close your linky?

Mother Rimmy said...

My daughter spent time in Chile on a mission trip and we went to visit her. Their empanadas have beef, half an egg and a raisin. They were delicious! These look incredible too!

Kristi

Sue said...

Mmmmm, in college I had a roommate that had lived in Argentina and she made empanadas for us:) I loved them! They were great to grab out of the refrigerator and take off for class:)

briarrose said...

Beautiful and tasty. These are something I haven't tried before.

Martha (MM) said...

This is awesome! I've been way too busy lately to get into recipes but once I move I will get back to my "Try a new recipe night" and play along. I don't know how I missed this in previous weeks!
You have to fill me in on your move when you have a chance!!

Martha (MM) said...

PS - These empanadas look really good!!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.