Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Deep Dish Pizza


I am returning to a favorite blog for this week's featured recipe.  I cannot help it.  Chickens in the Road contains my kind of homey, basic cooking.  Someday, I will attempt her cheese making instructions.  Maybe I will have a wheel of cheddar aging in my attic....ah, maybe not, but it sounds like fun.
I have been wanting to make a Chicago style deep dish pizza for many years.  The idea of a three inch thick slice of pizza appeals to me on a very basic level.  Why it's taken me so long to get around to this recipe is beyond all understanding.  It was actually very easy to throw together.
(I can't tell if that is an appetizing photo or not, but you can see how thick and full the pizza was)
This isn't exactly a recipe.  It's more of a technique.  You can use my crust recipe if you choose or the one on Suzanne's site or your own personal favorite.  The same goes for the sauce.  In fact, this time, I cheated and used a can of Hunt's Spaghetti sauce because I am using up canned goods again in preparation for another move....to Florida!  (Do you like how I just threw that in there and left you?  More details will follow as the move approaches this summer).  I think this pizza is forgiving enough for you to be able to use anything you have on hand.  It can be completely vegetarian or a mighty meat lover's style.  
Deep Dish Pizza (from a technique on Chickens in the Road)
olive oil
1 jar of pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce or at least 2 cups homemade
16 ounces shredded mozzarella, divided
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Fillings (I used 1 pound hamburger, 2 bell peppers, 1/2 onion, and about 20 slices pepperoni)
Make up the dough according to directions.  Squirt some olive oil into the bottom of a deep 9X13 pan...at least 1 Tbsp.  Place the dough into the pan and up the sides after the first rise.  Bake 450 degrees for 10 minutes.  Remove from the oven.  Put 8 ounces (2 cups) of cheese on top of the crust.  Then pour on your fillings.  Place the remaining 8 ounces on top of the filling.  Pour on the sauce and then top with the Parmesan cheese.  Return the pizza to the oven for another 20 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving, the filling will be really hot.

Go read Suzanne's post, she also shows you how to make a stuffed pizza!

Now it's your turn!  Link up any recipe that you have made that came from another blog, a friend, a cookbook....anything you have had on your "must try" list.



26 comments:

Sue said...

Oh my gosh, that side photo of the slice of pizza looks out of this world!

Belinda said...

Whoa. Would love to sink my teeth into that!

Food Gal said...

So, there aren't any calories in this, right?? LOL
I wish! ;)

Jennifurla said...

Looks great, where in Florida? I grew up my whole life in Ocala Florida. Hate those lovebugs, ha.

Reeni said...

I love deep dish pizza! This looks ooey gooey and delicious!

gingerbreadcake said...

That pizza looks so delicious, I wish I had that for dinner instead. I've never had deep dish pizza before. How exciting that you're moving to Florida! I wish I was moving back there. :)

SnoWhite said...

What a great pizza recipe -- I love deep dish; we don't eat it nearly often enough. Congrats on the move to FL... wow!

~ Lyndsay The Kitchen Witch said...

My son is home from university next week and I am so going to make this for him!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Yum! Your pizza looks so good!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

That pizza rocks! Thanks!

Leah @ Beyer Beware said...

Yes, please! Looks fantastic. Can't wait to try it.

Katerina said...

Kristen I don't have to comment on this one. It is a pizza and I am a well known sucker for pizza so what more can I say!

Erin said...

Your pizza looks delicious! I wish I had some right now for breakfast!!!

Vimitha Anand said...

Oh looks so cheesy and yumm. Would love to have a deep and big bite...

egbkid said...

Yummy, looks delicious!

ryann2 said...

I'm with everyone else, looks really yummy!

Miz Helen said...

Your Pizza looks awesome, yum! Thank you for hosting and have a great day!

Drick said...

indeed the deepest pizza I have seen... looks pretty appetizing if you ask me...

aipi said...

The deeper the better for a bread/pizza lover like me..lol. .especially when done as well as that..


US Masala

Denise said...

Sounds great, gonna add to my list of recipes to make, thanks for the great recipes

Sandra said...

Yummy yum..who wouldn't loveeee this dish, deep dish pizza..delicious!!!

Lizzy said...

I know my hubby would be thrilled if he came home to this! Love the thick crust and nice layer of gooey cheese :)

Megan said...

Now this is my kind of pizza!

briarrose said...

Yum....wonderful looking pizza and sure to fill my belly. :)

Kita said...

I love a deep dish pizza but sadly, the BF does not. I need to sneak one in soon though. Look at all that dough (all for scooping up more sauce!). Looks delish!

chezsasha said...

There are no words to express how much I love deep-dish pizza. Good job : )

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.