Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Swedish Meatballs


Sometimes, amidst all the crazy new recipes I try, it's nice to throw in some comfort food.  In my house, those comfort recipes include chicken enchiladas, spaghetti, chicken fingers and beef stroganoff.  Swedish meatballs are, in a way, like a combination of spaghetti and stroganoff.   Can't see it?  Well, in my convoluted way of thinking, on one hand you have pasta, red sauce and meatballs for the spaghetti and on the other you have a creamy sauce, beef and noodles for the stroganoff.  Take the meatball idea from one and throw it in with a type of creamy sauce and noodles from the other and what have you got?  Yup.  Swedish meatballs.
Swedish Meatballs (adapted from Taste of Home)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tsp salt
1  tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 tsp onion powder
2 pounds ground beef
Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2  14 ounce cans beef broth
1 pint heavy cream (I used 1 can evaporated milk and a half-pint of cream)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the meatball ingredients and, if it doesn't gross you out, mix together with your hands (otherwise, use a big spoon).  Form into meatballs and bake on a jelly roll pan.  Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until done.  (Note: I used about 2/3 of this mixture to feed 8 and froze the rest of the meatballs for another day - I am thinking a barley meatball soup).  For sauce, melt butter in a Dutch oven. Stir in flour to form a smooth paste.  Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil stirring constantly to keep smooth. Reduce heat; stir in cream/evaporated milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Cook and stir another 10 minutes.  Add meatballs to sauce, heat through and serve over egg noodles.  Garnish with dill or parsley as desired.

Friday Potluck
Fat Camp Friday   

22 comments:

Jennifer said...

mmmm, I love comfort foods. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I've never made Swedish Meatballs before. Sounds easy and like something my family would like.
Jenn

Belinda said...

One of my biggest weaknesses...esp at dinner parties. Bad to put them in front of me. Thanks for the recipe!

Monet said...

Swedish meatballs certainly seem like comfort food to me! These look delicious, and I'm sure they taste even better. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great Friday...I'm ready for the weekend to be here!

Julie said...

These look so delicious! A perfect special dinner.

From the Kitchen said...

Delicious! I haven't had Swedish meatballs in years. Thanks for the recipe and the memories.

Best,
Bonnie

Trish said...

I don't know where I ever got it in my head I don't like Swedish meatballs, because this recipe looks sooo good.

I'm going to get over myself and try to make this soon :)

Joanne said...

I've never had swedish meatballs but they seem like they definitely have all of the components of some good hearty comfort food. These look delicious!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Yum! Swedish meatballs are like the perfect combo of comfort foods- pasta, meat and creamy sauce. What more can a person ask for? :) Thanks for sharing your recipe and have a nice weekend!
Katie

The Fajdich Times said...

I have copied your recipe for future use. They look delicious:)

Katerina said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I try to cook fancy for my blogging but sometimes my family just asks for just a simple comfort meal such as this one!

Susi said...

Swedish meatballs are always a hit when on the dinner menu here! Something about the creaminess along with pasta and you have the perfect comfort food combination :o) Hope you have a wonderful weekend and you guys are not freezing to badly in Flagstaff!

Vimitha Anand said...

Perfect for a family lunch... They look yummy...

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this dish looks so yummy! thank you for sharing this with us and have a great weekend.

aipi said...

That sounds like such a comfort food..hearty n comfy!!

US Masala

Beth said...

There's nothing like comfort food. This looks great!

ravienomnoms said...

I love swedish meatballs! My mom used to make these for us all the time when I was younger, I haven't had these in years...

es65 said...

I love Swedish Meatballs. They always seem to hit the spot with me. I haven't had dinner yet and how I'm wishing I had some right now!

Diethood.com said...

Great choice for a comfort food! Swedish meatballs are delicious... I can definitely see the stroganoff connection.

Lizzy said...

My boys would love this!!! Great new comfort food to add to our rotation~

Susan Lindquist said...

One of our favorite dinners ... your recipe looks wonderful ... love nutmeg and allspice in the meatball mix, don't you? My recipe also has sweet paprika and lemon zest and a bit a lemon juice ... just a bit different.

Yummy!

mywanderingspoon said...

Love the meatballs Italian and Swedish....sauce is amazing:)

The Mom Chef said...

I'd definitely throw this in the comfort food category. Yours looks absolutely delicious. Since Dudette loves meatballs, I'm guessing this is a sure thing. Thanks!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.