Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Potato Rolls

These are the rolls I remember most from my childhood.  Mom, like all good cooks had trends to her cooking.  She had favorite recipes for a while and then moved on to others.   I remember beef enchiladas all through first and second grade.  I remember whole wheat bread in sixth and seventh grades.  By the time I was in high school, we were eating biscuits, fried chicken and lettuce salads (always served in a warped antique wooden bowl).  These rolls aren't on her rotation any more, either, but luckily, I can make them myself now.  I don't know why but all you have to do is say "potato bread" or roll or doughnut or whatever and I am all over it.

These are made simply by adding instant potato flakes to a rich egg dough.  The recipe calls for simpl making round rolls, but if you are feeling fancy, like I was, you can turn them into cloverleaf rolls by breaking those bigger rolls into three little balls and throwing the dough into a muffin tin.

Potato Rolls (from my mom)
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1 cup warm water
1 envelope yeast (or 2 1/2 Tbsp)
2 beaten eggs
1 cup instant potato flakes
4 1/2-5 cups flour
Heat milk, sugar, salt, butter and water in a microwavable bowl until butter melts.  Let cool slightly.  Add eggs and stir.  Add the yeast and let a sponge form.  Add the potatoes and then the flour.  Knead about 8 minutes. Put in a greased bowl, cover and let double (about 1 hour).  Punch down dough and divide into two halves.  Make 12 balls out of each half and place in greased 9 inch pie pans.  Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until a deep golden brown.  Brush with butter as soon as you remove them from the oven.


28 comments:

Faith said...

Oooh I love potato rolls. ANd isnt that funny how things go into rotations? Right now I am all about meat balls. LOL!

Lynn said...

Yum! I saw a can of potato flakes in my pantry the other day and thought to myself, that I should decide what to make with those soon. So thanks! I'm all over this tomorrow.

Trisha said...

I'm a first time visitor and newest follower and I simply love your blog. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful recipes. I can't wait to try them!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Where in the grocery store are potato flakes usually located? Looked all over awhile back and couldnt find them anywhere! These would be fun to try...if I can find potato flakes! :)

Katerina said...

Nice and simple, ideal for an honest weekday meal. I love their color too!

Belinda said...

Me too - I love potato rolls!! They are so wonderful and filling like no other bread.

Emily Malloy said...

Oooooooooh. Yessssss. Be a good dear and send me some?? Please?!?!

Rosemary said...

I admit to being yeast challenged, but I'm willing to give these a go! I love potato rolls. To think I really might be able to make them!

thecountrycook said...

You know - I have never made a potato roll although I love them! Oh thank you so much for sharing this one. I can't wait to make it!
Brandie

Vimitha Anand said...

The Potato rolls look perfect and they would make a great breakfast...

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Well I love potato bread, so I can just imagine how wonderful these cute little rolls are!

Erin said...

Oh these look absolutely wonderful. I LOVE potato bread!!!!

alessandra said...

They look awesome!

Green Girl said...

i love potato bread but never had potato rolls using potato flakes. i have to give it a try. they look delicious. thanks for sharing Kristen

Miz Helen said...

These Potato Rolls look so good. Potato Rolls are one of my husbands favorite. Thank you so much for sharing these with Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Sandra said...

I have tried something similar to this, but yours look so much better! I love how puffy they are, mmm..would love one now for breakfast!

ravienomnoms said...

Yum potato rolls are the absolute best!

Joy said...

I am loving this recipe. It looks wonderful.

aipi said...

Perfect bake..they look plump, soft n delicious!

US Masala

Sue said...

I love potato bread and rolls, especially homemade...with butter:)

Amy Bakes Everything said...

Yummy! Those look so amazing! My mom went on rotations, too...She absolutely ruined me on chinese chicken salad!

Diethood.com said...

Oooooh I love me some potato rolls! Yours look so perfect!!

Lizzy said...

I just bet these are fluffy and soft...yum!!!

Jill Colonna said...

OMG where have I been all this time since never heard of them. They look just amazing. Will have to get making them. Merci!

chezsasha said...

Wow. These rolls look amazing. I've never heard of potato flakes...

briarrose said...

I go through my streaks of favorites as well. ;) These rolls are so cute. I love a good potato roll.

Skylar Wolfe said...

Yum, I love potato rolls!

Domestic Nerd said...

I'm the same way, I LOVE potato bread. I can't wait to try these!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.