Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Orange Bubble Bread


Sometimes, though not as often as I should, I plan meals around things on sale at the grocery store. The reason I don't has always been that I have such a large supply of food in my pantry and freezer that I make food based on what I have, not what I just bought.  I am always replenishing the food based on sales...I just don't use it immediately unless it's perishable.  
How does that relate to this bread?  Well, orange juice and refrigerator biscuits were on sale.  Separately, they would end up served as a drink and perhaps under some gravy, but together?  They became this mostly quick to throw together treat.

I made this up as I went along.  I know it's not original at all, but I didn't bother to find a recipe before I went to work in the kitchen.  I started by making a syrup with orange juice, orange rind and sugar.  After adding some butter to the finished syrup, I mixed it with the quartered biscuits and then poured the now coated pieces of biscuit into a tube pan.  It was gloppy and delicious.  All of my sons gave it two thumbs up and fought over the syrup that leaked out onto the serving plate.  


Orange Bubble Bread
1 4 pack of smaller refrigerator biscuits (of course you could use a homemade bread dough here)
2 cups orange juice
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp grated orange rind
3 Tbsp butter
In a saucepan, combine the juice, sugar and rind.  Boil over medium heat until thickened....maybe 15-20 minutes, stirring periodically.  When syrup has reduced and thickened to more of a maple syrup consistency than that of juice, remove from heat and add the butter.  Stir until the butter melts.  In the meantime, quarter each biscuit and place in a large mixing bowl.  Pour the orange syrup over the biscuits and toss to combine.  Dump the biscuits into a greased tube pan and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25-35 minutes (time depends on altitude and heat of your oven) until golden brown and puffy.  Remove from the oven and carefully turn out onto a serving plate.  You may want to turn it away from you in case the syrup splashes...it's very hot.

45 comments:

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

Do I have some drool coming out of my mouth? I am so hungry for this..WOW!

I would love for you to link in on my blog.
"Made it on Monday"

http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com

Angie A said...

yummyumm!

Belinda said...

If a bread could be funky, this would be it. Would love to have some!

Susi's Kochen und Backen said...

Nice take on bubble bread. I would have fought over the syrup too :o)

Reeni said...

What a delicious creation! The orange syrup sounds delectable!

Ryan said...

This sounds so good and a delicious change from the usual cinnamon. The orange syrup sounds wonderful! I'm a sucker for any citrus dessert. Yummy!

cozydelicious.com said...

How fun! I love how sticky this looks! Such a greta twist on teh usual cinnamon sugar pull apart bread. Yum!

Monet said...

Such a simple recipe with such a stunning result. This just goes to prove that anyone and everyone can make something special for the morning meal. Even though I have a heavy hear tonight, I find joy in reading your words and seeing your photographs. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your creativity with me. I hope you have a blessed end to your week

aipi said...

OMG what a beautiful fun cake !! A very new recipe for me :)


US Masala

Vimitha Anand said...

That is a very yummy and delightful looking cake... I am drooling over here... Would love to have the entire cake to myself...

Faith said...

Oh my gosh!! This looks so good!!! I would love some of that in the morning with coffee!

Jill Colonna said...

What great ideas you have. Bet your boys love testing out all your recipes! Your bubble cake is just glowing with that orange syrup. Sticky heaven.

Katerina said...

Not only my two thumbs but the whole hand up. It looks mouthwatering!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

I can see why your sons would fight over the sauce. I bet it was a delicious flavor!

Elisabeth said...

Such a yummy sweet breakfast treat, almost reminds me of "monkey bread" but prettier with the orange glaze.
Yumm!
Thanks for sharing:DDD

Roxan said...

What an ingenious bread! I'm not that good at grabbing things in my kitchen and throwing them together to make something new and delicious. I should just venture out and experiment more often. Maybe there will be a success or two in there!

ryann2 said...

Oh super yum....

Sue said...

Sounds sweet and refreshing! A nice spin on the cinnamon version, especially for spring and summer:)

Miz Helen said...

I need a spoon to eat this with it is so moist and gooey. It just looks delicious. I have to make this very soon. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Drick said...

I pretty much plan my meals around sales.... and you know how I love play hunt the secret ingredient in the cupboard when making up recipes, never know what I will find,,, these look and sound delish

Shelby said...

Oh how YUMMY! I love sticky gooey bready yumminess!!

Diethood.com said...

Oh my, that cake looks so goooood! Sticky and gooey... can't beat that... great recipe!

Shirley said...

That looks and sounds delicious and the best part is it doesn't look too difficult!!!

ButterYum said...

I'm on such an orange kick this week... orange juice in the mornings, orange chicken for dinner last night, oranges for a snack tonight. I'm guessing I should make this cake!!

:)
ButterYum

Prathima Rao said...

This is new to me & looks superb!!! Love the orange flavor..!! I have an award waiting for u in my blog..Do collect it :)
Prathima rao
Prats Corner

Angie said...

Oh yeah, I know what I'm taking to the church pot luck.....

Susan Lindquist said...

OMG! This is Springtime's answer to Monkey Bread! I love this Kristen!

rosy+tart said...

Oh my gosh, what a great idea! It looks so yummy too!

Joanne said...

It's like an orange-infused version of monkey bread! How could anyone resist pulling off a few of those pieces and gobbling them up.

Steph@PlainChicken.com said...

Sounds great! I will be making this!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

Love this treat, I'm a huge fan of these pull-apart breads and yours is a great take on the classic!

Joy said...

What a unique recipe.

Joanne said...

I love it! It looks great and the fact you made it up as you went along, all the better. So cool! I've got to see what other versions of bubble bread I can come up with. Good job. :)

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

I usually do one in apricot pineapple, but your orange sounds awesome. I will try it for when my aunt comes to lunch next week.

Stacey Rider said...

Oh wow - looks great! I must try this.

Renee @ MyKitchenAdventures said...

like an orange monkey bread...yum!

found you from potluck friday link! come visit me at www.mykitchenadventures1.blogspot.com

Cooking Rookie said...

Yum! What a wonderful idea!

Evan B said...

Yum! It's like an orange flavored monkey bread.. I like it :)

Lizzy said...

You nailed this one! My family loves bubble rolls and orange rolls, but I've never thought of combining the recipes. Brilliant!

happywhennothungry.com said...

This looks delicious! This is like Monkey Bread except I love how you added the orange flavors. Yum!

Free Spirit Eater said...

i don't think i've ever wanted to bite into anything so bad and imagine the lovely texture i would feel. wonderful job =]

E said...

I'm sure your family devoured that. I know I would :)

Ann Kroeker said...

I love how creative you are! Thanks for inspiring me to think outside the box!

Tiffany said...

Sun shiny and sweet! I love this recipe!

Lark (SparkyLarky) said...

Hi! Congrats....you made my TOP 3 pick on Made it on Monday :)

Please get in contact with me , this was a "prize" week, so you get a goodie!

Dont forget to grab a "I was featured on Made it on Monday " Button.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.