Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Maple Pecan Breakfast Ring

Once you start on a yeast adventure, you never know what heights you may reach.  This is definitely one of the prettier pieces I have made.  It was mighty tasty, too.  It was inspired by a photo I saw in a Better Homes and Gardens publication, but I used a dough recipe from a vintage cookbook.  I ended up frosting it with a maple flavored glaze, too.  
The fun pan I baked it in was a tin creamer, circa 1880.  
In order to keep the circle in the center of the pan, I inverted a ramekin in the middle when I put the shaped dough in to rise before baking.  I left the ramekin in while this baked and then removed it immediately when the breakfast ring was done.
Basic Sweet Dough (this one is a keeper....so versatile!)(from Farm Journal's Country Cookbook 1959)
1 cups milk
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 package yeast (2 1/2 tsp)
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg, slightly beaten
4-5 cups flour
Maple Pecan Breakfast Ring 
Basic Sweet Dough
Filling
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp maple flavoring
Glaze
2 Tbsp softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp maple flavor
Enough water or milk to achieve desired consisitency
In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the milk, butter, sugar and salt until the butter is just about all melted.  Stir to melt the rest of the butter.  Cool slightly.  In a mixing bowl, combine the warm water and yeast until bubbly.  Add the egg to the milk mixture and then add to the yeast.  Either with a dough hook attachment on a heavy duty mixer or with brute strength of your arm and spoon, add the flour and knead 5-10 minutes (on a floured surface if doing by hand).  Cover in a bowl and let rise one hour until doubled.  
For Maple Pecan Breakfast Ring: 
Punch down and roll out to a large rectangle (20 inches long).  Spread softened butter all over to edges.  Combine remaining filling ingredients and sprinkle evenly all over.  Roll up, jelly roll style.  Cut roll in half lengthwise and turn the cut sides up, next to each other.  Prepare large round pan (if nothing else, a springform would work) and grease the outside a ramekin, too.  Place the ramekin in the center of the round pan.  Twist the two halves of the cut dough and gently pick it up and place it in the prepared pan to form a ring.  Pinch the ends together.  Cover and let rise 30 minutes.  Bake in a 375 preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown (remember ovens vary).  Remove from oven and let cool in pan.  Make glaze by stirring softened butter into powdered sugar (I use the back of a spoon to really mix it).  Combine the flavorings and a little water (to keep color uniform and prevent brown streaks in the glaze) and add to the sugar/butter mixture.  Stir until smooth.  Add more water if necessary until you get the consistency you like.  Pour glaze over the top.  Serve warm or at room temperature.




44 comments:

Belinda said...

I love the pan - how neat!! I love breakfasts like this - could eat it all day!

Deeba PAB said...

Love the way you made the bread...it's gorgeous!

Lyndsey said...

This is a beautiful bread. I like the golden brown ridges, stuffed with pecan goodness!

LDH said...

Oh, this is a beautiful yeast bread! Looks delicious!

Vimitha Anand said...

Delicious looking breakfast... I would complete the entire ring in one sitting... How did you make those lovely rings...

Susi said...

Great looking breakfast ring. I bet it smelled divine while baking and would be such a wonderful treat to wake up to :o)

The Country Cook said...

Kristen - that is beautiful!! Love your pictures of it and it certainly sounds amazing!!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Kristen! Absolutely beautiful! We'll be over for breakfast...darn, just remembered we're a few states away :(

Prathima Rao said...

These look gorgeous Kristen!!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Katerina said...

I am inviting myself dor breakfast! Looks delicious Kristen!

jived3 said...

This looks fantastic! Can I pay you to make this for me and mail it to me?? :)

briarrose said...

Amazing job on this...the shape is just lovely. Mmmm...maple flavoring....yummy!

alessandra said...

It's beautiful, and I can imagine its yummyness.

Reeni said...

What a gorgeous breakfast ring! The filling looks scrumptious! And I love your pan.

gingerbreadcake said...

What a beautiful breakfast ring! The maple pecan filling sounds amazing. :)

Monet said...

What a beautiful ring! I haven't seen one like this before...I know what I'm doing over the weekend! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe. I'm hungry now! I hope you have a blessed and peaceful day tomorrow. Hugs from Austin!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Gorgous! You are such an impressive baker. :)

Amanda said...

Oh my, I could look at this all day, I'm terrible when it comes to baking anything more complex than cup cakes! But I shall definately be thrusting the laptap under hubbys nose when he walks in the door, insisting he makes this immediately! It just looks so yummy, and the pan is wonderful, thanks for sharing.

Faith said...

This is so pretty, and I bet smells wonderful when baking...I saw a comment you made on Deep Dish South about bubble and squeak...what is it...please do tell. Thanks.

Joanne said...

Oh my lord could this GET any more beautiful? I doubt it. I want to go to YOUR place for breakfast!

Emily Malloy said...

This looks TO DIE FOR.

Elizabeth said...

oh wow... I am seriously envious of your bread baking skills! Looks amazing! I love the vintage pan!

Amelia@SavoryandSweet said...

This is beautiful!! I'm kind of scared of yeast but you make it sound so easy I might have to give it a try. :)

danasfoodforthought said...

This is so pretty! It is the perfect thing to bring to a friend's brunch... or just to eat yourself lol

Erin said...

That looks absolutely amazing! What a fantastic treat for breakfast!!!

Miz Helen said...

This is so beautiful. Almost to pretty to eat. What a wonderful treat to serve your family and guest. Thank you so much for sharing on Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Boy, I would love this for breakfast! Thanks!

Food Gal said...

This is worth rolling out of bed early for! Love the ripples of sweet filling that peek through, too.

suzanne said...

The basic dough seems perfect and I love the filling!
iza:)

Cyndi said...

I love that you used a vintage recipe and vintage pan. The bread looks beautiful!

Lizzy said...

What a gorgeous bread!!! I love this technique...and I know it was as delicious as it was lovely!

Magic of Spice said...

That is so cool! Gorgeous and I am sure delicious :)

Tiffany said...

This is so beautiful! And looks tasty too!

Pauline said...

We used to get this with a icing sugar glade on top, love it!

Sandra said...

I would love to have this every day for breakfast! Looks and sounds really tasty!

E said...

Yum... I love anything made with yeast and cover with maple!

mywanderingspoon said...

I could tell then this wonderful pastry is made with love and passion for baking:)

Salome said...

Amazing! I'm going to make this bread...

Mary said...

This sounds and looks superb!! Can't wait to try this baby out!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Joy said...

That looks just lovely.

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

This is too gorgeous to eat! Sounds too awesome not to though!

21st Century Housewife© said...

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe with Let's Do Brunch, Kristen! I hope you will come along and link up again today :)

Olguichi1970 said...

´What a delicious and yummmy recipe!!!You've got such a beautifull blog....and a new member! Kisses from Spain

Michael said...

I love your sweet roll shaping. Very innovative. I wish you would show some crumb so we could judge the most important thing, the texture.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.