Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chimichangas with Green Chile

This dinner for one would have probably cost a minimum of $13.99 here in my little Arizona town.  Multiply that times the 7 people in my family and I could have spent over $100 with tip and tax in a restaurant.  Instead, using leftover meat and rice from the freezer,  home canned salsa and homemade refried beans, the entire, huge meal cost a total of just $13.99.  Not bad, eh?

Have you made chimis before?  If not, here is a basic run down.  Take shredded beef, chicken or pork and mix it with a little salsa....just to moisten it, not to overpower it.  Place a few tablespoons of the meat on a flour tortilla, fold the ends in and roll.  You will want to use a larger tortilla for these.  The little ones make tiny chimichangas. (If your tortillas crack as you fold them, heat them in a microwave for a few seconds between moist paper towels to soften)  Heat some oil in a deep skillet and fry them on all sides until brown and crisp.  Remove to a wire rack over a cookie sheet and keep in the oven on warm while you cook up the rest.  Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce with sour cream or guacamole and maybe a side of Fiesta Rice.  Top with green chile...which isn't spicy, just delicious.

Green Chile (adapted from Best Places Seattle Cookbook)
(makes enough for at least two meals, so plan to freeze the extra or serve an army)
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes (optional)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large onions, chopped
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed and chopped
2 poblano chiles, cored, seeded and chIopped (these are really mild peppers!)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
In a large Dutch oven, brown the meat in the 1/4 cup olive oil (you may have to do this in batches).  Remove the meat and set aside to keep warm.  In the same skillet, saute the onions, garlic, tomatillos and chiles with the cumin in the remaining oil.  When the vegetables are soft (10 minutes later), add the meat back into the pan along with the remaining ingredients.  Scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate the fond and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes, uncovered, until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.  The meat is totally optional here.  You can make the green chile without any at all and it will still be delicious.  Cut the olive oil down to 1/4 cup for just the veggie version.

29 comments:

Ann said...

Great recipe. They look wonderful. What a savings!

Martha said...

And you spelled it with an "e"!!!
:)

Faith said...

Yum!!!I love chimis!!! What a great savings too!!!

Sue said...

I've never made them, but have had them~very tasty! Your dinner looks like it should be served in a restaurant!

Drick said...

now that is fine eating... would pay 13.99 a plate myself -
hey, what this of the move? Floridian girl? Southern pimento cheese? next you'll be asking for fish & grits....LOL I want to hear all about it, maybe I missed it, will have to go back and make sure....

Belinda said...

Yum. LOVE green chilis...what a perfect, filling, and economical meal.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those look good. We love mexican around here :)

Emily in the Kitchen said...

Chimichangas is one of my family favorite meals- and so easy to make at home!

Humble Homemaker said...

Wow! That looks so delicious. :) So fancy too... not sure if I could make that, but I might have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
Humble Homemaking
p.s. Feel free to hook up to the Weekend Review Party this weekend at Humble Homemaking!

danasfoodforthought said...

Wow I can'e believe you fed your whole family for just 13.99... I can't even feed myself for that LOL! These look great!

Diethood.com said...

I have yet to make chimis at home. Thank you for the recipe... it's definitely something I would love to try! That plate looks fantabulous!

Prathima Rao said...

I have never tried this at home but had once at a restaurant & loved it..Urs looks even better than the one i had...:) Sure to give it a go..!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Vimitha Anand said...

That looks so restauranty and you have turned them out to be great...

The Country Cook said...

I absolutely love chimichangas. It's my go-to meal when I eat out at a Mexican restaurant. Love it!
I really need to make it at home. It sounds so easy and it looks good. I'm a sucker for a good green chile sauce too.

Lyndsey said...

I like that you saved so much making it yourself. It's that way with seafood dinners too. I have made several Mexican dishes, but haven't made chimis before. This sounds so good, my husband would love it.

Magic of Spice said...

I will have to hide this from my kids...they love chimichangas :) They look perfect!

Tiffanee said...

I am so loving this. I really want one right now. Chimis are my favorite.

Katerina said...

Yes, you have to improvise when you have a multimember family Kristen. It is outrageous the amount required to go out to eat these days! They look great to me.

Vimitha Anand said...

Hi dear,
You have an award waiting in my blog... Pls collect it..

Joanne said...

I love when I can make something cheaper and better at home than you can get at a restaurant. As for mexican food, that is almost always the case. I love the sound of this dish! Each component is delicious.

SARAPLICIOUS! said...

It maybe be cheaper than the restaurant version but I'm sure it tasted 10x better. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

alice said...

I wonder it this would work with Quorn or Tofu? We are a vegetarian family, but I really love the flavours going into this and would love to give it a go sometime. Bookmarked!

Martha (MM) said...

Mmm, yummy!
Have a great weekend :-)

Chef Dennis said...

hi Kristen

I love chimichanga's, not only are they delicious, but there so muchfun to say! I love your version of this wonderful dish, and I could certainly eat a plateful right now.
don't forget the beans and rice!

Dennis

Ang said...

I have been on a Mexican food kick lately! And surprisingly, I haven't made chimichanga's before. Sad, I know. I have no excuse now:)

Lizzy said...

I now have a huge craving for Mexican food...your plate looks delicious!

Gayle Martin said...

Yum! Having grown up in Arizona I learned to love Mexican food at a young age. I've not tried making chimichangas at home, but yours sure bring back memories of a (now long gone) Phoenix restaurant called, Wille and Guermos. They had incredible chimichangas.

briarrose said...

Wonderful dinner and a great savings.

The Mom Chef said...

Yea, this looks fantastic. I can do this any day but i just don't think of it. I will now! Thanks.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.