Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Greek Style Potato Stew

Here is another recipe that has been gathering dust, so to speak, in my bookmark file.  Published March 2010 at Hallee the Homemaker's blog, this recipe sounded like something my family would love.  Not only that, it sounded super simple, too; perfect for a busy week night meal.
The original recipe was meatless.  I heartied is up a bit by adding some leftover cooked chicken and a can of chicken broth.  I substituted black olives for the kalamatas because I am the only one in the family who likes the stronger flavored olives.  Other than that, I followed the recipe pretty closely.  It was super.
Greek Style Potato Stew (adapted from Hallee the Homemaker)
2-3 pounds of potatoes (more or less), peeled and cubed
4 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
4 green onions, chopped
1 can whole black olives
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and add the potatoes, garlic and green onions.  When the garlic is soft and fragrant, add the remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook until potatoes are tender.  Stir occasionally to prevent sticking (burning).  

Now it's your turn.  Please remember to link directly to a recipe, not your entire blog and link back to this post ( you can grab a button for this party over on the right sidebar).  



24 comments:

LDH said...

This sounds so good! I love stew :)

Sweet post about your son. A handsome young man he is!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a perfect weeknight meal. Simple, tasty, filling. I have so many recipes bookmarked that I haven't tried - you've inspired me to go through them and do at least 1 this week!

Marie said...

This looks really good--and easy, which I love... :) Thanks for sharing!

Jill Colonna said...

Looks a delicious and healthy stew. Thanks for the inspiration since looking for something different to serve the children. Speaking of which, lovely post about your boy. He certainly is going to be tall! Must be the lovely food Mum serves ;-)

Katerina said...

They look delicious Kristen. Certainly a meal every family would appreciate!

Lizzy said...

Oh, gosh, this sounds wonderful. So different than any stew I make, but simple and flavorful! Thanks for sharing~

Susan Lindquist said...

Yum! A good stew for cold weather that just won't give up! I tried sharing my Nutella find from Kay's site at The Church Cook ... hope I linked everything up correctly! Thanks for doing this blogshare, Kristin!

Raw_Girl said...

Nice hearty stew! Thanks for sharing

Mateja ^_^ said...

Simple but hearty, tasty bowl of stew! I love the addition of olives. Thank you for sharing :)

Angie said...

What a great sounding recipe. I love Mediterranean food, and visiting Greece is on my bucket list. I will definitely be trying this one.

Carolyn said...

Looks great, a wonderful, hearty winter meal.

thecountrycook said...

It's nice to see a new twist on a classic stew. I love it!!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

This sounds delightful! We've been eating a lot of stew lately--it's s comforting and warming.

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

I love that you made a meatier version of this stew! That already makes it a winner in my house, especially during the winter! :)

Mary at Deep South Dish said...

Sounds good and hearty indeed! Love the addition of the chicken and the pretty bowl you used.

LookyTasty said...

Great recipe for my crockpot! Thanks for sharing!

mywanderingspoon said...

Love it, in Serbia we called it djuvec....great winter meal:)

happywhennothungry said...

This looks so delicious! I love all the flavors too!

Michael Toa said...

What a great hearty and comforting winter meal. Love black olives. Well, I love olives full stop.

Drick said...

this does look simple, easy and yes, glad you added the chicken...

Ms. F said...

I really like what you've done with the recipe, its a great stew now. The tomatoes and olives (which of course make it Greek) seriously liven it up because you can really only eat chicken noodle soup so many times in your life! I'll be trying this one soon.

Joanne said...

I adore Greek flavors and am a HUGE kalamata fan! What a great stew.

whatsfordinner-acrossstatelines said...

Very good dish, like how you added chicken. This is great for a weeknight.
-Gina-

Joanne said...

One of the best warming meals: stew or, as it was referred to in the crossword puzzle the other week Burgoo (of something like that?).
I love the potatoes and veggies. Great recipe.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.