Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ranch House Bacon and Egg Cups

Things are a little out of schedule this week because I am in the middle of a little project for Foodbuzz.  Today is this week's bread post.  There will not be a cookbook review.


I wanted to make a breakfast sandwich the could be made, crust and all, in a muffin tin; sort of a breakfast-on-the-go. I decided to base my recipe on the idea of a kolache; a rich, sweet dough with a savory filling. It didn't really turn out like a kolache, though, hence the name.  I have two versions for you, one using frozen bread dough and one using the aforementioned rich dough.  That way, if you don't want to bother with the homemade bread, you can still enjoy this amazing breakfast.

Ranch House Bacon and Egg Muffins(makes 12 cups)
1 package frozen rolls
6 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Spicy Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with vegetable spray. Break six rolls in half and place a piece in the bottom of each cup. Flatten it to fit on the bottom of the muffin cup like a crust.  In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and dressing mix. Divide the bacon evenly between each cup. Pour the egg mixture into each cup. Top with cheese. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until egg is set. Serve warm.

For Homemade Ranch Rolls:
7 ½-8 cups flour
1 Tbsp Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 Tbsp yeast
2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
¼ cup sugar
1 stick butter
½ cup warm water
2 eggs, slightly beaten
In a microwavable bowl, heat the milk and butter until the butter melts. Add the sugar and salt to the
milk mixture and let it cool slightly. In a large mixing bowl, combine the water and yeast. When the yeast is proofed, add the milk mixture and the eggs. Add the flour and dressing mix to the bowl and mix with a dough hook attachment until a smooth, soft dough is formed. Cover and let rise one hour on the counter or you can put this in the refrigerator for a slow rise if you plan to use it more than an hour later. This can be made into regular dinner rolls, bake in greased pans at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. If you are using the dough in the above recipe, break off golf ball sized pieces and put them in the bottom of the muffin tins. Bake any remaining dough into dinner rolls.

The Ranch rolls didn't last long enough for a photo shoot.  They are amazing.   In fact the entire recipe, with the eggs and bacon was so delicious, it's going into the regular rotation of breakfasts.

25 comments:

Diethood.com said...

Those ranch rolls do sound amazing - I don't blame you for finishing them off. Great recipe!

briarrose said...

Yummy in a neat little package.

E said...

Those ranch house bacon and egg muffins are great! I'm always looking for a way to use up some of our fresh eggs. Thanks!

thecountrycook said...

I really like the sound of these. My son loves bacon and eggs. These would be great to make ahead of time, pop them in the freezer and then have them ready for him before school in the morning. Thank you for sharing!! :) Brandie

Jennifurla said...

This looks wonderful, perfect for breakfast or dinner.

Tiffanee said...

Yum. These look amazing. Funny because my post today also has bread, bacon and ranch. We are so on the same page. I am making these for my family soon. Thanks.

Lizzy said...

Wow, those muffins sound fabulous! What a yummy breakfast treat~

egbkid said...

These look amazing, i love quick breakfasts like this, thanks for sharing!!

Emily Malloy said...

Yum! Looks so good and so simple!

happywhennothungry.com said...

My hubby would def love these! Thanks for sharing!

Michael Toa said...

I love savory muffins. These look delicious. Great for the morning.

Katerina said...

There is no better proof that your recipe was a success than empty plates. Your muffins look mouthwatering.

ryann5-egads said...

That really does sound like a great breakfast to add to the rotation! I wonder what the reaction to the ranch would be at my house? I guess I'll find out soon! :)

Sue said...

You are so creative, Kristen! These look so good, like bacon and egg muffins:) I think the grandkids will love them(me too)!

Mateja ^_^ said...

Lovely egg cups! Would never pop into my mind to put Ranch Mix into the dough! Wonderful idea and so tasty! Thank you for sharing :)

Magic of Spice said...

These are wonderful and the rolls sound fantastic as well :)

Kim Kelly said...

I love these breakfast ideas on the go. Perfect for a busy morning. I've seen a couple of recipes, but this one is really tempting me! Thanks!

Shelby said...

I love the sound of the spicy ranch! I like to have grab and go breakfasts myself. I don't like to eat early in the morning so taking breakfast to lunch works best for me!

Hyosun Ro said...

Nice idea! Looks delicious!

Amy Bakes Everything said...

This is so brilliant! Perfect for overnight guests easy breakfast! Great job!

Mom said...

These look awesome! Great job :)

Megan said...

These little cups look like a perfect grab and go kind of breakfast on a busy school day. With ranch seasoning, I know the kids will love them!

ravienomnoms said...

What a cute idea, it looks so simple to make!

Erin said...

I wish I had a couple of these right now. They look soooo good!

The Mom Chef said...

They look fantastic. I love it when a recipe ends up so good that I have to fight to get a picture in before it's all eaten. Thanks for sharing this.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.