Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal...Bread!


There I was, getting ready to bake another bread recipe from Martha Day's Complete Baking.   I thumbed through the recipes and decided to make the Oatmeal bread.  It wasn't very exciting to me, but it sounded hearty.  Oatmeal is a great addition to bread with it's nutty chewiness.  Then, as I was getting the yeast and butter out of the fridge, I saw the remnants of the brown sugar/cinnamon/butter concoction I had made for my Cinnamon Roll Pancakes.  Mmm, I thought, how could I incorporate that in a bread?  A light bulb went on in my head.  My children's favorite instant oatmeal flavor is Maple and Brown Sugar.  Could I possibly make a bread that tasted like the cereal?  I'd never know unless I tried.

I took the basic structure of Martha Day's recipe for Oatmeal bread as my guide and then embellished it with a few extras, like eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, maple flavoring and a swirl of brown sugar.  I made two loaves.  One with the swirl and one without.  The loaf sans swirl is very reminiscent of the store bought instant oatmeal without being overly sweet.  The other loaf, the sweet loaf, is sweet and, well, pretty amazing. (I just used the word sweet three times within nine words....I guess I am pretty excited about this bread)

I apologize in advance for the weird flour and oatmeal measurements.  I took those directly from Martha's British book, using my kitchen scale.  I didn't even look to see how many cups I used.  Which brings me to a question I had.  How many changes do you feel have to be made to a recipe before you can call it your own? I changed or added seven things in this recipe.  Is it still Martha Day's or is it now mine?  What is your opinion on this recipe tweaking we all do?

Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal Bread
2 cups milk
2 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp pure maple syrup (original recipe called for 2 ounces brown sugar)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp maple flavoring or extract (my addition)
1 tsp vanilla (my addition)
2 eggs, beaten (my addition)
1/4 cup warm water
1 Tbsp instant yeast
13 ounces old fashioned rolled oats
1 pound 8 ounces flour
3/4 cup brown sugar (my addition)
2 tsp cinnamon (my addition)
1/4 cup melted butter (my addition)
Place the milk, butter, maple syrup and salt in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 1 minute at a time until the butter is melted.  Let cool slightly and add flavorings.  Combine the yeast and 1/4 cup of warm water in a separate, smaller bowl.  Pour the milk mixture into a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and then the yeast mixture.  Add the flour and oatmeal and mix with a dough hook, adding additional flour if necessary to form a soft dough.  Cover and let rise 1 hour.  Turn the dough out on to a floured counter and roll into a large rectangle.  Remember that you are going to be making two loaves, so the rectangle should be roughly the length of two bread pans.  Spread the dough with the butter and then sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon.  Roll up, like cinnamon rolls and then cut in half, forming two loaves.  Place in greased pans, cover and let rise another 45 minutes.  Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when knocked on.  Let cool on a wire rack.  Slice after cooling, if you can wait that long.


54 comments:

Alison said...

This recipe looks super yummy..I bet my kids would gobble that up faster than I could make more..and going out on a limb here but I say it is your recipe now. Just my opinion

LDH said...

Sounds heavenly to me! :)

aipi said...

Surely delicious! A healthy treat…

US Masala

Dani said...

I don't have an official answer, but with 7 major changes I would think you could call the recipe your own. Looks yummy and I'm totally snagging this!

The Better Baker said...

I believe the rule of thumb is 3 changes - one major and two minor. I think you 'over' qualify! *-* How creative - I could just smell it looking at your beautiful pictures!! MMM!

Jacqueline said...

This looks so yummy. I am such a sucker for homemade bread. If I had this coming out of the oven right now, I would eat half the loaf - no kidding - I can't stop and this looks fabulous.

Belinda said...

This is the most perfect breakfast!

Marie said...

I would imagine it's now yours, but think that Martha Day would appreciate the acknowledgement of her original recipe, since that's how it all started...I'm amazed at how many bread recipes you come up with, and this one looks delicious!

Anna C said...

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in tweaking recipes. Your changes really paid off. The bread looks delicious. Love the swirl effect.

Anna's Table

briarrose said...

Ooooo.....great addition with the swirl. It looks delicious.

Drick said...

I just love it when your bulb shines bright... wonderful recipe, cinnamon bread is by far my favorite for breakfast and I know this would be good anytime

Jennifurla said...

Perfect swirl, looks delish and I know it would smell terrific

Roxan said...

On, YUM! I could totally eat this for breakfast, it looks amazing. Love the addition of maple syrup and brown sugar. I bet it smelled amazing as it baked.

You know, I have no idea at what point you can call a recipe your own. I have wondered that myself.

Monet said...

I think you can call this your own...I love how you used up some of your extras to create such a sweet and hearty loaf. These slices look just delicious, my friend. I hope you are warm and happy on this cold winter night. Sweet dreams and many blessings!

Magic of Spice said...

It's your recipe now for sure :) And looks delightful!

Cait said...

great recipie that looks as good as im sure it tastes!

Katerina said...

I believe that with 7 changes you can say that you only inspired by the original one. It is yours all the way and sounds very interesting. I wonder what my son would say after eating this beautiful loaf.

Prathima Rao said...

Kids & adults both would equally enjoy this...These looks soo.. perfect!!! Wish it could be home delivered this instant!!!

Scribblingzzz.. said...

Looks delicious... :)

It's a Keeper said...

HI! I'm hosting a link up this week -- It's a Keeper Thursdays! I hope you can come over and link up!

Thanks!
It's a Keeper
http://www.everydaytastes.com/
http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

Elizabeth said...

YUM! I must make this soon! About the recipe question, I would say it's yours, but even when I make lots of changes I always credit the original creator if I am inspired by something but I will just use "inspired by" or "adapted from" or something along those lines... just my opinion :)

danasfoodforthought said...

This is really a beautiful looking bread! I bet the whole house smelled delicious while it was baking!

SnoWhite said...

Wow!! This bread looks amazing. I bet it was delicious. I love the use of maple, and oats.

As for the recipes, I love acknowledging where the inspiration came from, as you did.

Julie said...

I can't wait to try this. I LOVE cinnamon swirl bread and this looks absolutely delicious! I am a new follower and would love for you to follow me back at thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com. Thanks!

KT @ KT's Refinishing School said...

That looks delicious!

I have been making muffins of all different sorts every week for a while now but next week I might have to switch to this bread instead to mix thing up a bit :)

Thanks for sharing!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

That's the best looking dish I've seen all day! I think I could eat the whole loaf in one sitting!

thecountrycook said...

This one is calling my name!!

Debbie said...

I love a warm toast of bread on days that are this cold! This bread would be a perfectly sweet way to start the day off too!

Donna said...

oh goodness! The title alone brought near tears to my eyes....it's all of my favorite things rolled into one! I can not WAIT to make this!! THANKS for sharing!

Sue said...

Oh boy, Kristen, this looks delicious, and so pretty too!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Kristen,
This Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Bread looks so warm and cozy. In this cold weather that is just what we need. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

gingerbreadcake said...

What an incredible idea! I just adore how you added a maple and brown sugar swirl to the oatmeal bread. It sounds and looks soooo good. YUM! :)

gingerbreadcake said...

What an incredible idea! I just adore how you added a maple and brown sugar swirl to the oatmeal bread. It sounds and looks soooo good. YUM! :)

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This looks great, and the swirl totally makes the bread- at least for pictures anyway. I always wonder about at what point you can call a recipe your own too.. I'd say you should be good to go after adding 7 things!

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

I love this idea! I always have cinnamon oatmeal, but having it in bread form sounds perfect!

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

I think this would make wonderful french toast.

Miriam said...

You've got such great ideas! I bet this is fabulous right out of the oven with butter and a glass of milk (at least, that's what I'm dreaming of right now :). Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Ms. F said...

Your bread looks wonderful, especially because of the brown sugar concoction. I can't really give a definitive answer about what makes a recipe your own. I tend to read a number of them, pick two I think will work and combine them with my own ideas. At that point, I think it's mine because it rarely looks like either original. I should think that after 7 changes the recipes is yours, sometimes I'll write that I have been influenced by something if I feel like it's not really changed enough.

Stephanie said...

This sounds delicious and I love the way the swirl looks. Awesome bread!

thecoffeebreak said...

Your bread looks very appetizing .I wouldn't mind to have some with my coffee right now ;)

Katrina said...

What a great adaptation! Awesome!! Sending some buzz your way :)

Lizzy said...

Wow, what an incredible bread!!! So beautiful...and full of sweet goodness! Brava!!!

Jill Colonna said...

What a wonderful idea! So pretty to look at too.

Susan Lindquist said...

This is such beautiful bread! What a nice take on sweet bread ... a definite step up from conventional cinnamon swirl bread!

happywhennothungry said...

This bread looks delicious! I've heard that 3 is the magic number when it comes to claiming a recipe as your own. I definitely think this is your recipe!!

Claire Gallam said...

This bread looks delicious! I love swirled bread, but have never had it swirled with maple and brown sugar! It's like the oatmeal variety, but better!

mywanderingspoon said...

I absolutely have to try this recipe, great job:)

Melynda said...

Stopping by from Full Plate Thursday to say hello! Maple, did I hear that word? Yum.

C&C Cakery said...

That swirl really got me - it's perfect! I'm sure you added a lot of depth and taste to Martha's recipe. Especially the maple flavouring :) I can't wait to try this recipe out! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda said...

Wow that looks really good! What a great swirl!

Karen the Savvy Suburbanite said...

This looks so tasty! I would like it with a cup of tea! If you have any warm drink recipes, come link them up to my warm drinks and good reads party! http://goodbyecityhellosuburbs.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

Genius!

J-Lee said...

I made this bread last week and it was a hit! My 3 year old daughter calls it "Sticky Bread". I tweaked your recipe a bit by making adjustments for whole wheat flour and it worked out really well!

Jackie said...

I made this bread this morning and it turned out beautifully. However in your instructions you do not say to add the vanilla and maple flavorings to the milk, egg, syrup mixture after you've heated it up. Some people may not catch it or even know what to do with it.
Love your web site and recipes.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.