Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cookbook Review: Good Stuff

The Good Stuff Cookbook: Burgers, fries, shakes, wedges, and more

What do you get when you cross fast food with the farmer's market? You get the recipes in Spike Mendelsohn's cookbook, Good Stuff. Based on the food he serves in his eatery of the same name, he takes good old hamburgers and french fries to an entirely new level. Some of you may recognize he name as one of the contestants on the Top Chef television program. He opened his Washington DC restaurant in 2008.

At first glance, his menu looks like the normal fare. You can get a burger and fries with a milkshake for dessert at his place. Upon closer examination, however, you will notice that these recipes are not what you might have expected. You won't see a Tamarind-glazed pork buterger with red cabbage slaw and grilled pineapple at your local greasy spoon. Nor will you find zucchini fritters or a wedge salad with fennel, orange and pomegranate.

I had a ball reading through these delightful recipes. My family is big on homemade milkshakes, so I loved the chapter on shakes. The idea of a Milky Way malt, Creamsicle shake or Mint oreo shake sounded like items we would definitely love. I am not too sure how the Avocado variation would fly, though.

Ever wanted to make your own gourmet mayonnaise? Well, there is an entire chapter devoted to them. Balsamic, Old Bay, Mango, Curry, you name it and Spike Mendelsohn has a spread like it.

If you have wanted to stop eating out, but don't want to give up some of your favorite restaurant fare, this is the book for you. The author takes you through a step by step process to make french fries, onion petals and over twenty kinds of burgers. You won't miss your neighborhood eatery with this book in hand. You may even find that making it at home tastes better.

(I received no compensation for this review and all opinions are mine)

19 comments:

Island Vittles said...

That book is right up my alley! Street food/diner food made from local seasonal stuff. Awesome...Theresa

Faith said...

Mmmm I was drooling over the mint oreo milkshake! YUM!

~ Lyndsay The Kitchen Witch said...

Thank you for this. Spike's cook book really appeals to me - I'm especially intrigued by the chapter on mayonnaise.

thecountrycook said...

This definitely sounds like my kinda book!!

Lizzy said...

Uh, oh...another cookbook to put on my wish list!

Susi said...

This sounds like a great read. I will be checking this one out at my library. Those milk shakes and gourmet mayos sound delicious!

Katrina said...

It's nice to have cookbook reviews especialy now since recipes are so readily available everywhere. This looks like a good buy.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) You won't be disappointed if you make the sugar cookie bars. I think they are even better 3 days later - we're still munching on them over here! Feel free to stop by my Facebook page and post a pic if you end up making them!

HomeBakedGoodness said...

That sounds like a really awesome cookbook! I might have to pick this one up. :) Thanks for sharing!

Mateja ^_^ said...

Your review is so colorful, it make me wanna buy this book realy bad! Thank you for sharing, I think the chapter about making mayo is already my favorite! Have a nice day :)

Diethood.com said...

Are you part of his PR team? ;-)) Great review!

Susan Lindquist said...

Sounds like a fun and quirky read! I, too, am intrigues by the chapter on mayos!

cake said...

This sounds like a very different cook book...not one of the regular ones i have. I will check it out at the bookstore....
-abeer@www.cakewhiz.com

jived3 said...

With a review like that, you SHOULD be compensated ;). Great writing.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This sounds like an interesting cookbook. I love getting cookbooks from the library. The only problem is that I end up wanting to buy too many of them :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I definitely want to try my hand at making my own mayo someday. Spike wasn't my favorite during his Top Chef season but I do like the idea of fast food crossed with farmers market. Good review.

Magic of Spice said...

Nice review, sounds like a interesting book :)

boulderlocavore said...

I've been curious about this book, thanks for the personal opinions. I always liked him on Top Chef. Seemed to fit his name; fiesty and inspired with his food.

TheChocolatePriestess said...

Did you try any recipes from the book?

Kita said...

I probably would have never even flipped through this book because I don't really care for Spikes television persona but after reading your review I may have to give it a shot. I would like to know if you ave tried any of these recipes or not though?
Thanks
Kita

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.