Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Caramel Bars

I am going to warn you right now.  These bars should be cut really, really small.  You can always go back for seconds, but they are really, really rich.
 The first thing that my sons ask when they come in the house after school is "What's for dinner?" followed almost in the same breath with, "What's for dessert?"  They are pretty good about accepting any dessert.  If I say we are having the rest of the cake I served the night before, that's okay.  If I say, "Nothing" then the mutiny begins.  They start suggesting things.  "Don't we have any store bought cookies?"  "Is there any ice cream?"  "Didn't you freeze some cookies last week?"  "I need, I need, I need, gimme, gimme, gimme!"
 There was no such scene when I whipped these lovelies out of the fridge.  Instead, my fourteen year old said in his deepening voice, "Oh Ho Ho!"  My eleven year old said, "Sweet!  I get the biggest piece."  The rest of the gang settled in to finish their dinner so dessert could be served sooner.
 These are incredibly simple to make.  I adapted the recipe from  Taste of Home's Cake Mix Creations.  Although I really like to make things all the way from scratch most of the time, there are days when a mix sure helps things along.

Caramel Bars
1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 package milk chocolate chips
32 caramels
1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 stick butter
In a heavy saucepan, combine the butter, sweetened condensed milk and caramels over medium low heat.  Stir until the caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth.  Remove from heat and let cool.  In a mixing bowl, beat the cake mix with the eggs and oil.  Add the chocolate chips (you can use any other flavor you want or combination or nuts, too).  Press three fourths of the mixture into a greased 9X13 pan.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.  Spread with caramel sauce.  Top with spoonfuls of remaining cake mixture.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool 15 minutes, cut and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.  Keep leftovers in the fridge.  


36 comments:

21st Century Housewife© said...

Oh, these do sound lovely! Caramel is a big favourite in our house and these will be too!

Lizzy said...

My kiddos would love these...and I always swoon when desserts involve caramel!!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

They look so chewy and sweet! My kind of dessert! :)

aipi said...

Whoo..those look positively sinful. My hubby will definitely devour these :)

US Masala

thecountrycook said...

I always love when a recipe starts off with a boxed cake mix!! These look delicious!
Brandie

Vimitha Anand said...

OMG they look rich and adorable. Your kids would have enjoyed it...

The Better Baker said...

Mercy! My mouth is definitely watering looking over your beautiful pictures. This is right up my alley when it comes to flavor combinations - and sooo easy! Thanks....and enjoy a great weekend.

Tiffanee said...

YUM!! I sm still drooling! My kids and I would love this. Thanks!!

A Joyful Noise said...

Simple and tasty too! They look scrumptious! I have everything except the caramels, so will pick some up on my next shopping trip.

Katerina said...

I guess all children are the same. My son asks the exact same two questions when he returns from school and dusring the weekends. If I made these bars I would make him very happy!

egbkid said...

They look very sweet, and delcious! I love caramel, i ill have to give these a try; thanks for sharing!!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Wow! These look so good. I love doctored cake mix recipes!

Joanne said...

Ah kids. Can't live with em, can't live without em. I love love love caramel so I would be quite happy to have these in my kitchen. In fact, I might even skip dinner just to eat more of these.

Deeba PAB said...

Right, these are seriously wicked bites=YUMMMM!! I'd love to try these.

Roxan said...

"I need I need I need gimme gimme gimme" Now I really can't wait to have kids! ;]
But if I get to make delicious treats like this for them, then maybe it isn't so bad, right? I had a huge dinner last night and I'm still full, but I think I could squeeze a couple of these caramel bars into my stomach.

Emily Malloy said...

I want some.

Gimme now.


:)

Nisa Homey said...

These looks wickedly yum!!

Erin said...

OH. MY. HECK!!! I must have these right now! This just made it to the top of my weekend "to make" list!!! =o)

ryann5-egads said...

These look SO good, I'm going to try them with a GF mix so I can sneak a bite too! :)

Chiara said...

Oh, yum! Thank you for sharing this deliciousness! I just featured this post on my Friday Favorites. Thank you for sharing your recipe--your pictures of the bars are gorgeous!

Susi said...

I'm pretty sure my kids would say "gimme, gimme, gimme" to these bars as well :o) I can see why a small piece might be sufficient

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

These look amazing! The only thing is that I can never cut small pieces, it's just not possible!

Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday.

ladymorgiana said...

oh wow! those look delightful! Can I have one plz?

Marie said...

Wow, I can understand why your children were excited to see these! One question--is the preheated oven just whatever temperature that the cake mix suggests? (I would hate to waste any caramel...or cake mix...or chocolate chips, if I can help it :) Thanks for sharing!

Ann said...

Caramel desserts are my favorite. These look delicious!

shopannies said...

caramels are one of my favorite sweets these sounds so good yummy

briarrose said...

Wonderful dessert. Caramel....oh so good.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Love anything caramel. The kids can help unwrap all the caramels! Thanks!

Magic of Spice said...

These do look tempting :) I love caramel desserts!

Barbara Bakes said...

Your family sounds a lot like mine. They're disappointed if there's not something for dessert every night. I know they'd be happy with this one!

Monet said...

How did you know I was craving caramel? I think these bars look delicious. I can see why your family was excited (and why they expect such yummy desserts each and every night!) Thank you for sharing with me tonight! I hope you have a great weekend, my dear.

Chef Dennis said...

hi Kristen
I have got to make this for my girls! they will go crazy for these bars!!
They love anything caramel and these little treats look like they take caramel to a whole new level!
Dennis

Catherine said...

These do look delicious...and there is nothing wrong with a little help from the cake mix...I think that it is wonderful that your kids have so much to look forward to with the wonderful dishes you prepare. These are memories of your cooking that they will keep with them for the rest of their life. Blessings, Catherine

rosy+tart said...

Oh my... these look incredible! I'll need to go for a run or three before making these... they won't stand a chance. :)

Meg said...

Oh YUM! I'm SO TRYING THIS! I wish I could reach through the screen and eat it right now! Mmmmm....

Sara said...

I made, and posted these for Secret Recipe Club today! They were a big hit for me personally (ahem) as well as at my office!! It was fun to read through your blog.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.