Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Brownies + Cookies = Brookies

 Money burns a hole in two of my sons' pockets.  As soon as they get even a dollar or two, they start teasing to go to the store to buy candy or gum.  When I ask them to think about saving it, I get all sorts of excuses about why they don't need to do worry about that at their age.  It drives me nuts.  I have been a saver since I was 10, I was raised by savers.  I have two children who are just like me, one who is on the fence, and these other two who might just have a few financial problems when they are older.
 What on earth does this have to do with these amazing chocolate treats?  It's the peppermint kisses I put inside them.  Just like my sons cannot wait to spend their money, certain ingredients haunt me until I can put them to use in a recipe.  That's the way it's been with these mint candies.  Ever since they came into my home they have been calling to me, asking me how I was going to use them, tapping their watches to let me know that time was passing.  (Okay, maybe none of that really happened, but you get the idea).
So I was reading a couple of cookbooks and came across a chocolate cookie that was almost identical to my favorite brownie recipe.  It got me to thinking about how a brownie would taste in cookie form.  Then, I heard those mint kisses calling again and knew I had to make these "brookies."  Any flavor of Hershey kisses would be fine in these.  In fact, if you just used regular ones, they would be reminiscent of Betty Crocker's triple chocolate chunk brownie mix...in cookie form.

Brookies
3/4 cup oil (can use melted butter)
2/3 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 11 ounce package Hershey kisses (mint or whatever you choose), chopped coarsely with a chef's knife
In a large mixing bowl, stir oil and cocoa together until smooth.  Mix in sugar and then add eggs and vanilla.  Finally, stir in flour and baking powder until thoroughly mixed.  Fold in optional nuts and candy.  Drop by spoon full on greased cookie sheet or cookie sheet with baking liner like Silpat.  Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes.


37 comments:

Belinda said...

Brookies - brilliant!!! Brilliant and delicious

thecountrycook said...

Brookies - I love it!! And they sound perfect!!
Brandie

whatsfordinner-acrossstatelines said...

Brookies, I love this idea, never had a brookie before. My children have the same problem, the learn eventually though. Hope you are having a great week.
-Gina-

egbkid said...

Cute name, they look addictive!! I love chocolate cookies and brownies (who doesn't?), and my cookie jar is getting low...Thanks for sharing!!

Green Girl said...

brookies :)))) such a great word and love the idea.

i have a big problem with saving money :(( i was the spoiled granddaughter and only later i realized it was not good :(

have a wonderful rest of the week Kristi

Nisa Homey said...

Wow brookies...and they look addictive!!! I hate bringing butter to room temp and was on a lookout for melted butter recipes....so here is my answer to that...

Prathima Rao said...

Very innovative!!!! They look so inviting..;)

Prathima RAo
Prats Corner

Beth said...

What a fun treat. Yes, food sometimes calls my name too!

Katerina said...

Lol, Kristen this is how I was when I was little. I wanted to spend every single drachma I was given. That's ok. When they will grow up they will understand the usage of money and the advantages of savings. Just let them enjoy for a while this freedom of spending without thinking. Your brookies look delicious, but then again they have chocolate how can they not?

Austin said...

My wife made something similar the other day: Nutella + Cookies = Nutokies (Nu-to-kies) :)

The Farm Girl said...

I love the name!! And a fabulous idea, thanks for sharing :)

ButterYum said...

What an adorable name!

:)
ButterYum

Magic of Spice said...

Love the name :) Oh my goodness I need some chocolate fast! These are wonderful :)

ladymorgiana said...

Wow I love those :) so cool and love the story behind them, and yes I know the feeling of ingredient haunting me, belive me I know very well what you're talking about! Thank you for stopping by and all those kind words :)

Mary at Deep South Dish said...

Fantastic idea! Love mint with chocolate. Thanks for stopping by today! Hope you have a great weekend.

Angela said...

I am so doing these lol!!!
im a new follower please follow back thanks so much

ryann2 said...

Anything chocolate in my house calls my name... :) These look delicious!!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oooh, these looks divine! I agree with ryann2 "Anything chocolate in my house calls my name..." :)

Pattie T. said...

Genius! I love this idea. I'd like to bite into one now.

thejoyofcaking said...

I love those the sound of those brookies! With chocolate you can't ever go wrong!

Joanne said...

Eh, I think the kids will learn eventually. Hopefully.

Cookies PLUS brownies?!?!? Heaven on a plate.

Tiffany said...

Brookies! I freaking love it! :D

Terra said...

Okay I love love the name!!! Soooo creative:) AND they sound soooo delicious too:) May have to make these for the hubby, he is a chocolalcoholic LOL!!!
Take care,
Terra
www.cafeterrablog.com

Sue said...

They sure look good! I still need to use my candy cane Hershey's kisses:) This recipe will come in handy. I found another blog with a treat(cookie/brownie truffle-like)they called "Brookies" too today:)

Lo-mo said...

I do so love combining words to make new ones! Probably why I love brunch so much! Brookies look and sound like a winner to me!

A Joyful Noise said...

Your photo causes my mouth to water! I think I would just add a cup of chocolate chips (too lazy to cut up the kisses) My family will love this brookies

Brooks Walker said...

You had me at Brookies!

TheChocolatePriestess said...

Timely idea since I have a bag of kisses I'll need to use soon myself.

Ann Kroeker said...

My daughter makes something called "Night & Day" cookies that turn out very much like brownies in cookie form. I should compare ingredients with your "brookies."

And the kisses? Brilliant!

So glad you linked up this recipe with Food on Fridays!

Chef Dennis said...

I love them!! Brookies is a great name for those tasty creations, but you could call them anything and they would still be delicious!
I can see why your family loves them!
hope your weekend is going well
Dennis

baking.serendipity said...

I made something similar to these at Christmas time and they went super quickly! I love the "brookies" name!

Monet said...

The best of both worlds! These would probably satisfy my craving for Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies too. Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. May your Sunday be one of peace and love.

briarrose said...

These look to tempting...love the peppermint kisses. I think I still have a little residual holiday mint craving going on. :)

ravienomnoms said...

Love the name haha, and these look just so tasty!

Joy said...

Brownie made into a cookie! It is genius. It looks wonderful.

Denine said...

Yummy. I posted a friend's recipe on my blog last week, but her "brookies" are more brownie vs cookie. Either way, they're awesome.

LookyTasty said...

omg brownie cookies!! :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.