Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

I am so glad I started do this feature.  I literally have folders full of recipes I have printed off of other blogs plus a SpringPadIt virtual folder full of at least another 2 dozen bookmarked recipes.  Slowly, I am starting to wade through all of those lovely recipes.  Sadly, I have found that some of the blogs I marked a year ago are no longer in existence.

I first saw cinnamon roll pancakes on Mare's Meet Me in the Kitchen, but she had a link to yet a different blog where she had found the recipe.  I went to Robin Sue's the Big Red Kitchen and found not only a slightly different version of these pancakes, but also a new-to-me blog.  That's the beauty of links.  She in turn had a link to yet another version of these pancakes on still another new-to-me blog, but I didn't like that version, so I ended the blog hopping with Robin Sue's blog.

My children live for sweet breakfasts.  I try to make them only savory meals on school days. Weekends and holidays are even more fun for them because they start with sweet meals.  Cinnamon rolls are among their favorites, but they take a lot of work.  Pancakes are easy, but they get boring.  Combining the two, however, was sheer brilliance.

I used my tried and true pancake recipe.  It's a no fail, make with my eyes shut recipe that all of my family (including extended members) loves.  The rest of the recipe involves making a brown sugar/butter/cinnamon mixture that you swirl on the pancake batter as soon as you scoop it onto the hot griddle.    Topping the cooked pancakes with a runny cream cheese frosting completes the cinnamon roll illusion.    I doubled my pancake recipe and had enough brown sugar mixture, but I ran out of cream cheese frosting halfway through...that needs doubling or you can plan on having enough brown sugar mixture for another batch later (save it in the fridge).

You can use a bisquick or krusteaz mix for your pancakes.  I believe it will work just fine if you don't want to make the entire meal from scratch.  Make your favorite pancakes and just add the extras.  Your family will thank you!
Cinnamon Filling (from The Big Red Kitchen)
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix until smooth: 
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon
Put the mixture  in the microwave and zap it 10 seconds at a time until it can be squeezed in a steady stream in a spiral onto the pancakes through either a pastry bag or a zip-loc bag with a snipped corner.  Place it on raw pancake batter and then flip over to cook that side.

Cream Cheese Icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 ounces cream cheese 
1tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp milk
Using the hand mixer, mix until smooth and pour the icing into another pastry bag or zip-loc bag. Squeeze it over the cooked pancakes in a criss-cross design.

Now it's your turn:

57 comments:

Foodiva said...

Wow, these cinnamon roll pancakes are a brilliant idea. At first glance, they trick the brain into thinking they really ARE rolls! I really must make these for my kids, I'm sure they'll love it and they'll love me even more... Thanks for passing this recipe on.

SnoWhite said...

what a fun breakfast! i'm sure your kids loved these :)

Jennifer said...

The pancakes are over-the-top! YUM! I can't wait to make them...thank you!!!

The Better Baker said...

Absolutely brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that???...and oh so delicious with cream cheese frosting. You sold me! Thanks a billion for sharing....

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

These look amazing. I am going to have to add them to my to do list.

Faith said...

Oh man I wonder what those would be like topped with homemade dulce de leche and nuts?!! NOM!

egbkid said...

Neat...a nice spin to everyday breakfast. I think i might try this next weekend :-)

Angela FRS said...

Oh my goodness, those look amazing. Must. Try.

TiffKey said...

Cool! These look awesome!

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

wow what a great idea! I'm definitely trying this. I didn't know cinnamon roll pancakes would be so easy!

Claudia said...

i cook from blogs quite a lot (and let them know) so this is near and dear to my heart. The breakfast looks amazing and would warm the hearts and minds of my family!

openid said...

These are so fun! Great presentation.

Donnie said...

What a great idea. They look delicious.

Chelsea said...

Ooh, have you tried buttermilk syrup? It tastes kinda like cream cheese frosting, but it goes further. Super easy to make. I think a certain man-of-my-house needs me to make him some of these.

Diethood.com said...

That's a great great idea! These look so yummy!

Monet said...

This is such a fun recipe! And such a great column you are doing. I also have too many folders filled with recipes I want to try. There are so many great blogs with so many great recipes! I love the swirl in these pancakes...how much fun! Thank you for sharing, my dear. I hope you have a good Monday. Let the week begin!

Daksha said...

That's a great idea! These look so yummy i'm sure it's delicious.

katerina said...

They look so pretty and I would kill to have them as my breakfast.

ping said...

What a clever idea! Perks up a normal looking pancake. Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn said...

Oh, these are awesome! I am bookmarking these to make for my kids very soon.

Lizzy said...

So creative! I know my kids would love these :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

These look amazing! I can't wait to try them! Thanks!

Joanne said...

I'm pretty sure I have these bookmarked as well! I love cinnamon roll anything and these sound exceptionally delicious!

Semi-Organized Mom said...

So happy to have found your site! I never have luck with using zip-lock bags for things like this, so I'll just buy a $2 plastic condiment bottle and cut the tip big enough to allow the mixture to flow easily. Thanks for the recipe!!

Kori said...

What a fun breakfast! I love the idea and I'm sure your kids did too! :)

happywhennothungry said...

Wow these pancakes look amazing and not too complicated either! I love finding new blogs via other foodie's blogs. It's a great way to get new recipes and ideas!

Lisa said...

These look amazing! YUM! Got any left for me? : )

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

What an innovative idea! My kids would go nuts over this. ...Making this weekend!

Indonesian In Turkey said...

They are looking definitely yummy ! ^_^ what a outstanding idea

Adora's Box said...

What a great idea. I definitely have to make this. I love cinnamon rolls but just can't find time to make them. This sounds like magic to me.

Wilde in the Kitchen said...

I totally thought these were cinnamon rolls too! Very cute idea, thanks for passing along the links to the other websites! I love pancakes and will have to give this a try in my kitchen :)

Steph said...

These are so awesome! They look just like cinnamon rolls! I think I know what I'm making for breakfast this weekend!

Cyndi said...

These look great thanks so much for sharing!

Kim Kelly said...

I can not even begin to tell you how much my daughter will love these!! Excellent weekend food!! Nicely done,

FOODESSA said...

Kristen, how could I not love how you dressed up these pancakes...great idea!!!
I shall try something similar with my go-to yogurt pancake fluffs;o) Thanks for the inspiration.

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Sugar Free Low Carb said...

Very pretty pancakes. Such a neat way to dress up the ordinary.

Bethany said...

I'm so excited to make these! Thank you so much for linking up!

Rachel said...

those are so pretty!

I LOVE when we find new yummy blogs and friends through others! YAY

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks delicious

Evan B said...

Well, I don't have any kids but would it still be okay to make these for me and Mountain Man!? They sound absolutely fantastic!!

GreenGirl said...

Oh my, what a great idea. I have to confess, when i first saw the photo without even reading a word I said to myself: another cinnabon rolls, yummy. But no, it's cinnamon swirl pancakes so much easier to make and so good looking. i'll give them a try real soon.
Thanks for sharing the recipe and hosting this wonderful event.
Best wishes,

Roxana

cake said...

I guess i know what i am having for breakfast tomorrow morning ;)

Kate said...

What a GREAT idea! My grandkids will love these.

Suchitra said...

anything with cinnamon, I am in! looks gorgeous :)

ravienomnoms said...

SINFUL!

Sandra said...

Amazing idea..and it looks so prettyyyyy!:D

briarrose said...

Wonderful idea for a pancakes. I'll have to try this one out.

elizabeth said...

Oh those look FANTASTIC!

Chiara said...

Just found your blog AND, thanks to this post, I just found a great new sweet breakfast treat for my boys! Delish! Thank you!

Amy said...

So gorgeous! My kids (and picky husband) will love this!

Sue said...

The cutest, yummiest pancakes EVER!

chezsasha said...

Wow, these look awesome. You just can't go wrong when combining such classic favorites as pancakes and cinnamon rolls. Good job : )

ryann2 said...

We made these tonight, my kids loved them and cleaned their plates... My 2 yr old actually LICKED the plate! LOL! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to see what else you post!

The Mom Chef said...

54 comments later you definitely don't need me to tell you that this is an awesome idea, but I'm going to because it really is. You did an incredible job at making those look like real cinnamon rolls. Thanks for passing the recipe along.

Deanna said...

Made these this morning. The brown sugar mix burned on my cast iron skillets. Next time I will try them on the non-stick. Not sure but maybe the Kusteaz (sp) mix I used - maybe it works better with homemade pancake batter. More rise or something so the swirl does not carmalize and burn so much? Or maybe it was the cast iron. I will try again - cool recipe!

Jennifer said...

First of all, I just found your blog today thanks to Finding Joy In My Kitchen. I am so glad I checked it out.

I cannot tell you how excited I am about these cinnamon roll pancakes! I have all of the ingredients and am definitely treating my family to these in the morning. Expect to hear from me next week letting you know I've posted about it and thanking you :)

I'm anxious to check out more of your blog and look forward to joining in on your next Your Recipe My Kitchen party.

Til Next Time,
Jenn

Lauren said...

Wow...I wish you were my mom so I could come eat breakfast at your house! These look amazing :)

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.