Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Chicken Gnocchi Soup Copycat

For my birthday, my mother-in-law gave me a gift card to the Olive Garden.  It was a wonderful present because 1. it represented two dates for me and my husband, 2. it wasn't something I was going to have to find a place to store and 3. it was an opportunity to go out and eat....for free.  Remembering that I live in Small Town, AZ, with limited restaurants and that my in-laws live in a Seattle suburb, there were few options for gift cards.

The second time we went, I just had soup.  I chose their Chicken Gnocchi variety.  Served with their bread sticks, it made a wonderful lunch.  So good was it, in fact, that I wanted to make it at home a few days later.   I did a few searches and ended up at copykat.com, a site that has changed a bit over the years and is now in a blog form.  So two birds were killed with one stone.  I got my soup and I got another edition of "Your Recipe, My Kitchen."


Stephanie's version says it makes 8 servings, but I knew by reading it that it wouldn't be enough for my family, so I doubled it.  Sort of.  I used homemade gnocchi instead of store bought (at $3.49 a package I would have had to spend roughly $12 on that alone).  I used a single chicken breast I had in the freezer and then used a large can of chicken.  I used one quart of half and half, because I had it and then added canned milk for the doubled amount.  I had Swiss chard on hand, not spinach.  So, there were definitely some changes.  The results however, were wonderful.  Two thumbs up from the pickiest of eaters.  Served with homemade bread sticks, it was everything I had hoped it would be.

Olive Garden's Chicken Gnocchi Soup (from copykat.com)
1 cup chicken breasts, diced and cooked (can use canned chicken or turkey)
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 quart half and half (can use evaporated milk)
1 14 ounce can chicken broth (I added five when I doubled it, so you may want at least 1 more can)
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1/4 cup flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup carrots, shredded (mine were coarsely shredded)
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped (the Swiss chard was great, so that's another possibility)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (my addition)
16 ounce package gnocchi
In a large stockpot, saute the onion, celery and garlic in the butter and olive oil.  When the onion is clear, add the flour and form a roux.  Stir and cook a minute.  Add the half and half .  Meanwhile in another pan, cook the gnocchi.  (I cooked mine in the chicken broth, but it was about triple the called for amount). Add the carrots and chicken to the stockpot.  Stir often and when it gets thicker, add the chicken broth, gnocchi, spinach and seasonings.  Cover and heat through.  (Mine simmered a bit while I waited for my breadsticks to finish up.  Just keep stirring it if you let it simmer.)


Okay, friends, now it's your turn.  What have you made lately from other blogs?
Remember to link back here, give the original recipe author credit and link to a post not your homepage.  

27 comments:

Belinda said...

What a sweet gift! This gnocchi looks fantastic! I'm going to have to follow suit.

Lizzy said...

This looks fabulous...I love that you can make little tweaks without sacrificing the outcome. Perfect for a midwinter's lunch or dinner~

Kita said...

My BF had this the last time we went to Olive Garden and I thought it was great! It has been on the soup list for the winter. You may have just bumped it to the top. :)

SnoWhite said...

I've never had this soup at Olive Garden -- I'm partial to their minestrone. This looks great -- I love knock-off recipes like this that you can make in your own kitchen.

Diethood.com said...

mmmm! That is a really good soup and your version looks the same as the one at the Olive Garden!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

It's always fun when you get a favorite dish to come out similar to the restaraunt's!

I'm excited to link up, but I only have my iPad with me at the moment (and it's not letting me link up), will have to come back later!

katerina said...

This soup looks absolutely perfect. All the ingredients you used are favorites. I linked up as well.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Your soup looks wonderful and those pictures are awesome!

Carolyn said...

It looks so good, I am going to venture a guess that it was better than the one from the Olive Garden. But the gift cert was certainly a nice present from your in-laws!

Suchi said...

recipe looks good! Guess I can recreate this one without the chicken- Thanks for sharing!

Chef Dennis said...

what a great take on Olive Gardens soup!! My wife loves that soup when we do go, so now you have given me a recipe to make it for her!
Have a great week!
Dennis

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Oh, that soup looks wonderful! I'm freezing and that would be great right now, thanks!

danasfoodforthought said...

This sounds so tasty! I've never had the Olive Garden version, but I am definitely going to try this one!

Jennifer said...

The soup looks really good! I love trying restaurant knock-off recipes.
I linked up today for the first time. Just discovered you last week and am enjoying your blog.
Thanks!
Jenn

Courtney said...

this looks so good! i am totally going to have to make this! i will also try to make the gnocchi at home its on my 30 before 30 list!

Amnah said...

I think I'm going to try this soup today or tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Brooks Walker said...

I've never had the restaurant version, but your narrative intrigues me to try this recipe - just the way you made it! Many thanks.

Sandra said...

Looks so tasty and delicious! Yummmy!:)

Drick said...

very nice sounding soup, would like your version any day - how did you make your dumplings?

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy flavourful soup

Elsa said...

I've never had this at Olive Garden, but it looks delicious. I love gnocchi.

Ang said...

Okay this looks delicious. I didn't know Olive Garden even had such a soup. Yum!

Mother Rimmy said...

What a creamy chicken soup. I've only been to Olive Garden a few times, but I've loved every dish I've had. In fact, they make a simple salad I really loved!

Terrific pictures. Very mouthwatering!
Kristi

MrsJenB said...

This looks fantastic! I love Olive Garden's soups in general but this is my favorite. I could really go for some of this right about now...with breadsticks...mmmm...

Visiting from Mouthwatering Monday - thanks for making me drool! ;-)

Christy said...

this looks so hearty and delicious. i haven't been to an olive garden in years...but i am hearing so many positive things about it..i should probably get myself in there! in the meanwhile, i have this recipe to keep me company. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

tamilyn said...

That is my oldest daughter's favorite there, and we found a recipe on line to make at home. It is wonderful, but we leave out the spinach-not a fan unless it is in dip form :)

es65 said...

Olive Garden's soup,salad & breadsticks are one of my favorites. I will have to give this recipe a whirl. Thanks for sharing!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.