Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Your Recipe, My Kitchen: Apple Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze

Welcome to the first Your Recipe, My Kitchen.   I don't know about you, but I have bookmarked more recipes from other blogs than I may ever be able to cook or bake.  I came to the realization that if I didn't give myself a day to make them each week, there was really no point in bookmarking any.  So, here we are; New Year's Resolution #2539: Your Recipe, My Kitchen.

Every Monday, I will feature a recipe from another blog that I have made in my kitchen, too.   If you want to play along, I have a linky set up at the bottom of this post.  The rules are mostly the same as any other blog party.  Be sure to link from your specific recipe post to this one.  The biggest rule, though is to give credit to the original recipe blogger in your post.  Not only is this honest, it also gives everyone a chance to find that blog, too.

I found the recipe for Apple Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze on The Sisters Cafe blog.  It was quite by accident that I found their wonderful blog, but I am now a big fan.   If you haven't been to their blog, I recommend you take a trip over there.  The only change I made in the recipe was to replace the nuts with raisins.  I was out of nuts and was wanting to please some of the nut-haters in my house when I made this.  It is an incredibly moist, delicious cake.  The glaze is decadent.  Not wanting to fiddle with a bundt that day, I used a simple tube pan.

Apple Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze (from The Sisters Cafe)
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 cup chopped nuts (I used raisins)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt cake (I used a tube pan).  Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer.  Combine dry ingredients and stir in.  Fold in the apples and raisins (or nuts).  Pour into your prepared pan and bake 1 hour and 10-20 minutes (use a cake tester to make sure it's completely done)...(Check the cake at the 1 hour mark, as Erin, the original recipe poster said hers was done by then.  Mine wasn't done until 1 hour 20 minutes...it's an oven/altitude thing I am sure).  Cool 15 minutes on a wire rack and then invert the cake onto a serving plate.  Pour glaze over the top.

Caramel Glaze:
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cream (or evaporated milk)
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from  heat and ladle over the cooled cake at least 20 minutes prior to serving as the glaze is too hot and needs to cool down.
Can you see how moist this cake was?  We ended up calling it "Caramel Apple Cake" for short.  It was truly fabulous!!
Now it's your turn:


47 comments:

Sue said...

That cake, and especially that glaze, looks "to die for" delicious! What a great idea to start this new Monday blog party, "Your Recipe, My Kitchen". You're full of good ideas, Kristen!

egbkid said...

Ymmm, this looks delicious...a bundt pan and tube pan is not something i have, that will have to be the next thing on my kitchen list :-)

BakingWithoutABox said...

What a great idea. I'm always baking up good things from other folk's blogs. With full credit of course. It's no good unless the person gets the love. What a wonderful selection to kick off your new feature. Brilliantly done!

Tastemonials said...

I have so many recipes saved from other people's blogs that sometimes I don't have a chance to try out my own. I try to always let the original poster know when I've tried it and how it turned out.

Amy said...

Great idea! This cake looks super amazing!

~ Lyndsay The Kitchen Witch said...

This is such a great idea! It will help many of us to remember to try the recipes we've been meaning to get to.

I got a fabulous new recipe from a fellow blogger in December that I tried and will share it here.

Lizzy said...

This cake looks fabulous! Will copy and try...thank you!

boulderlocavore said...

Clever girl! Always nice to know if the recipe works for multiple people!

Belinda said...

Love this idea! Can I link up showing me EATING this bundt instead? =)

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

This is a great idea. It is somewhat similar to my To Try Tuesday, except yours are recipes from blogs whereas mine come from a variety of places. I think I am like you in that I have more recipes to try than I have time to make them.

Claudia said...

I also cook from blogs all the time (with due credit) and find it more exciting than many cookbooks. You definitely started with a winning recipe - love the crumb and the caramel sauce over it is cake-perfection.

LDH said...

Fantastic idea! You are creative both in the kitchen and on your blog ~ must be why I love stopping by!

The Apple Bundt Cake look delicious!

lemonsandanchovies said...

What a great idea! I've just posted about starting some kind of series on my blog, too, since I don't seem to try all the recipes (or use the cookbooks) I have. This caramel apple cake looks wonderful! Happy New Year!

Diethood.com said...

That's a wonderful idea! I also have a lot of recipes that I print out, but I can't get to all of them!

This caramel apple cake looks amazing - that yummy glaze is talking to me! :)

The Dutch Baker's Daughter said...

This looks fabulous--I could have a cup of that caramel sauce all on its own! :)

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

I think "Your Recipe, My Kitchen" is an excellent idea, and I'm really looking forward to this new feature! I'd be baking this cake "right now" if I had a tube/bundt pan. I'll purchase one tomorow!

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

Kristen, I forgot to tell you the photos' are amazing! It IS a small world. I'm beginning to think we all read the same blogs! The sisters, well their Mom, have a lot of great recipes.

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

The recipe looks great. I love the idea of your recipe, my kitchen. That is such a simple, but wonderful idea. I know I have a ton of recipes bookmarked too!

baking.serendipity said...

I love your new Monday trend and this bundt cake! Hope 2011 brings you fantastic things :)

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

What a great idea. I've got a gazillion recipes saved too! The cake looks dangerously delicious!

Sandra said...

That cake is so good! I love how it looks! :) I just started day before New Year the same thing at my blog:)) trying recipes from other blogs! Isn't great idea? Best wishes for 2011

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Love your Twist on the linky party! Thanks for hosting!

briarrose said...

Wow that glaze....nom! Wonderful idea for a weekly post. I just realized the other day I have a giant...and I do mean giant...stack of recipes I want to try, but it takes me forever to get to them. ;)

katerina said...

This is such a fun event and the cake sure looks decadent! I love it!

Drick said...

love a good apple cake and this one sounds easy enough, esp with that caramel icing - good choice to start off a fabulous series...

aslansavz said...

That looks fabulous!!!!!!!!

Evan B said...

What a wonderful idea! I can't wait to see the things you make up in your kitchen :) There are so many fantastic looking recipes out there- I'm excited! Happy New Year!

Magic of Spice said...

What a fun idea...
This cake does look delightful, especially love the glaze running over the sides...beautiful :)

Megan@foodalution.com said...

Super idea! Love it! I make a cake like this too... except I put coconut in the batter and a bit of whiskey in the caramel! - delicious!

Debbie said...

That cross section pic of the cake just sold me, I have to make this! It looks so moist and with the caramel draped over it, YUM!

Angie's Recipes said...

The cake looks super moist, rich and delish! Your recipe, my kitchen...I love the concept.
Angie

SnoWhite said...

Delicious! I didn't know we'd get to play along with you on this new feature too -- I love it!

Thanks.

Michael Toa said...

What a beautiful looking cake.
That's what I need to do as well. Stop bookmarking recipes and actually cook them. So, I'm gonna start as well. Happy New Year to you and your family. May this year be joyful and delicious.

Roxan said...

Oh my, how fun! that's such a good idea to do your recipe, my kitchen. Can the rest of us join in too?! :)

thespicegarden said...

First off, let's get this straight ... i love that you have chosen a day each week to post what the rest of us have thought of doing ... that is, actually making all those mouthwatering dishes that we've bookmarked or 'saved'! Excellent move on your part, Kristin!

Second, you chose a wonderful beginning recipe! gotta love apple and caramel combo! My jeans don't thank you, but I do! SB has a birthday in another week or so ... hmm!

Third, Rome, NY, huh? What an incredibly small world we live in that two bloggers could meet randomly on-line and be from the tiny state fo New York (well, in relation to the world)! Howdy, neighbor! I'd throw a snowball, but ...

happywhennothungry said...

This cake looks amazing! Yum! Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!

Adora's Box said...

What a heavenly concoction! Love apples, especially in cake. Love caramel more. Are people allowed to drink it? My idea of a cheer me up cake. I'll make it when I'm feeling low...then hide in the cupboard and eat it all :)

Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Recipes to Make Dining Out a Choice, Not a Chore} said...

What a FABULOUS idea! I too have bookmarked so many great recipes from other blogs {yours included}... this is a super idea. BTW this cake looks amazing!

Tomato in said...

hmmm yum! reminds me of the flavors of normandy!

Joy said...

This cake looks delish.

Joy said...

This cake looks delish.

rosy+tart said...

Oh wow... that cakes looks absolutely YUMMY. Now I need to find a reason to make it... :)

Maria said...

This looks so incredibly moist and delicious! Happy New Year to you!

21st Century Housewife© said...

What a fantastic idea for a linkie! I have so many bookmarked recipes and this is a great excuse to give them a try. I may just have to bookmark the Apple Bundt Cake though - it looks amazing and I love anything with caramel sauce!

thelonelyradish.com said...

I've been grappling with that too. Great idea :)

Lauren said...

Wow...that cake looks unbelievable. There's nothing better than super moist cake with a fabulous glaze to top it off! :)

Nisa Homey said...

The caramel glaze looks too good....lovely clicks...first time here....lovely space.

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.