Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vegetable Soup

When I find the fridge dangerously full of vegetables, with the choice between using them and throwing them out leaning closer and closer to the trash, I make soup.  This week, I had sweet potatoes coming out of my ears, some chayote that were puzzling me and leftover vegetables like roasted fingerlings, carrots and green beans.   To make a vegetable soup, it doesn't matter how many or which kinds of vegetables are holding up in your refrigerator.  Throw them into a pot with broth and a starch like rice or pasta and you have a great dinner or lunch in the making.

I used my enamel covered Dutch oven for this soup.  I put some beef bones into it and roasted them for a few hours; until they were nice and brown.  Then I added some boiling water to the pot (putting cold water into the hot pan would have been disastrous) with some onion peels, celery tops and other weird things I keep in my freezer to make broth.  After another two hours or so, I strained out the solids and the bones and started putting in the things I actually wanted to eat.  In went the chopped sweet potatoes, chopped onions, chayute, leftover potatoes and anything else I found in my fridge.  I let them cook, covered for another hour.  In went some orzo for 10 minutes. Then, we ate.  It was delicious.

If I hadn't had soup bones in the freezer, I could have started with a chicken or pork chops or ham.  I could have added some beans or lentils or even chunks of meat.  The possibilities are pretty much limited by your imagination or the contents of your vegetable bin.

Vegetable Soup
2 pounds soup bones
1 onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3-5 carrots, peeled and sliced
1-2 bay leaves
potatoes or sweet potatoes (1/2 per person being served)
1 can green beans or corn or peas
any leftover vegetables you may want to use
1-2 quarts water
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 1/2 cups rice or pasta

Roast the bones in the oven at 400 degrees for two hours.  Remove and add to stockpot.  Add water, onion, celery and carrots to the pot.  Cover and simmer for 2 hours.  Remove the bones from the pot and add other vegetables.  Cook for another half hour.  Add the rice and pasta.  Cook only another 15 minutes for pasta, 30 minutes for rice.

29 comments:

baking.serendipity said...

I want a bowl of this soup with some of your breadsticks right now! You really put a lot of time and love into your soup and I'm sure the final results showed!

Lyndsey said...

That sounds like the best way to get them veggies eaten...in the most delicious way! Yum!

Kim Kelly said...

The title of this soup is perfect! I have so many days like that! I tend to by things for recipes that I saw earlier in the week then I forget what I was going to make and stand there looking at some strange combo of veggies. Soup is an excellent idea!! Nicely done!

Blackswan said...

What a healthy & colourful recipe!

katerina said...

All these veggies in the soup make it really a healthy and hearty meal. I wonder if my little picky one would eat this. I would devour it in a second!

Prathima Rao said...

A perfect solution to get rid of those excess veggies!!! This looks real comforting...

Lizzy said...

LOL at your soup's name...just perfect. A bowl of this looks so inviting...especially with our sub-zero windchills this AM!!

21st Century Housewife© said...

Your soup sounds lovely! I often make soup when my fridge is dangerously full of vegetables threatening to get past their best too. I had never heard of chayote though. It was good to learn about a new (to me) vegetable.

By the way, I'm co-hosting a new foodie blog hop called Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home and I'd love it if you would join in :)

Have a great weekend!

Ms. F said...

Beautiful recipe. I love making those fridge cleaner recipes, the meals you get out of them are always so delicious. I'm getting pretty close to making one. The roasted beef bones must have lent the most incredibly rich flavour.

Drick said...

that is how I make soup too, starting with a rich stock and using whatever veggies I find... like the sweet potatoes in there along with the bay leaves, that's getting closer to my way of cooking....

Belinda said...

That's a hearty soup for any day!!

L. Avery Brown said...

This sounds terrific and not too difficult. But I have one questions...and don't laugh cause I'm not a big time cook...but what exactly are 'soup bones'? I know it sounds silly but I figure better to ask than not fix it because I'm too proud to!

Thanks,
Avery

Mari said...

Just the kind of recipe I need!
Would love you to share it at my Food Fight Friday link party.
http://choochmagooz.blogspot.com/2011/01/food-fight-friday-anything-goes.html

danasfoodforthought said...

Veggie soup is great because it's so versatile! I love a big bowl of warm soup in the winter!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this is such a lovely recipe... thank you for sharing this..and have a great day.

happywhennothungry said...

Yum! This looks perfect for this cold weather. :-)

Lisa said...

Yum, sounds like a delicious way to clean out the fridge.

Sue said...

Love all the possibilities with this soup...looks delicious!

dreamsofcakes said...

Perfect in a winters day! Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Emily Malloy said...

Yum Yum Yum!!!

Magic of Spice said...

Sweet potatoes sound wonderful here...I love making my own stocks as well and generally keep soup bones in the freezer just for that reason. Great recipe :)

Suchitra said...

really nice! love it :)

Joanne said...

I've never had vegetable soup with sweet potatoes in it which is such a shame! This looks delicious. So good for the soul.

Nicole Feliciano said...

Love the ingredients and the low sodium content. Thanks for sharing with Momtrends.

Amy Bakes Everything said...

Yay for soup, right? The savior of dying vegetables! Soup is so awesome like that!

Tiffany said...

Great idea!

Shannon said...

We have a gallon ziplock in our freezer where we throw the leftover veggies, rice, and random small meat pieces. When it's full, then we make what we call "Clean-Up Soup" - and it's one of my family's favorite meals! It's always different, and yet always delicious! Also, since the cost of everything was counted in other meals, this one is considered *free*, and free is good in my book!

Elisabeth said...

Roasting soup bones to me is the best way to make a delicous broth for any kind of soup, with or without the meat, or veggies, but the way you combined them with all those veggies...the result, an amazing comforting yummy soup!

withoutadornment said...

I really like how versatile this soup is. It's always great to find different recipes on how to use up large quantities of things in your fridge!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.