Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Panini all'Olio


If it weren't right there in my blog title, I might feel like I had to tell you once in a while that I am rather excited to get a good deal.  Well, I got a gift certificate to Ross for Christmas.  It's one of my favorite places to shop.  So, there I was, pushing my cart through the store, looking for deals I couldn't pass by.  I always head for the cookbook section.  I found a copy of Martha Day's Baking for $7.99.  I fell in love with the photos.  (Photos are what I consider my biggest blog problem).  I put the book in my basket and continued on.  Then, I found in the clearance section a copy of Martha Day's Complete Baking for $3.49.  When I flipped through the pages, I discovered that they were, in fact, the same book under a different name.  Guess which one I bought.

Anyway, after digging out my kitchen scale and looking all over the internet to decipher British ingredient lingo, I have decided to bake my way through the luscious bread section of the book.   140 pages of breads.  I am so excited.  Granted, some of the breads are pretty similar after a while, there are enough to keep me busy.

This week's bread comes from Italy.  It uses olive oil  inside and out.  What attracted me most, however, was the technique of snipping the rolls right before baking to make a rosette.  Regardless of whether or not you make these rolls, you have to admit, they are pretty.
Italian Panini all'Olio (from Complete Baking)
1 pound bread flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 ounce yeast
8 ounces lukewarm water
4 Tbsp olive oil (plus more for brushing)
Sift the flour and salt together.  In a small bowl, combine the yeast and water and let the yeast work.  When it's bubbly add it to the flour along with the olive oil.  Using a mixer, mix the ingredients to a dough.  Knead for 8-10 minutes (by hand or 4-5 minutes by mixer).  Cover and let rise for 1 hour.  Punch down and divide into 12 rolls.  Brush each one with olive oil and let them rise, covered another 30 minutes.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and snip the tops of the rolls with scissors, forming pentagons in the center and a bigger flower around the edges.  Bake 20-30 minutes.

The rolls were pretty dense.  The flavor was good and they would be great served with soup.  

33 comments:

Prathima Rao said...

Thats a beautiful looking fresh bread!!!

Lizzy said...

Such a pretty roll! And I love that it's made with olive oil...yum.

Belinda said...

They are so gorgeous! I can just dunk these in a thick bowl of stew...or slather warm butter....

Miz Helen said...

Oh yes...I can't wait to get one of these Italian Panini All Olio on my plate here at Full Plate Thursday. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

Carolyn said...

Those are gorgeous! I love that you got the book for $3.49, what a steal!

Ms. F said...

Gorgeous! I'm so jealous you got the book for $3.49! I buy my cookbooks at a used bookstore here or I inherit them so they are all delightfully vintage.

It seems like everyone is making bread these days, must be because of winter. I love the rosettes, it adds such a pretty touch to the basket of rolls!

katerina said...

Indeed they look perfect and the fact that they are made with olive oil is a guarantee of their good taste.

TiffKey said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ross! You can get such cute things there for SOOOOO cheap!

happywhennothungry said...

Your bread looks beautiful! I love baking Italian bread with olive oil. It gives the bread so much flavor. Thanks for sharing!

Diethood.com said...

I'd love to sink my teeth into one of those rolls - they look incredible!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks delicious and lovely patterns on it
yes I agree, I like to use the fresh pineapple cut too instead of the tin

Anna C said...

Who doesn't like a great deal? The book was a good buy, your bread looks beautiful.

Anna's Table

briarrose said...

What a cool shape!

whatsfordinner-acrossstatelines said...

My mom is so good at finding deals like that too. I've never seen rolls in this cute shape before. So easy too. I love homemade rolls, nothing better. You kitchen is going to smell good with all that bread baking going on!
-Gina-

Evan B said...

If only I would have seen this just a couple days earlier! I was looking for the perfect bread to accompany some soup.. looks like I have another soup to try and bread :)

Emily Malloy said...

Those are so incredibly lovely!

thespicegarden said...

Youare such an encouragement to me! I donot consider myself a good baker of breads ... to see someone grab the goal of baking her way through 140 pages of bread recipes does my heart good! I must get out of my rut and do a bread recipe soon! Stay tuned ...

Sandra said...

Beautiful rolls...I love the look and photos are great.

Winelady Cooks said...

Great deal and an even better recipe. This is perfect to make while we are snowed in here in the northeast.

Thanks for sharing,
Joanne

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Your rolls look really good. I'm jealous of your cheap cookbook!

Monet said...

As everyone has said...yummy! You are making me want to get in the kitchen and start baking bread. Thanks for sharing, sweet girl! Have a terrific Thursday.

Jennifurla said...

Great find on price there, I never think to look for cookbooks there.

egbkid said...

These look so nice! I would be afraid to snip them, lest they deflate!

Amy said...

Great bargain on the book, these rolls look so yummy!

FOODESSA said...

A plain white bun may excite some...however the rosette you snipped came out perfectly. I'm sure your family was mighty impressed Kristen!

BTW...I'm a real sucker for bargain books too (lots of pics a must)...especially the ones dealing with interior design and of course food ;O)

Ciao for now,
Claudia

Marie said...

These look great--haven't tried olive oil with a bread recipe to date, but this one looks like a good one to start with... :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Drick said...

these are pretty rolls - love bread although baking it is not my forte... this one looks simple enough maybe I can get up the courage to do it, yes, I know I can... looking forward to more

Mother Rimmy said...

I love Ross! I think I've outfitted half my kitchen from goodies I found there. Have fun with your bread making adventure. I adore bread, so I'll be watching to see what you make next.

Kristi

Suchitra said...

looks great!

GreenGirl said...

i love shopping at Ross too. I find good deal most of the time.
your panini all'ollio look so good. love the way you cut the top.

thanks for sharing Kristen

have a wonderful weekend

Lisa said...

Those bread rolls are just so pretty. I bet your house smelled wonderful while these were baking.

couponcookin said...

These look great! Thanks for sharing. Love the blog!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those bread rolls look so delicious¨A pretty shape.

Cheers,

Rosa

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.