Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup

I discovered Italian Wedding Soup years ago when there was a sale on either Campbell's Chunky or Progresso soups.  I bought flavors indiscriminately that time and ended up with a can or two of this variety.  I fell instantly in love.  From then on, whenever there were sales, I stocked up.   

You'd think that I would have considered making my own, seeings I am such a proponent of homemade foods. Frankly, it never occurred to me, though,  until I went to my local stores (three of them) during soup sales and could not find it.  Anywhere.  There weren't even little price labels on the shelves indicating that maybe my flavor was out of stock.  Nope.  Smalltown, Arizona has no Italian Wedding Soup!

Left with no alternative, I set out to make my own.  If I hadn't had leftover baked potatoes, I would have used little pasta in my version, but frugality won over authenticity.  It usually does, darn it.  Anyway, the hardest part of making this soup was taking the time to make the tiny meatballs.   I suppose making them bigger would have saved time, but I am so used to those cute little things in the store bought versions.

Italian Wedding Soup (makes enough to feed 12)
6 14 ounce cans chicken broth
2 14 ounce cans beef broth
5 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 small onion, minced
1 bunch fresh spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
1 8 ounce package small pasta like orzo, cooked
1 pound ground turkey
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
In a medium bowl, combine the turkey, cheese, bread crumbs and seasonings.  With your hands combine the ingredients until well incorporated.  Form into small balls, the size of marbles and put on a wire rack set in a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides).  Bake 12 minutes at 375 degrees.  In the meantime, dump the broths, carrots, celery and onion into a large stockpot and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer.  When the meatballs are done, put them into the soup pot, too.  Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.  Place the cooked pasta and the spinach into the soup and cook for about 5 minutes more to wilt the spinach.  

If, like me, you end up using leftover potatoes, add 5 of them near the end, too; just long enough for the cubes to get thoroughly hot.

31 comments:

egbkid said...

Wow,this must make alot of soup! It looks delicious!

LDH said...

Looks perfectly delicious!

FOODESSA said...

All the ingredients must certainly deliver one of the best soups a tummy could love ;o)
Very well done. Brava.

Kristen, thank you for introducing yourself on my blog as well as giving me the opportunity to discover your very interesting kitchen ;o)

Happy New Year and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

boulderlocavore said...

Oooo....I'm also a soup-a-phile and I've not ever heard of Italian Wedding Soup. I so love the thought of it! Do you know the origins of it? I'm charmed just by reading your post. This looks simple, straight forward; a non-fussy soup. Love that. And your blog. And YOU! So glad to have found you 'last' year!

Joanne said...

My grandma used to make this whenever we went over and since then I've never been able to eat the canned version. This one sounds delicious!

Monet said...

I have been making and enjoying so many bowls of soup this winter! I used to be a huge fan of canned soups like Progresso (Their tomato basil was my favorite!) But we had to start watching sodium intake because Ryan had high blood pressure. This homemade variety looks so much better than what I used to buy! Thank you for sharing with me, my dear. I hope you have a lovely Tuesday.

Drick said...

yep, those cute little meat balls are troublesome, but isn't a lot of good cooking? love, love this soup, have not made it in a while and seeing your version beckons me for an afternoon of making it

Faith said...

what is it about those little meatballs that is soooo endearing?! I dont know either but it makes the soup, IMHO!!!!
Looks wonderful!

Belinda said...

This is one of my favorite soups...comforting...yum. Love those meatballs.

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

I love this soup! I grew up in a city that was MOSTLY Italian -- almost 90% of the city was, at that time. My Uncle George owned an Italian supper club named, "Lombardo's" -- the family name was Lombardozzi, but I suppose Lombardo sounded better. This soup was on the menu and during the winter months they had to scurry to keep up with the orders. Also, I attended LOTS of weddings and this soup was ALWAYS on the menu. Did I mention I DISLIKED this soup when I was younger? I did. :( Now, I'm older and trying to get back the flavors of my childhood. That's one reason I was smitten with the "Frankies." I THINK I'll prepare this and say a few prayers of thankfulness. What is there NOT to like about this recipe? Not a thing! Maybe I wasn't crazy about vegetables back then. Then again, maybe I'm not crazy about vegetables now. :) Maybe I can toss in a few Hershey Kisses.

Lawyer Loves Lunch said...

I have also had the canned version and would never have thought to make my own, especially not one with chicken and beef broth. You've inspired me to give it a go, especially because it's so cold here! Happy new year :)

Island Vittles said...

Desperation often results in a better homemade version! Especially around here...we live on a tiny island, and often have to improvise ingredients. At least it's never boring! And look, now you have your favourite soup! Theresa

katerina said...

They are sure worth the effort you placed. These meatball look very cute. The soup is definitely a very comforting and hearty meal. This one looks perfect!

Melissa said...

We've had this at restaurants, but I've never tried making it. Thanks for the recipe!

Alina said...

Gosh, you know I never thought to make this at home. I think I may even use potatoes, though my Italian husband may disagree. Easy recipe. Thanks!

-the constant hunger

Kim @ Quit Eating Out {Recipes to Make Dining Out a Choice, Not a Chore} said...

This is so perfect this time of year... Trying so hard to make only good food choices. Making this with turkey is great. I'm bookmarking this to try ~ and thinking I'll use whole wheat pasta as you suggested in lieu of the potatoes. Thanks for sharing.

happywhennothungry said...

I love Italian wedding soup and this looks amazing! I will definitely have to try making this!

Diethood.com said...

I always look forward to having a bowl of this soup! My mom (not Italian) used to make it at least once a week when we were young...loved it! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Miz Helen said...

This is a great soup. Thank you for sharing and you have a good week!

Emily Malloy said...

I love Italian Wedding Soup. This looks perfect!

Traci Michele said...

LOVE this soup! Thank you. Stopping by to follow!

looks great! stopping by from B&B... I'd love for you to stop by Ordinary Inspirations and follow :-)

Love,
Traci

Pattie T. said...

I have always wanted to make this soup, but like you, never did. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try this. I love your bowl and plate too.

Marie said...

This looks delicious, and thanks very much for the instructions on making the meatballs! (I'm thinking they would divert my childrens' attention from the spinach. Maybe. :) I also like the alternative of using potatoes--can't hurt to have options! It is definitely soup season around here, so thanks for posting this!

Amy said...

Love this soup! And we all need soup, it's 14 degrees here today!

The Mom Chef said...

Believe it or not, I've never tried this soup though I have seen it on the shelves in the past. Of course, I'm not one to particularly go for broth-based soups, but I'd make an exception in this case. I also have a feeling that Dudette would really love the little meatballs. Thanks for sharing your creation.

Claire Gallam said...

I buy this soup every time I go to the store, and I've never made it out of the fear I wouldn't make it as good as Campbell's does!

Claudia said...

I adore this soup. I made it yesterday with ground chicken and it was delicious - but I couldn't make the meatballs tiny - the chicken was too sticky so I had these giant meatballs in my delicate soup. You did so well - this looks perfect and warming and welcomiing.

Christy said...

this is a delicious and hearty soup...i love your homemade version. i am a big fan of italian wedding soup..i always have extra meat when i make my tortellini...so i stash it in the freezer for occasions that i just want a great soup for dinner. i can't wait to try the meatballs in your version of the soup! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club...and welcome!
best
christy

thespicegarden said...

I have never had or made this soup, but boy, does it look good! So interesting blending chicken and beef stock ... and those little meatballs are so cute! It's sou season and this may well be bubbling on my back burner! Thanks!

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I love wedding soup. My grandma used to make it (she's Italian). I haven't made it myself, but I should look up her recipe!

chezsasha said...

Mm...this soup looks lovely. Kudos for making all those mini meatballs...

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.