Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ham and Cheese Bread



Continuing along with Martha Day's Complete Baking, here is a ham and cheese quick bread that is so hearty, it could be a meal all in itself.  She calls it Parma Ham and Parmesan Bread, but because I used Romano cheese and regular deli honey ham, I don't think I can get away with that.  I served it for breakfast after putting a slice of Cheddar cheese on each slice and throwing it under the broiler for a few minutes.  The ham flavor really came through.  The bread texture is that of a buttermilk biscuit.
This bread is a freestyle loaf.  I am sure you could put it into a loaf pan, but the baking time would go up a bit because the loaf would be thicker.  I liked the idea of slapping it down on a baking sheet and molding it into a loaf.  It seems more homey.  
Can you see all of that ham?  The parsley was mostly for looks, but I think it added a nice touch. You could always change out the herb to something a bit stronger.  In fact, a little bit of onion powder would have been yummy and Swiss cheese instead of the Romano/Parmesan would also have been nice.  

Ham and Cheese Bread (adapted from Martha Day's Complete Baking)
1 pound all purpose flour (can use 1/2 whole wheat)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 ounces ham, chopped
1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
2 Tbsp dijon mustard (it called for Meaux mustard, but this is Smalltown, AZ, folks...no Meaux)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk 
milk for glaze, along with extra cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C or gas 6). Flour a baking sheet.  Place flour in a bowl with baking powder, salt, pepper, ham, cheese and parsley.  Combine mustard and buttermilk and pour over the flour mixture.  Stir quickly to form a soft dough.  Put a little more flour on the counter and knead briefly.  Transfer to the baking sheet and form into an oval loaf.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with extra cheese.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped underneath.  Cool before cutting.

29 comments:

Belinda said...

Oh boy, like a built-in sandwich!!

danasfoodforthought said...

This reminds me of Italian coldcut bread... looks great!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Who needs a sandwich! I could eat this all day long!

Brenda said...

This looks AMAZINGLY (is that a word?) good!!! I love the idea of just slapping a piece of cheese on and broiling it......yum!!

The Better Baker said...

WOW! I've made a ton of breads over the years, but don't ever believe I've made one like this. What a great idea! Sounds tasty!

Monet said...

This does look like a meal in and of itself (which makes me happy because I love eating bread for dinner!) Thank you so much for sharing with me tonight...and thanks for all the sweetness you leave on my blog...it means so much to me!

Roxan said...

This totally brings me back to Argentina... they really love their ham and cheese sandwiches there! I can't remember what they call them though, but it's just regular ol' ham and cheese slices between two pieces of white bread. This bread would be a hit over there!

Amy said...

How convenience that your recipe already got the ham and cheese mixed in. :) No need to wrap anything after the bread is done baking!

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

You don't need a sandwich when your bread already has the meat and cheese! What a great combination of flavors.

Faith said...

this seems like it would be a great recipe to serve for brunch... and is it weird a small part of me wants to dip it in egg and make french toast? Im all about the sweet/savory!

Jill Colonna said...

That looks just the ticket with a bowl of creamy veg soup. Delicious - it's even got the Dijon mustard in it!

katerina said...

Just perfect for a great beginning of the day. I would put a slice of feta cheese on top.

21st Century Housewife© said...

What an interesting - and delicious sounding - loaf! It looks wonderful too!

Drick said...

like the rustic look too and really think I would like the extra cheese toasted... sounds like a keeper

bj said...

I want a slice RIGHT NOW...
xoxo bj

briarrose said...

What a neat bread. I fear I would eat a bit too much of it. ;)

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Oh, this would be so good on the side of a BIG bowl of potato soup :)

Blessings!
Gail

thecountrycook said...

Now that is a clever idea. I'm thinking my son would love this since ham & cheese are his favorites. It turned out great!

Miz Helen said...

I am standing in line to get a slice of your wonderful Ham & Cheese Bread. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe with us here at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and please come back!

moowiesqrd said...

Ham, cheese, and bread is a favorite combination, but I usually have it as a sandwich. You've put it all together in one delicious loaf!

Candace said...

Hi! I'm visiting from Full Plate Thursday. This bread looks awesome. It would be absolutely perfect toasted up for breakfast. I can see where you could easily change it up depending on what you had available. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I'm going to be following along with you. Candace

Anna C said...

What a great idea for breakfast on the go! Now this sure beats the fast food competition out of the water. You can't beat homemade goodness with good ingredients.
Anna's Table

Magic of Spice said...

Beautiful loaf of bread you have here, I have never seen bread with ham before :)

Dreamgoddess said...

This bread looks scrumptious! I'd love to try it using your suggestion of Swiss cheese. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

mywanderingspoon said...

Love to try a slice...looks amazing:)

Lo-mo said...

my son would like me to tell you he thinks this is the perfect bread for a ham and cheese sandwich! Looks wonderful! he would probably eat the whole thing in one sitting!

Deborah Dowd said...

This sounds like my kind of bread- easy, it has cheese, and you can change it up. Definitely will give this a try!

Melynda said...

Stopping by from Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday, and your bread is wonderful.

Diethood.com said...

Oh I know that has to be super yummy! And you're right, it's a meal all on its own! Beautiful loaf!

All content in this website including text and pictures is copyrighted and belongs to me. If you need to use it or reproduce it, please ask first. Any unauthorized usage will constitute plagiarism.